Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Muslims never object to violence

Muslims never object to violence
Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 8, 2006, 04:40 AM

Except when they do.

KABUL, Afghanistan - Afghanistan's top Islamic organization on Wednesday called for an end to violent protests against drawings of the Prophet Muhammad, as police shot dead two protesters to stop an angry crowd from marching on a U.S. military base in the southern part of the country.

Fourteen people were wounded in the clash in Qalat city, including ten protesters and four Afghan security forces who were struck by flying rocks, said Ahmad Khan, a doctor at the city's main hospital.

The clash came a day after international peacekeepers exchanged fire with protesters in a remote northern Afghan city, leaving three demonstrators dead and prompting NATO to send reinforcements.

As a third day of bloody unrest began across the country, members of Afghanistan's Ulama Council, the country's top Islamic clerics' organization, went on radio and television to appeal for calm.

"Islam says it's all right to demonstrate but not to resort to violence. This must stop," senior cleric Mohammed Usman told The Associated Press. "We condemn the cartoons but this does not justify violence. These rioters are defaming the name of Islam."

Senior Afghan officials said al-Qaida and the Taliban could be exploiting anger over the cartoons to incite violence.
Ordinarily I wouldn't bother to post this, but since so many people have been telling me lately that they never see things like this, I thought I would point it out.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Feb 8, 2006, 05:24 AM

Or the "Not in Our Name" petition which just under 700.000 Muslims have signed.

To those against whom war is made, permission is given (to fight), because they are wronged;- and verily, Allah is most powerful for their aid

PacHead
Baninated
Feb 8, 2006, 06:42 AM

So what ? Let them riot, the only morons who are dying are themselves. This is Darwinism in action right here. I'm sure the US military base can take care of it's own. Anybody who is that ignorant, intolerant and brainwashed who resorts to violence over a cartoon deserves what they get.

PacHead
Baninated
Feb 8, 2006, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by von Wrangell
That's nice, but what about the hundreds of millions who have a favorable view of Bin Laden ?

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Feb 8, 2006, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by PacHead
That's nice, but what about the hundreds of millions who have a favorable view of Bin Laden ?

Was there an "In our name" petition that hundreds of millions of Muslims signed? Or are you just making an assumption to support your opinion?

Kevin
Baninated
Feb 8, 2006, 10:30 AM

"The Afghan protests have involved armed men and have been directed at foreign and Afghan government targets — fueling the suspicions there's more behind the unrest than religious sensitivities."

I agree. It's just an excuse.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Feb 8, 2006, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin
"The Afghan protests have involved armed men and have been directed at foreign and Afghan government targets — fueling the suspicions there's more behind the unrest than religious sensitivities."

I agree. It's just an excuse.
Certainly there are people who use their religion as an excuse to be violent. Just as there are people who use environmental protests, G8 protests, and sporting event wins and losses as an excuse to be violent.

PacHead
Baninated
Feb 8, 2006, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak
Was there an "In our name" petition that hundreds of millions of Muslims signed? Or are you just making an assumption to support your opinion?
No, there was no "In our name" petition that hundreds of millions of Muslims signed, many in those countries probably can't even read. There was however many polls conducted in many Islamic countries and in quite a few of those countries Osama is looked upon favorably by a great many people, sometimes more than 50%. The question is how many hundreds of millions there are of them worldwide, that's the scary part.

PacHead
Baninated
Feb 8, 2006, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak
Certainly there are people who use their religion as an excuse to be violent. Just as there are people who use environmental protests, G8 protests, and sporting event wins and losses as an excuse to be violent.
The only problem is that way too many Muslims worldwide are using their religion as an excuse to be violent. What's the use in even mentioning those other things ? We all know that already.

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2006, 05:41 PM

Good to see such reaction from the senior cleric in Afghanistan. Now I hope others will follow suit. This has gone on far too long. I think everyone agrees with that.

cheers

W-Y

“Building Better Worlds”

Rolling Bones
Banned
Feb 8, 2006, 06:50 PM

Let's face it, Muslims have declared war on the west many hundreds of years ago and it will never end till the west wins or loses.

Which side do you want to be on?

