Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Putting Ubuntu 6.06 on old iBook?

Putting Ubuntu 6.06 on old iBook?
Ph1l0z0ph3r
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 18, 2007, 09:16 PM

Im debating on putting Ubuntu 6.06.1 LTS (Dapper Drake) on an old iBook whose stats are:

iBook G3 Dual USB (May 1, 2001) – Second Generation iBook G3

* 12.1-inch Active-matrix TFT Display (1024x768 max resolution)
* PowerPC G3 600 MHz
* 256 KB L2 cache
* 64 or 128 MB RAM
* ATI Rage Mobility 8 MB VRAM
* 15 GB Hard Disk
* CD/CDRW/DVD/Combo
* USB 1.1, Firewire, Video Out, Ethernet
* Airport (802.11b, optional)
* Mac OS X 10.1
* 2.2 kg

Will this OS run good enough on this old laptop. I wanna install a Linux to try them out and im starting a Perl class for my college CSET course so this would be a great addition to my school stuff.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 18, 2007, 10:12 PM

Since Ubuntu dropped official PPC support, I think there are other, better choices going forward.

Fedora and SuSE both have PPC support, as do Debian and Yellow Dog (a Mac-specific distro).

If you really want to go with Ubuntu, I'd go with the unofficial 7.04 release for PPC, assuming you've upgraded the machines memory.

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2007, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
If you really want to go with Ubuntu, I'd go with the unofficial 7.04 release for PPC, assuming you've upgraded the machines memory to 640MB.
That would be best. I have the same iBook of similar specs and it runs like a charm (if a bit slow).
Signature depreciated.

Ph1l0z0ph3r  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 18, 2007, 11:07 PM

So what would you guys recommend just getting unofficial Ubuntu or another Linux OS?

rjt1000
Senior User
Sep 19, 2007, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by Ph1l0z0ph3r View Post
So what would you guys recommend just getting unofficial Ubuntu or another Linux OS?
I've been having a good time playing with Ubuntu Feisty on my trusty Pismo (PowerBook G3 500) with 768mb RAM (dual booting with OS X). It took a little work to get it installed and configured (mostly overcoming newbie errors), but once done, it runs quite well.

Your specs are similar to the Pismo, so I think you will find it will also run well--BUT you should definitely increase the RAM to an absolute minimum of 256mb (and of course, the more the better).

Chances are, you will need to do some tweaking here and there to get all the hardware components working. But as long as you are patient and willing to learn, you should be fine.

Check out ubuntuforums.org and the Apple PPC forum in particular, where there is plenty of help available.

Forum Links
Forum Rules