Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > What PCI Video to get?

What PCI Video to get?
Dan Szwarc
Senior User
Dec 9, 2001, 11:25 AM

OK, I've got a 7300 that still has some spunk left in it, and I would like to do a little upgrading to make it a little more like it's Pismo 500 partner.

I plan on doing a CPU upgrade, upping ram, and adding a huge IDE harddisk with maybe raid, but here's my question:

What video card should I put in it? I'd like to run OSX eventually and I hear that there are issues with the Voodoo3 cards so that choice is out.

Would a VooDoo 5500 or 4000 or whatever be a good choice? Are driver's still available that work ok? I don't really plan on playing any games. I just want a card that can support many colors at a high resolution. Should I even bother with a 3D card?

I might start doing video on this machine. I figure a 400MHz G4 and a raid setup will give me a tolerable system. My powerbook lacks the HD space and cheap upgradeability as the 7300.

Are there video cards that can accerate DV video without costing an arm and a leg? Am I wasting my time?

Should I just focus on a Radeon or ATI card? Does nVidia make anything that woks?

Here's the kicker. I want the card to cost less than $100.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Dan
"I guarantee that I am correct."
(not a guarantee)

Dan Szwarc  (op)
Senior User
Dec 10, 2001, 08:51 PM

I got some responses on video in another thread regarding a $40 ixMicro 8MB card. Sounds right up my alley.

[ 12-11-2001: Message edited by: Dan Szwarc ]
Dan
"I guarantee that I am correct."
(not a guarantee)

Fyre4ce
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2001, 01:01 AM

I would think hard about the Voodoo5 5500. Of course, 3dfx is defunct, so you won't get any support, but if you want a card "as is" you could probably find one cheap on eBay. Haven't had any personal experience with 3dfx cards, but I hear they're pretty good.
Fyre4ce

Let it burn.

Cipher13
Dec 11, 2001, 09:18 AM

I'd go for an ATI Rage 128 Pro just personally...

Forum Links
Forum Rules