Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Help me buy a great Keyboard

Help me buy a great Keyboard
blackstar
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 11, 2008, 08:54 PM

Hi,

I love typing on my Powerbook. Unfortunately I only type on it when I'm on the road. At home I use a el cheapo Logitech keyboard and I have gotten really fed up with it. So I am looking for a keyboard at home that lives up to the Powerbook's Keyboard standard.
So far I have looked into:

iOne Scorpius M10: good price and all the features I like
Das Keyboard II: awesome looks, but not so sure about it's performance
Matias Tactile Pro 2: looks great, but unfortunately has a lot of features I probably won't need and is really expensive.
TVS Gold: I hear that it performs, but don't know where to buy it. Has L-shaped Enter key.
Unicomp Customizer 104: continues IBM's legacy
Apple Extended Keyboard 2: should I dare?
Cherry Corp: I hear good stuff, but don't know where to buy it
IBM M: the legacy, but doesn't have a option key and would need a usb converter

As you can tell I am looking into a keyboard with mechanical switches. If you can give me some advice, please do so, I'd be very thankful. If I left something out, please let me know. If you know where to get a TVS Gold, post!

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2008, 09:05 PM

The MacAlley IceKey is supposed to use the same thin scissor switches that the PowerBooks use.

blackstar  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 11, 2008, 09:10 PM

yes, I have read about that. But, I was looking more into a classic full size keyboard, instead of laptop keyboard. But it is a thing to keep in mind.

brettcamp
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 13, 2008, 05:39 AM

I have the Matias Tactile 1 and use it as an external keyboard with my MacBook (and before that my PowerBook). As all the reviews said, it's fantastic in every way except
1. it's noisy. Clack clack clack. Some people like that. Not me. Nor my wife, who can hear it in the room next door.
2. It's so different from my MacBook keyboard that switching back and forth inevitably produces lots of typos until my hands readjust. Since I mostly use the MacBook without the external keyboard, I'm ready to trade my Matias in for one of the new Apple wireless keyboards, which are basically the MacBook keyboard detached. I'm willing to sell my Matias for a reasonable price -- PM me if you're interested.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 13, 2008, 10:51 AM

Try the new Apple keyboard. It's inexpensive and really quite good.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Forum Links
Forum Rules