Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > My Dad LOVES his new Powerbook except...

My Dad LOVES his new Powerbook except...
herbsman
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 30, 2005, 10:57 PM

for the screen. Actually he loves the widescreen display, but he's not too fond of the screen quality. Now when he came to me with that sole complaint I thought he was being too picky. However when he pulled out his 2 year old Sony Vaio, side by side the Vaio had a much more brilliant display in terms of brightness and contrast.

Personally, I'm fine with the Mac way of things, it's the gold standard for me. But my Dad is old and I can see why he prefers the display levels on his other laptop. Question is how can I adjust the screen so that the contrast and color saturation and what not is more like that of a peecee?

Also if you were a switcher, did you have these same types of issues? My Dad had a bunch of his old buds (all long time peecee users) check out laptops at the Apple Store and they all seemed to have that complaint.

crazeazn
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 30, 2005, 11:48 PM

did u try playing with the colour profile? that may help a little.
12" AI book REV B, mac mini core duo 1.66

Randman
Posting Junkie
May 1, 2005, 02:37 AM

Is it a 12, 15, or 17?

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

khisayruou
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 1, 2005, 03:19 AM

Play around with the color display profile, I like it on "sRGB Profile", also calibrate it.
Personally I like the powerbooks display, much more than the glossy ones that are out
for peecees...I hate the reflection of everything, especially while watching movies.

albook
Dedicated MacNNer
May 1, 2005, 04:50 AM

Calibrate the colours. It certainly made a huge difference for me!
Its in System Preferences > Displays > Color > Calibrate...

Randman. It cant be a 12", since he mentioned widescreen display.

robby818
Dedicated MacNNer
May 1, 2005, 07:10 AM

When you calibrate, set the gamma to 2.2 Colors will not look as washed out. He may be happier w/ a PC like gamma setting. But if the issue is brightness and contrast then that is a function of the lcd panel itself so tweaking prob wont do a whole lot.

RussianTiger
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 1, 2005, 09:19 AM

Sony Vaio is the best, Apple PowerBook's sucks! Trust me man, I've had PB 145b, PB Duo 230, PB 520c, PB 1400c, PB G3 292Mhz, PB G4 550Mhz, PB G4 1.25 Al FW800.
Battery life sucks, screen sucks, system Tiger 200 new futures, 2000 new bugs, Apple becoming Microsoft.
SUCKS

analogika
Posting Junkie
May 1, 2005, 09:28 AM

...RELIABLE instant wake-up with full functionality sucks, wireless that works sucks, Bluetooth 2.0 sucks, gigabit ethernet sucks, Superdrive sucks, having pretty much the best laptop keyboard on the market sucks, having a real graphics card (not shared-memory) sucks, keyboard backlighting sucks, auto-dimming screen in darkness sucks, hot-swappable batteries suck, scroll-pad sucks, 1-inch-thick sucks, aluminum sucks, 2.5 kg sucks.

RussianTiger sucks.

analogika
Posting Junkie
May 1, 2005, 09:31 AM

Oh, and for the record, Tiger runs wonderfully on my Macs.

And it (as a .0 version) probably has a lot fewer bugs in it than XP does after SP2, and no real show-stoppers, to boot.

RussianTiger
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 1, 2005, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by analogika
...RELIABLE instant wake-up with full functionality sucks, wireless that works sucks, Bluetooth 2.0 sucks, gigabit ethernet sucks, Superdrive sucks, having pretty much the best laptop keyboard on the market sucks, having a real graphics card (not shared-memory) sucks, keyboard backlighting sucks, auto-dimming screen in darkness sucks, hot-swappable batteries suck, scroll-pad sucks, 1-inch-thick sucks, aluminum sucks, 2.5 kg sucks.

RussianTiger sucks.
I would prefer not instant wake-up, but more stable core, wireless works on the all systems, Bluetooth 2.0 really sucks because there is no devices on the market yet, and BT 1.2 doesn't work correct with all devices at the moment, gigabit ethernet doesn't work with all hubs on the market at the moment as well, superdrive that doesn't burn DVD-RW is sucks, see my topic below, keyboard doesn't count, graphics card not the best that's for sure, keyboard backlighting on the my Al is sucks, auto-dimming screen doesn't count, hot swappable batteries - i would prefer do not swap them, i would like to have a normal one with 7-8 hours of life like pc notebooks has. scroll pad, i don't use it, i use mouse, 1 inch think, i would prefer to have a military 2inch notebook 4kg, yes, and aluminium is sucks because it's not an aluminium it's just some crappy paint that already going away from the case of pb. Enough? I could continue...

cambro
Senior User
May 1, 2005, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by RussianTiger
I would prefer not instant wake-up, but more stable core, wireless works on the all systems, Bluetooth 2.0 really sucks because there is no devices on the market yet, and BT 1.2 doesn't work correct with all devices at the moment, gigabit ethernet doesn't work with all hubs on the market at the moment as well, superdrive that doesn't burn DVD-RW is sucks, see my topic below, keyboard doesn't count, graphics card not the best that's for sure, keyboard backlighting on the my Al is sucks, auto-dimming screen doesn't count, hot swappable batteries - i would prefer do not swap them, i would like to have a normal one with 7-8 hours of life like pc notebooks has. scroll pad, i don't use it, i use mouse, 1 inch think, i would prefer to have a military 2inch notebook 4kg, yes, and aluminium is sucks because it's not an aluminium it's just some crappy paint that already going away from the case of pb. Enough? I could continue...