Chuckit  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 8, 2006, 07:40 PM

Face it, your prejudices don't constitute enough evidence for anyone in their right mind.
Chuck
___

Pendergast
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2006, 07:53 PM

You have a list of all the people who contributed to the following?

1) World Peace
2) World Justice
3) War against Hunger
4) War against Abuse of Human Rights
5) War against Environment Spoiling and Pollution
6) War against Senseless Waste

?

And is your name on any of those lists?
"Criticism is a misconception: we must read not to understand others but to understand ourselves.”

Emile M. Cioran

PacHead
Baninated
Feb 8, 2006, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
Face it, your prejudices don't constitute enough evidence for anyone in their right mind.
You call it prejudice, I call it being intelligent and informed.

PacHead
Baninated
Feb 8, 2006, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Pendergast
And is your name on any of those lists?
It most certainly is not.

Pendergast
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2006, 08:14 PM

It most certainly is not.
I declare you public enemy #1, and accuse you of potential crimes against humanity.

Now get lost.
"Criticism is a misconception: we must read not to understand others but to understand ourselves.”

Emile M. Cioran

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 8, 2006, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by von Wrangell
That campaign is put forth by the terrorist-front CAIR.

I am much more encouraged by the post Chuckit made at the beginning of this thread than by anything CAIR can come up with.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

PacHead
Baninated
Feb 8, 2006, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Pendergast
I declare you public enemy #1, and accuse you of potential crimes against humanity.

Now get lost.
And I declare you to be ridiculous. Anybody with common sense knows that it's best to prioritize one war at a time. That war was not mentioned in your silly, irrelevant little list. And no sorry, I won't get lost. This is a free country and if you don't like it you are free to move to Saudi Arabia.

Pendergast
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2006, 08:58 PM

And I declare you to be ridiculous. Anybody with common sense knows that it's best to prioritize one war at a time. That war was not mentioned in your silly, irrelevant little list. And no sorry, I won't get lost. This is a free country and if you don't like it you are free to move to Saudi Arabia.
Yet, I am applying the same line of reasoning you apply on Muslims.

So I guess I can call you ridiculous, and proved it.

As for Saudi Arabia, I have no wish to be there; but what the heck are troops doing there?

Emile M. Cioran

Chuckit  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 8, 2006, 09:14 PM

You call it prejudice, I call it being intelligent and informed.

Except he himself has said that his judgment of Muslims ("ALL Muslims," as he puts it) is based on what he imagines they're thinking. There's nothing informed about that — it's simple prejudice. Unless you believe Rolling Bones to have some psychic link to the Muslims of the world, I guess.
Chuck
___

Rolling Bones
Banned
Feb 8, 2006, 10:54 PM

Except he himself has said that his judgment of Muslims ("ALL Muslims," as he puts it) is based on what he imagines they're thinking. There's nothing informed about that — it's simple prejudice. Unless you believe Rolling Bones to have some psychic link to the Muslims of the world, I guess.
What is your religion? What race are you?

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2006, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by Rolling Bones
Let's face it, Muslims have declared war on the west many hundreds of years ago and it will never end till the west wins or loses.

Which side do you want to be on?
If it's a winner-takes-all conflict as you have intimated this to be then there will be NO winners.
There will be those who kill everyone opposed to them and those who will get killed as a result.
Either way, both sides will wind up with a lot of blood on their hands from wanton killing and I
would not want to be a party to either side's claim to "victory".
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

PacHead
Baninated
Feb 8, 2006, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by dcmacdaddy
If it's a winner-takes-all conflict as you have intimated this to be then there will be NO winners.
There will be those who kill everyone opposed to them and those who will get killed as a result.
Either way, both sides will wind up with a lot of blood on their hands from wanton killing and I
would not want to be a party to either side's claim to "victory".
That's ridiculous, the one side would be wiped out fairly quickly.

PacHead
Baninated
Feb 8, 2006, 11:51 PM

I was replying to your comment which was not addressed to anybody. I'm not Rolling Bones.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 9, 2006, 12:08 AM

That's ridiculous, the one side would be wiped out fairly quickly.
Like I said,
Originally Posted by dcmacdaddy
Either way, both sides will wind up with a lot of blood on their hands from wanton killing
and I would not want to be a party to either side's claim to "victory".
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

Chuckit  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 9, 2006, 12:30 AM

I was replying to your comment which was not addressed to anybody. I'm not Rolling Bones.
It was addressed to Rolling Bones, who made the post directly preceding.

