Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Plugged in or not ?

Plugged in or not ?
Zitax
Forum Regular
Jan 21, 2003, 02:27 PM

Is it better to have the Tibook pluged in all the time or to unplug it until the battery alert is shown and then plug it in again, and so on ?
Also let it sleep plugged or not ?
Thx.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 21, 2003, 02:35 PM

Keeping it plugged in will not cause harm. The main harm from not plugging it in is that you may not have a charged battery available when you need it. (And if you leave it unplugged long enough, the main battery will be depleted, and then eventually the backup battery as well, which is equal to unplugging a desktop Mac without shutting down first.)

tooki

Zitax  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 21, 2003, 10:03 PM

Originally posted by tooki:
Keeping it plugged in will not cause harm. The main harm from not plugging it in is that you may not have a charged battery available when you need it. (And if you leave it unplugged long enough, the main battery will be depleted, and then eventually the backup battery as well, which is equal to unplugging a desktop Mac without shutting down first.)

tooki
Thx for the advice

Anyone else ??

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2003, 10:15 PM

Originally posted by Zitax:
Thx for the advice

Anyone else ??
from what i've read...
its not good to constantly have the battery charging
so i don't know
from now on, when its set on my desk, i'll take my battery out of my Ti

dagmar
Forum Regular
Jan 21, 2003, 10:28 PM

Originally posted by solidage:
from what i've read...
its not good to constantly have the battery charging
so i don't know
from now on, when its set on my desk, i'll take my battery out of my Ti
I just had the whole bottom of an ibook replaced, under warranty, because the battery *wouldn't* stop charging...always showed the lightning bolt, all four green lights came on on the battery, and this continued as long as I had it plugged in. Apparently there's a sensor, both in the battery, and where it connects with the computer, that signals when the battery is charged, and the computer is supposed to switch over to the power supply. (Got this from the friendly and helpful tech support folks.

I'm surmising, therefore, that leaving the battery in doesn't constantly charge it

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 22, 2003, 09:00 AM

Originally posted by dagmar:
I just had the whole bottom of an ibook replaced, under warranty, because the battery *wouldn't* stop charging...always showed the lightning bolt, all four green lights came on on the battery, and this continued as long as I had it plugged in. Apparently there's a sensor, both in the battery, and where it connects with the computer, that signals when the battery is charged, and the computer is supposed to switch over to the power supply. (Got this from the friendly and helpful tech support folks.

I'm surmising, therefore, that leaving the battery in doesn't constantly charge it
Yes this would be true. So keeping it prugged in all the time, would be the same as leaving a desktop mac on all the time with an iPod hooded up via firewire . The iPod (Battery) is charged when needed, and the comp uses outlet power.

-Owl

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 22, 2003, 04:29 PM

I think the question was, more will the batteries in a power book develop a memory similar to the batter in say my old game gear power pac...?

mavapa
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 22, 2003, 04:45 PM

The instructions for my new tibook say that you can leave it plugged in without harming the battery or causing the memory effect.

Zitax  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 23, 2003, 03:00 PM

Thx for the answers.

ASIMO
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2003, 03:28 PM

Originally posted by Zitax:
Thx for the answers.

Hey, you're welcome. You come back, you hear?
I, ASIMO.

rustyclockwork
Forum Regular
Jan 23, 2003, 05:08 PM

Just make sure you actually "use" the battery every now and then... excercise is good for a battery.

For instance, I don't use my little Canon DV camera all the time, once it went unused for four months... but I still turned it on and ran the battery down about every other month.

Lithium-Ions supposedly do not last as long as other rechargables, but I have yet to see one of mine go dead after 3-4 years like they say they do...

I have found with this method that this gets really long battery life expectancy.

Jason

Forum Links
Forum Rules