"More stable core"...that one KILLS me.....

Yes...that is enough....thanks.

b1NARY73
Mac Enthusiast
May 1, 2005, 10:30 AM

Hey friend, all indications seem to point that you need to buy a PEECEE if you do not already have one. I have been using macs since 89, and Tiger to me is the pinnacle of computing excellence, I actually swithced back to mail.app from thunderbird becasue of the improvements made to it in tiger. My theory is to each thier own, some love thier PowerBooks, some like them, some wish they had a Sony Vaio. Buy what you want, use it and enjoy it. My 2 cents.
 Macbook Pro 17" / 2.5GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo / 4GB Ram / 350GB
 Macbook Pro 17" / 2.16GHZ Intel Core Duo / 2GB Ram / 120GB
 Macbook Black / 2.4GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo / 4GB Ram / 350GB

RussianTiger
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 1, 2005, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by b1NARY73
Hey friend, all indications seem to point that you need to buy a PEECEE if you do not already have one. I have been using macs since 89, and Tiger to me is the pinnacle of computing excellence, I actually swithced back to mail.app from thunderbird becasue of the improvements made to it in tiger. My theory is to each thier own, some love thier PowerBooks, some like them, some wish they had a Sony Vaio. Buy what you want, use it and enjoy it. My 2 cents.
I've been using Mac's since 92 and I'm really a huge fan of Apple, but Apple becoming a monster and products getting sucks but they just ignore things that people want to see in their products.
About Tiger: It's have been always, like Apple it is fashion company in the computer industry, nice but honestly nothing really practicle, Dashboard - they just stold the idea from Konfabulator and made some crappy widgets, i didn't see any features that makes me say WOW, yes, it's nice, has a lot of bugs, and it's not practical to use it now, it's more practicle to stay in 10.3.9 for at least when 10.4.8 will come out.
Sorry, man. I have to use Mac's, that's the way I make money.

Randman
Posting Junkie
May 1, 2005, 11:05 AM

Troll.

osxisfun
May 1, 2005, 11:06 AM

> Dashboard - they just stold the idea from Konfabulator and made some crappy widgets,

oh dear god.

go to daringfireball.net and learn something...

BTW, the whole konfab / dashboard is a great litmus test for me i have found...I ususally can ignore anything the person says as soon they bring up some apple stole konfab's idea nonsense....[

RussianTiger
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 1, 2005, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by osxisfun
> Dashboard - they just stold the idea from Konfabulator and made some crappy widgets,

oh dear god.

go to daringfireball.net and learn something...

BTW, the whole konfab / dashboard is a great litmus test for me i have found...I ususally can ignore anything the person says as soon they bring up some apple stole konfab's idea nonsense....[
I have my own point of view on this Dashboard, yes, sure Java is nice for development this widgets and people don't have to pay for Konfab, but the who cares, it's the same thing like MS stold MacOS from Apple and created Windows.
Give me break, http://daringfireball.net/2004/07/konfab_confab

osxisfun
May 1, 2005, 11:35 AM

a) its not java that you use for developing widgets.
b) I don't even know why I responded if you read the article as simply said "give me a break"

RussianTiger
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 1, 2005, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by osxisfun
a) its not java that you use for developing widgets.
b) I don't even know why I responded if you read the article as simply said "give me a break"
I don't think that people cares about the dev. technology issue. I don't want to argue, I have my own opinion and I think Apple stold the idea.

