Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Apple Mail between Tiger and Leopard

Apple Mail between Tiger and Leopard
infowarrior
Forum Regular
May 31, 2008, 10:54 AM

Is there any problem with copying Apple Mail messages from Leopard Mail to Tiger Mail and back again? I am using Apple Mail on my iMac and would like to have an easy way to keep my local mail sync'd when I am travelling, and then sync'd when I get back to the office and my main Mac.

Ideally I should be running 10.5 on my Powerbook as well, where I could drag-n-drop the stuff between machines running the same OS and applications, but I am not sure if my Powerbook G4 1.67 will handle Leopard comfortably with only 1GB of RAM.

Any thoughts/ideas?

Thanks

Cold Warrior
May 31, 2008, 11:00 AM

The best way to do this is using IMAP. Although I don't think Apple Mail in any version handles IMAP as well as Thunderbird, using IMAP will keep all messages - Inbox, Sent, Drafts, Trash, etc. - on the server, and the Macs' email clients will automatically sync with the IMAP server. You don't have to worry about drag and drop or compatible file formats.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
May 31, 2008, 11:14 AM

There are no IMAP issues in Mail that would make you decide to stay with POP. Switch to IMAP. Almost all mail services support it these days, and if yours doesn't, it's worth switching your e-mail address.

If you use IMAP all your messages are stored on the mail server. You can access them anywhere in the world, from any compter, with any version of Mail or any other Mail kind, or with a webmail interface.

Forum Links
Forum Rules