Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > F1 Season 2014

F1 Season 2014
mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2014, 07:44 AM

Thorzdad
Apr 7, 2014, 10:25 AM

The first two races were kind of "meh". The Bahrain race, though, was great all through the field. Even the two lead Mercedes' were fighting hard against each other.
I'm still undecided about the sound of the new engines. Though, they sound a whole lot better from the in-car camera than they do from trackside.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2014, 11:51 AM

Bahrain was a great race, really enjoyed watching it lastnight.

The sound is ok for me, they're quieter, but its a different sound, with all the whirrs and whistles along with the engine sound. And you can hear stuff now like the tyre screech on locked up brakes and launching from the pit stops. Less downforce because there's no funky stuff going on with exhausts and diffusers also means the cars are moving around under power instead of just being planted.

Magnussen is looking good for a rookie.

Ricciardo looks like he can get up there with Vettel, he's racey and happy to tell them he was faster than SV in Bahrain.

Williams are back, and the Martini colours look cool.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

is not
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 7, 2014, 12:36 PM

I love the uncompetitiveness of ferrari

Guys, the Mercedes pulled 3 seconds per lap after the safety car. I can remember something like that in OZ 98 when the McLaren-Mercedes lapped the entire field.

is not
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 7, 2014, 12:41 PM

I don't have problems with the sound, you need to adapt but nothing else.
Luca di Montezemolo and Bernie, the biggest lossers at Bahrain GP.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2014, 01:37 PM

I bow before the Mercedes folks. Every engine supplier have had what… five (?) years to get ready for the 2014 Season and only Mercedes have managed to be up to the duty.

I still don't know -it's been only three races- how competitive the McLaren is… engine is an absolute beast, the car otherwise seems to have too much drag.

I agree on the Williams livery, it looks classy but half-done. The sidepods are naked. If only the Martini ribbon were directed towards there, the 'powered by Mercedes-Benz' lettering wouldn't be too low on the car. V.2 should be an improvement. But hey, they team cap is awesome, they are going to sell like hot-cookies.!!

Mercedes livery is my fav. Really nice. Great looking. Aside the ugly front-nose, it seems they have nailed every aspect of the car. Sure, most cars got a damn ugly nose, but at least the Mercedes have a good excuse for it, they are damn fast. I think Red-Bull's might be the odd one, still kinda beautiful.

So, Ferrari might have its best driver line-up ever and the car is a mess. You just have to hear Alonso, it is like he doesn't trust Ferrari's chances anymore.

I loved Ron Dennis words on those already asking for new rules, a.k.a. Ferrari & Red Bull. Shut up and improve your cars.

Also, I love the utterly amazing steering-wheel display some teams have come with.

is not
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 7, 2014, 02:01 PM

Well, not much to add.

The steering-wheel display and more else is made by McLaren Electronics Systems so kudos to them. It is pretty amazing stuff. In comparison to the old display is like upgrading from Wii to WiiU LOL

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2014, 02:16 PM

HAHA, most accurate analogy ever written.

glideslope
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 12, 2014, 03:31 PM

I hate the V6 Turbo Sound. It ruins 50% of the experience. The Fuel Flow Metering needs a lot of work. It's like watching F3 racing.
Could care less about color schemes, and aero eye candy. The cars do nothing but oversteer out of every corner when the dam turbos spool up.

Bah, F1 is about a V8 at 20,000 RPM. Turbos were tried before and failed just as they will this time. Bah I say!!
To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.”
Sun Tzu

ajprice
Professional Poster
Apr 12, 2014, 04:32 PM

An entry from Gene Haas has been accepted by the FIA for a new F1 team in 2015 BBC Sport - Gene Haas US Formula 1 team bid accepted from 2015 by FIA

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2014, 03:22 PM

So, the rumor has it that Alonso is leaving Ferrari for McLaren-HONDA who gets Movistar as title sponsor.