analogika
Posting Junkie
May 1, 2005, 12:00 PM

I would prefer not instant wake-up, but more stable core,
Others have addressed how stupid that point is.
wireless works on the all systems,
No, it does not.
Or rather, you have a better chance of it working if you FIRST remove all proprietary device drivers and hope that XP's own WLAN drivers will work.
IF YOU'RE LUCKY, it may even work after waking from sleep.
Chances of auto-reconnecting after sleep if you've changed your location to within a different, known WLAN, are pretty much zero.
Bluetooth 2.0 really sucks because there is no devices on the market yet,
We're AHEAD of the market, and will still be current in a year, when every other laptop on the market that incorporates an older version of Bluetooth is obsolete, and you're the dumbest troll to have graced this forum in the last few months.
and BT 1.2 doesn't work correct with all devices at the moment,
Never had problems with any devices. Please point out one incompatibility that's not the fault of the device's designer.
gigabit ethernet doesn't work with all hubs on the market at the moment as well,
I don't know about this one. Please point out one incompatibility that's not the fault of the device's designer.
superdrive that doesn't burn DVD-RW is sucks,
Of course it does. Try Tiger sometime.
keyboard doesn't count,
considering that it's the part of the machine that's used the most, simply claiming "it doesn't count" is the argument of a five-year-old.
Yes, it counts.
graphics card not the best that's for sure,
That's rather the opposite of "sucking", isn't it.
keyboard backlighting on the my Al is sucks,
Maybe the your Al is broken.
auto-dimming screen doesn't count,
For every stage musician, it sure as hell does count. For everybody who actually USES a Powerbook on the move, it sure as hell does count.
hot swappable batteries - i would prefer do not swap them, i would like to have a normal one with 7-8 hours of life like pc notebooks has.
Agreed. It's certainly the next-best thing, though.
scroll pad, i don't use it, i use mouse,
Mouse, I don't use it, I use track pad. No mouse room on my lap.
1 inch think, i would prefer to have a military 2inch notebook
Then please buy one.
4kg, yes,
2.5 kg for the 15", 2.1 kg for the 12", 3.1 kg for the 17". You've never used one, have you?
and aluminium is sucks because it's not an aluminium it's just some crappy paint that already going away from the case of pb.
There is NO PAINT on the aluminum Powerbooks.

You may be talking about the Titanium Powerbook G4. That was painted. It hasn't been sold for about two years.

Go home, troll.

-s*

itguy05
Forum Regular
May 1, 2005, 12:10 PM

Let's see here:

1) I have no issues with the stability of OSX 10.3 and 10.4. 10.3 rocked on my iMac - months long uptimes, and I have a feeling 10.4 will rock on my new PB. So far Tiger is rocking on the PB.

2) BT works with the devices I care about: SE T637 and Tungsten T. No issues on either the iMac or the new PB.

3) Not sure where you get your info on GB E-Net - I'm in the industry and GB E-Net has been a standard for quite a while now. Even PC notebooks are starting to support it now that the Intel Centerinwho chipset supports it.

4) Not sure about thew DVD-RW thing, but according to Apple:
Code:
The slot-loading SuperDrive (DVD�RW/CD-RW) reads DVD titles at 8x and writes to 4.7GB DVD-R discs up to 8x.
DVD-R's burn and I have not tried a RW yet but I will shortly. If my 3 year old iMac G4 can burn DVD-RW, I'm sure this new beast will.

5) Keyboard backlighting and auto dimming screen rocks on my PB. It's almost the best invention since sliced bread!

6) You do realize about the only PC laptops that come standard with 8 hour battery life are the Panasonic toughbooks? They have huge batteries (and are huge), take darn near 4 hours to fully charge, and can go for about 8 hours. The rest of them, for the most part get 8 hours with more batteries. IIRC, in the case of IBM and Dell, you hotswap the CD with an additional battery to get the battery life.

7) The Aluminum is true Aluminum, not paint. If it were paint, you would see the problems that affected the TiBook users with paint peeling. You don't with the AlBooks as the only issues are scratches (to be expected given Al is a soft, yet strong metal). You also hear some oxidation issues, but then again that's to be expected.

Might I suggest you check your facts before ranting. Lends a little credibility to your arguments.

Needless to say I'm thrilled with my new PB - much faster than the G4/800 iMac it replaces and is a great all around laptop. My only issue is it's very large (I have the 15"), but I knew that going into it and wanted the screen real estate. If only they made a 1280x1024 12" I'd be all over that!

Either way I'll get my 3 years of service out of this and then get the next greatest thing!

Altair
Forum Regular
May 1, 2005, 12:12 PM

I don't think that people cares about the dev. technology issue. I don't want to argue, I have my own opinion and I think Apple stold the idea.
Go back to slashdot troll. If you cared to do any research, you would find that Apple had a previous widget application that was just like Konfabulator. Here is an exert from the website that you did not read:

"Obviously, Apple ripped off the idea for Dashboard. Stolen wholesale, without even the decency to mention where they took the original idea.

Which, of course, would be the desk accessories from the original 1984 Macintosh � conceived by Bud Tribble and engineered (mostly) by Andy Hertzfeld."

So with that in mind, Konfabulator stole from Apple!!!111one

Trolls are dumb
12" PB 867 *Retired :( *
2.2 Ghz 15" Macbook Pro

osxisfun
May 1, 2005, 12:15 PM

I have my own opinion and I think Apple stold the idea.

I have my own opinion and I think the world is flat.

analogika
Posting Junkie
May 1, 2005, 12:40 PM

It is from where I'm sitting.

Randman
Posting Junkie
May 1, 2005, 01:29 PM

I think Russian Tiger's head is flat, but that's just from where I'm sitting.

andretan
Grizzled Veteran
May 1, 2005, 02:30 PM

I think his Engrish is sucks.

mac.goodies webstore / Switched to an iBook in November 2002. Never looking back.
iBook R.I.P. 20 Nov 2002 - 2 Aug 2005
Hello Leopard! On iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 2GB, iPod 5th gen 30GB and iPhone

Forum Links
Forum Rules