Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Best Document application for writing thesis

Best Document application for writing thesis
prakash
Mar 14, 2008, 10:46 AM

Hello

I am a biological research scientist and recenly moved to using macs, bought a powerbook.

I would like to know, what is the best document application, for writing thesis, that is widely used by most researchers using macs.

I know of

1. Mac office
2. Pages

Is there any better ones, that is meant specifically for writing research papers or thesis?

I would prefer to use a native mac application, instead of using windows in a VM mode.

Kindly help.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 14, 2008, 05:50 PM

TeX: it's the only sane way to write long scientific documents. More info in the Wikipedia.

OreoCookie
Mar 14, 2008, 06:19 PM

LaTeX, yes, that's the way to go for scientific publications. Get a nice editor (I prefer TextMate (€35) + Skim (free) to TeXShop (free)) and download a TeX distro (google for TeXShop, they have instructions there). Before you say `well, that looks a bit complicated, too much for me', you will never, ever have problems you would have with Word or so. You have very powerful `templates' that take care of everything (numbering of images, tables and formulas) and in essence it's much easier than html.

Otherwise, I would recommend Nisus Writer Pro.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

prakash  (op)
Mar 14, 2008, 06:26 PM

Thanks a lot, i have downloaded texshop.

Prakash

philm
Mac Elite
Mar 14, 2008, 07:34 PM

On a related theme, can I recommend Papers.app to organise your, err, papers. Perhaps the nicest bit of software I have on my Mac.

Beautygeek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 14, 2008, 10:33 PM

i dont know what biologists are using, but in my area, TeX is the best choice.
here is a web site MacTeX - TeX Users Group
it explains how to download and install the distribution from TeX user group.

brettcamp
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 17, 2008, 01:00 AM

I don't know about science research in particular, but Mellel is very popular among academics generally.
And for organizing all your research material, try DevonThink or DevonNote.

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Mar 17, 2008, 05:03 PM

I don't know any academic biologists that use TeX - it's more of a math/physics thing. Pretty much all of the biologists and chemists I know use Word and Endnote.

vexingv
Mar 17, 2008, 11:01 PM

i suggest using office/word 2004 along with Endnote. note that i didn't say Word 2008 because there is currently no version of Endnote that is compatible with it (and probably won't be for awhile as office 2008 has removed a lot of script/macro functionality). and if you don't know what Endnote is (or some other type of reference/bibliographic manager), maybe you shouldn't be writing a thesis...

Forum Links
Forum Rules