Thing is, Movistar holds the broadcasting rights to F1 here in Spain from next year onwards (pay-per-view) so backing up Alonso's move to McLaren would make sense.

glideslope
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 25, 2014, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
So, the rumor has it that Alonso is leaving Ferrari for McLaren-HONDA who gets Movistar as title sponsor.

Thing is, Movistar holds the broadcasting rights to F1 here in Spain from next year onwards (pay-per-view) so backing up Alonso's move to McLaren would make sense.
No rumor. Very sad.
To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.”
Sun Tzu

is not
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 30, 2014, 12:55 PM

20 years ago Roland Ratzenberger lost his life at Imola. He was living his dream.

is not
Mac Enthusiast
May 1, 2014, 03:14 AM

OK Time to show some respect to the great Ayrton Senna

Ω
Mac Elite
May 1, 2014, 06:12 AM

Big fan of Senna, and is the reason why to do this day I am a fan of McLaren (even though this season they have been pants!) I am actually glad RD is back to hopefully get things back in order. JB while a good driver, is just that, a good driver who lacks the spark to dominate.

As long as finger boy loses this year I will be happy. I used to hate Red Bull, but coming to notice it is only SV that I really dislike. DR is doing a great job, and MW was always "a good Aussie battle from Struggle St."
"angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress"

is not
Mac Enthusiast
May 11, 2014, 02:14 PM

Another race, another Mercedes one-two finish.

is not
Mac Enthusiast
May 11, 2014, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by glideslope View Post
Turbos were tried before and failed just as they will this time. Bah I say!!
Failed? Umm, you need to clarify me thinks.

ajprice
Professional Poster
May 12, 2014, 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by is not View Post
Another race, another Mercedes one-two finish.
Yep. Hamilton has won every race he's finished this year, with 1 DNF because of the engine problem in the first race.

The latest on the rumour mill is that Ferrari are trying to get Adrian Newey in the team.

is not
Mac Enthusiast
May 12, 2014, 03:00 AM

I think that is not even a rumour. It is said that ferrari sent him an offer but remember that Lauda (Mercedes) has asken so many times Red Bull if Newey was available

And other rumour is Fernando moving to Mercedes to which Lauda replied as a nonsense

Last year Tombazis and ferrari said 'no need of Adrian Newey' and called him and his colleagues 'slaves'

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2014, 06:02 AM

So, which one car besides the Silver Arrows is gonna make it to the Monaco podium.?

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2014, 08:01 AM

You know what, being a McLaren fan and expecting another poor season I still enjoy watching HAM obliterating the entire field but his team-mate just for one reason: Probing that all those naysayers who said "what the heck is he thinking moving to Mercedes, his only reason is money" were WRONG.

HAM was smart enough to know the move he needed to make in order to get a chance at the Championship again. ALO, on the other hand, kind of laughed at Red Bull's offer and now see how well the team have fared in accomplishing nothing. Maybe ALO should fire all of his management staff while he is at the top of his game.

Also, where is Roscoe these days.?

is not
Mac Enthusiast
May 12, 2014, 01:04 PM

Roscoe is at home. Is easier for HAM to have him at home than travelling around the world with him

is not
Mac Enthusiast
May 12, 2014, 01:10 PM

But maybe we'll see him at Monaco

is not
Mac Enthusiast
May 12, 2014, 01:14 PM

P
May 15, 2014, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by glideslope View Post
Bah, F1 is about a V8 at 20,000 RPM. Turbos were tried before and failed just as they will this time. Bah I say!!
Turbos didn't fail last time, they were too successful. Turbos won everything and speeds went up, so the regulations were changed to limit the max boost, which made turbos less useful. The V8 is not very old in F1 - everything was V10 not long ago. F1 always changes the specs - too often for my taste, but the upside is that if you don't like them, just wait a few years and they will change again.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 15, 2014, 08:52 AM

We'll be in Monaco in 2 weeks for the GP, can't wait to see that. It'll be my first F1 race in 20 years.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Forum Links
Forum Rules