Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Safari 3.0 beta

Safari 3.0 beta (Page 6)
- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 23, 2007, 06:33 PM

Heh. Luckily I held off on 10.4.10, so I only had to do one restart between them

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 23, 2007, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Mediaman_12 View Post
Because it's not updating 'just the web browser', it's updating the Webkit framework too. which it used by all sorts of other parts of the OS (ie Dashboard). Notice how installing v3 removed v2.
So? It's an HTML rendering engine, not a network service constantly listening on a port or something. If Dashboard preloads Webkit into memory or something, it should pick up the new libraries once Dashboard has been restarted, and should continue to work fine using the current version. If Dashboard loads the HTML rendering engine as needed, it should pick up the changes without having to restart it.

It shouldn't be necessary to force a system restart, and especially so if you aren't even using Dashboard. Very lame.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 23, 2007, 09:06 PM

Only geeks obsess about uptime. It's a vital system service, hence it's safer to restart. Though a log-in and log-out would have sufficed, all accounts would have to be re-logged in. It's just simpler to restart the system rather than restart all apps that rely on WebKit.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 23, 2007, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
Only geeks obsess about uptime. It's a vital system service, hence it's safer to restart. Though a log-in and log-out would have sufficed, all accounts would have to be re-logged in. It's just simpler to restart the system rather than restart all apps that rely on WebKit.
Restarting is a pain in the ass. I hate doing it, and therefore postpone for as long as I can (possibly making me vulnerable while I do so). This is also partially why OS X Server is not treated seriously, because this is just simply dumb. With other Unix OSes, the only time a restart is necessary is if the kernel is modified. Why this is not desirable is beyond me. How hard is it to get Software Update to restart services as needed? Apple even designed their own system service launch mechanism (launchd) for Pete's sake! Why not move the vital system services under launchd control and restart them? Why would this be incredibly difficult?

This is extremely lame.
( Last edited by besson3c; Jun 23, 2007 at 09:21 PM. )

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 23, 2007, 09:19 PM

Let's see... Requires restarts:

- Many security updates - check (even if these apply to services not running)
- Quicktime - check
- Safari - check
- OS X updates - check (this is understandable when the kernel is modified)
- firmware updates - check (this is also understandable)

What's next? Restarts for iPod updates? iLife? iWork? Calculator?

jasong
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2007, 12:22 AM

I know, I am actually considering a class action lawsuit over Apple forcing me to restart so often. I lost 30 seconds today while my TiBook rebooted after updating to 10.4.10 and the latest Safari beta.

Maybe we can start an internet petition decrying rebooting in OS X?
-- Jason

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 24, 2007, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by jasong View Post
I know, I am actually considering a class action lawsuit over Apple forcing me to restart so often. I lost 30 seconds today while my TiBook rebooted after updating to 10.4.10 and the latest Safari beta.

Maybe we can start an internet petition decrying rebooting in OS X?
I don't feel wronged, I just feel that it's not a particularly flattering part of OS X, and definitely frustrating.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 24, 2007, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
So? It's an HTML rendering engine, not a network service constantly listening on a port or something. If Dashboard preloads Webkit into memory or something, it should pick up the new libraries once Dashboard has been restarted, and should continue to work fine using the current version. If Dashboard loads the HTML rendering engine as needed, it should pick up the changes without having to restart it.

It shouldn't be necessary to force a system restart, and especially so if you aren't even using Dashboard. Very lame.
If you're sure you can restart all the services that might somehow link to something in WebKit (which would probably be more troublesome and time-consuming than restarting, but whatever), you're free to force quit the installer. Otherwise, Apple is rightly doing the simplest thing that could possibly work.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

DuckRacer1
Forum Regular
Jun 24, 2007, 12:45 AM

Question: how much improved is Safari 3.0.2 compared to the first version released (3.0.0)? Is it faster? Not as noticeably buggy?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 24, 2007, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
If you're sure you can restart all the services that might somehow link to something in WebKit (which would probably be more troublesome and time-consuming than restarting, but whatever), you're free to force quit the installer. Otherwise, Apple is rightly doing the simplest thing that could possibly work.
I really fail to see what is so hard about doing an lsof to find out what running processes are using Webkit, putting Safari in launchd, restarting Webkit, and offering to restart other applications using Webkit?

DanD
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 24, 2007, 01:16 AM

Does anyone know if there is a way to prevent any link from opening up a new window. For example, if you click a link from here, normally it would open a new window, but I would like it to open a new tab so I only have one window open at a time.

Thanks,

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 24, 2007, 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by DanD View Post
Does anyone know if there is a way to prevent any link from opening up a new window. For example, if you click a link from here, normally it would open a new window, but I would like it to open a new tab so I only have one window open at a time.

Thanks,
I'm pretty sure you can do this with Saft right now. The problem is, there are legitimate reasons why you might want a small detached window floating above another, so this doesn't work well IMHO...

Hal Itosis
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 24, 2007, 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by DanD View Post
Command-click the link.
-HI-

voiceofra
Forum Regular
Jun 24, 2007, 01:36 AM

I can't believe you people are whining about having to restart your ****ing Macs.
Oh, boohoo, "it's not particularly flattering".
How many times - other than these occasional updates that require it - do you have to actually have to restart, compared to Windows? How many OS X apps require a restart vs Windows apps? How many Windows apps are drag-n-drop installation?
Waah.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 24, 2007, 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by voiceofra View Post
I can't believe you people are whining about having to restart your ****ing Macs.
How many times - other than these occasional updates that require it - do you have to actually have to restart, compared to Windows? How many OS X apps require a restart vs Windows apps? How many Windows apps are drag-n-drop installation?
Waah.
Don't know, don't really care, I don't use Windows.

irunat2am
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 24, 2007, 02:55 AM

Edit: Screw it. Nevermind.
24" iMac 2.16GHz c2d ~ 3G ram ~ 250G ~ Superdrive ~ Pure Sexiness
15" Powerbook G4 ~ 1.5GHz ~ 1.5G ram ~ 160G ~ Combo

Gus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 24, 2007, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
The problem is Acrobat 7, not Safari. Upgrade to 8 and everything is alright.

The new 8 plugin is pure delight after what Adobe presented us with before.
Well, I just edited the safari .plist to enable PDF-support in webkit manually and now I can view PDF's inline again.
Glad I didn't jump to get a rather expensive upgrade to Acrobat 8 without trying that out first.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 24, 2007, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by voiceofra View Post
Waah.
You are so absolutely correct.

I've heard there are people in Ethiopia who don't even have a computer!

jasong
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2007, 09:59 PM

Ethiopia, that's just a place the govt. made up to placate us.
-- Jason

Forum Links
Forum Rules