Incidentally, if you didn't know who I was addressing, how could you possibly say whether Anonymous was displaying prejudice or reason?
Chuck
___

PacHead
Baninated
Feb 9, 2006, 12:37 AM

It was addressed to Rolling Bones, who made the post directly preceding.

Incidentally, if you didn't know who I was addressing, how could you possibly say whether Anonymous was displaying prejudice or reason?
You didn't quote him in your post and I took your post as meaning anybody.

Taliesin
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2006, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by Rolling Bones
What is your religion? What race are you?
I'm curious, are you playing the racist as a sort of parody, or are you a really convinced racist?

Taliesin

Y3a
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2006, 08:35 AM

Pendergast
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2006, 08:20 PM

Another positive example.

Des musulmans de Montréal vont participer samedi après-midi à une manifestation devant l'université McGill. La manifestation, qui se veut pacifique, entend dénoncer les caricatures du prophète Mahomet.

L'imam de la mosquée Al-Qods, Saïd Jaziri, a lancé un appel à tous, afin de dénoncer les atteintes à toutes les religions.

À l'origine, la manifestation devait se terminer devant le consulat du Danemark au centre-ville, mais vendredi, l'itinéraire a été modifié.
And some more stuff in English
Montreal Muslims pledge protest will be peaceful
Updated Tue. Feb. 7 2006 11:23 PM ET

Canadian Press

MONTREAL — As violent protests continue throughout the Muslim world over cartoons depicting the prophet Muhammad, organizers of a protest in Montreal promise a peaceful gathering this weekend.

Said Jazari, imam of the Al Qods Mosque in Montreal, said local Muslims need a outlet for their frustration, but he said violence will not be tolerated at the demonstration planned for Saturday. "We're trying to denounce all acts of violence, all acts of terrorism, and also condemn the caricatures against the prophet Muhammad," Jazari said in an interview.

Salam Elmenyawi, leader of the Muslim Council of Montreal, said he has received dozens of phone calls from Muslims angry about the caricatures originally published in a Danish newspaper last fall.

But Elmenyawi expressed concern the weekend gathering could turn violent. Many of the city's mosques will also open their doors to the public this weekend to foster understanding, he said.

"The issue is very highly emotionally charged and we do not want to risk any backlash, having seen what has happened elsewhere," he said.

The caricatures, among them one depicting Muhammad with a fuse protruding from a bomb-shaped turban, were first published in Denmark in September and have since been reprinted in other European newspapers.

Islamic tradition bars any depiction of the prophet, favourable or otherwise, and violent protests have erupted in Afghanistan, Iraq, Pakistan, India, Lebanon, the Philippines and Indonesia.

The newspaper that first published the cartoons has apologized, but demonstrations continue.

In Canada, more than 200 Muslims staged a peaceful demonstration last weekend outside the Danish consulate in downtown Halifax.

The head of the Muslim Canadian Congress has denounced the violence and the Toronto-based Council on American-Islamic Relations Canada urged Canadian Muslims to use the controversy as a means to open dialogue with non-Muslims.

"I think we need to start talking to each other about this and I'm not convinced protests are the best way to do that," Riad Saloojee, executive director of the council, said from Toronto.

Jazari thanked Canadian media for not publishing the offending caricatures and he said organizers will work with Montreal police to ensure a peaceful gathering on the weekend.

"We won't accept any acts of violence during this protest," he said.

A Montreal police spokesman said Tuesday that as a matter of course, city police deploy to such demonstrations to control traffic and the crowd.

Elmenyawi said the council and the 40 Muslim organizations it represents denounce the violence that has broken out around the world.

Instead of joining in the demonstration, many Montreal mosques will open their doors as early as this weekend in an effort to combat "Islam-ophobia."

"This, we thought, was a much better approach than going out and marching in the streets," Elmenyawi said.

Jazari said the doors of his mosque are always open but that won't do to calm anger over the drawings.

Muslims are insulted, he said.

"They're going to yell a bit. . . then it's finished," Jazari said.

Emile M. Cioran

Forum Links
Forum Rules