Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > How to wake remote sleeping Mac via SSH?

How to wake remote sleeping Mac via SSH?
rjt1000
Senior User
Aug 20, 2008, 07:37 AM

I routinely use SSH via the internet to log onto and administer a remote Mac which is running OSX 10.4 and is connected to the internet via AirPort. All works fine, unless the remote Mac is asleep.

I have the "wake for Ethernet network administrator access" checkbox checked in the Energy Saver system preferences on the remote Mac.

However, I still cannot log on to the remote Mac if it is asleep.

Is there a way to do this? Does the remote Mac need to be connected via ethernet rather than AirPort for this to work? Do I have to settle for not letting the remote Mac sleep?

Thanks for any insights.

rjt1000

larkost
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2008, 11:50 AM

It sounds like the computer that you want to access is not on the same subnet as where you are trying to access it from. Since that is the case, there is no way of sending a "magic packet" (that really is the name) to wake up the sleeping computer. So you are going to have to disable sleep on the target computer.

ide3308
Aug 20, 2008, 01:10 PM

Perhaps you can set the sleep schedule to wake the machine up in time for your access? Or at least let it sleep through the night until the earliest time you would like to access it. I used to do that when I hosted parts of my website locally on my Mac Pro.

rjt1000  (op)
Senior User
Aug 21, 2008, 06:20 AM

Thanks for the info and suggestions.

rjt1000

Forum Links
Forum Rules