Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Town Halls

Town Halls
ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Aug 14, 2009, 09:33 PM

"Physician throwing softballs to Jackson not a physician at all"

Turns out a woman who claimed she's been a physician for 4 years is lying through her teeth.

A little girl at another townhall meeting asks; "As I was walking in I saw a lot of signs outside saying mean things about reforming healthcare. How do kids know what is true and why do people want a new system that can help more of us".
- Turns out she's daughter of Kathleen Manning Hall who has donated thousands of dollars to the Obama campaign with a list of friends that reads like a who's who of influential Democratic strategists, and who attended an invite-only eastern inauguration ball.

Is this the astro-turf everyone's talking about?
ebuddy

stumblinmike
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 14, 2009, 09:38 PM

No.

ebuddy  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2009, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by stumblinmike View Post
No.
Well is it the busloads of ACORN volunteers going to the town hall meetings? There must be astro-turf somewhere.
ebuddy

Demonhood
Administrator
Aug 15, 2009, 12:09 PM

the right stacks town halls with rude folks and you're really surprised/shocked/dismayed that the left responds by sending people with softball questions? really?

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 15, 2009, 12:28 PM

More like planted questions. We find it funny that the kings of asrtotufing are complaining. Ask Ann Coulter or any number of conservatives who have been asked to give speeches about rent a mobs showing up and disrupting them.
45/47

ebuddy  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2009, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Demonhood View Post
the right stacks town halls with rude folks and you're really surprised/shocked/dismayed that the left responds by sending people with softball questions? really?
Really? One or two people stand up to express their views and this is "stacking town halls"? Cry me a river. The left "stacking town halls" aren't even truthful about who the hell they are.
ebuddy

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2009, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by Demonhood View Post
Considering the political climate,

dontcha think they might have better things to do....like i dunno....run the country and actually figure this scam out? Seems to me that if they were all that serious, they might actually put some effort into this bill and make it something worthwhile. More and more these people are beginning to sound like cheap car salesman, except they decide what I buy.

If they're at the town hall....who's steering the ship?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 16, 2009, 12:56 AM

Snow: congress is influenced by that their constituents want, and given that there is an abundance of FUD and misinformation circulating out there (and I'm not suggesting that any one person or group is responsible for this), I think it makes sense to conduct town hall meetings to try to steer the national debate into the realm of sane discussion. I'm also not suggesting that opposing any of the five proposed bills is insane, but go out there and get a sample of what people think is being proposed and what these ramifications might be, it's all over the map.

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2009, 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Snow: congress is influenced by that their constituents want, and given that there is an abundance of FUD and misinformation circulating out there (and I'm not suggesting that any one person or group is responsible for this), I think it makes sense to conduct town hall meetings to try to steer the national debate into the realm of sane discussion. I'm also not suggesting that opposing any of the five proposed bills is insane, but go out there and get a sample of what people think is being proposed and what these ramifications might be, it's all over the map.
So instead of fostering intelligent debate they simply condemn the most vocal and extreme of their opposition?

Ignore those with valid points and call the opposing viewpoints liars?

They're spending more time trying to do damage control then actually working on putting out something concrete that I can even give intelligent feedback on. I've simply come to the conclusion that they don't have any answers to the points raised, and want to shift the focus away from that.

It reeks of dishonesty.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 16, 2009, 03:25 AM

I'm not sure exactly what incident you are referring to Snow, but I was making a general statement. Planted political agents and moronic demonstrators on either side saying idiotic things is nothing new to politics.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 16, 2009, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by Snow-i View Post
Considering the political climate,

dontcha think they might have better things to do....like i dunno....run the country and actually figure this scam out? Seems to me that if they were all that serious, they might actually put some effort into this bill and make it something worthwhile. More and more these people are beginning to sound like cheap car salesman, except they decide what I buy.

If they're at the town hall....who's steering the ship?
Yes, I'm sure those are the very same people. The town halls are being positively flooded with covert Congressmen disguised as confused citizens.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 16, 2009, 06:14 AM

I was just about to post a thread on the healthcare town halls!

Regarding Obama's town halls:
1. He completely fails to address the tough questions while making it appear he's covering all the angles. For example, in today's town hall he responded to concerns over the public option by listing and responding to three different objections that he claimed were the chief objections to the plan. In one of the responses, he explained that the public option would not crowd out private insurers because the legislation would make sure that there was an equal playing field, with premiums collected to fund the plan rather than having it funded by deficit spending. Of course, he failed to give any specifics on how the program would be held to a set budget and not allowed to run large deficits. The USPS, which the president likes to compare to the public option, runs multi-billion dollar deficits per year, but it's never going to be shut down. What possible cause does a rational person have to believe that spending on this new entitlement can ever be restrained?

He also doesn't ever address one of the most prominent concerns about the public option - namely that the 8% payroll surcharge levied on employers who don't provide insurance to their employees will create a perverse incentive for employers to dump their employees en masse on to government insurance because the cost penalty will be much less than the price of benefits most employees currently get. That's the backdoor toward single payer that they don't even want to acknowledge.

2. The president has now on multiple occasions openly mocked ignorant seniors with his parodied remark that he says he hears so often, "I don't want government health care, but don't touch my Medicare." He thinks it's funny in pointing it out, but it seems quite rude to me.

3. John Stewart was one of the only personalities to lampoon Obama for saying the public option will work without killing private enterprise because the USPS competes poorly with UPS and FedEx. I give him credit for poking fun at the president for that boneheaded statement. But Obama has made similar statements illustrating that he accepts how poorly government currently runs the health care programs under its charge. He very correctly points out that Medicare and Medicaid, and Social Security (the Entitlements I hate with a passion) are by far the biggest contributors to the structural federal deficit and national debt. Yet, he wants us to trust that he and the $787B pork parade Democrat Congress are going to be able to craft a grand new entitlement program (what will amount to Medicare for all) that somehow won't run perpetual deficits, won't vastly exceed the cost projections currently being made, and won't end up doing many of the negative things that people fear it will do to health care in this country.

4. Obama never gets a tough, on-point question from the opposition. The questioners who oppose him throw him softballs. I have to imagine the questions are submitted ahead of time, and anyone who truly knows what he or she is talking about is filtered out.

Regarding Congressional town halls:
I was at my local Democratic Congressman's town hall on Tuesday. He too refused to take tough questions from anyone who had a real point to make. He largely echoed Obama, he made all kinds of unverifiable claims, and he even said how proud he was of his predecessors for their passage of the abominable pyramid schemes of Social Security and Medicare. This particular Rep is a dope, a liar and a coward, and when it was clear to me he would never take my question I started shouting that he was indeed a coward and liar. I hope my message got to him clearly.
( Last edited by Big Mac; Aug 16, 2009 at 05:39 PM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

stumblinmike
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 16, 2009, 06:24 AM

That was you? I saw someone yelling names at the Honorable Representative, and just dismissed it as a whacko off his meds. That was you?! Classic Mac!

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 16, 2009, 06:36 AM

Glad you heard me!

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2009, 04:39 PM

I'm not sure exactly what incident you are referring to Snow, but I was making a general statement. Planted political agents and moronic demonstrators on either side saying idiotic things is nothing new to politics.
Very true.

Looks like nothing has changed at all.

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2009, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Yes, I'm sure those are the very same people. The town halls are being positively flooded with covert Congressmen disguised as confused citizens.
I didn't know Obama was disguised as a citizen at his town halls.

You got the confused part right!

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 16, 2009, 05:24 PM

Obama's not the only guy in charge here. In fact, Obama is relatively unimportant when it comes to making laws.
Chuck
___

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2009, 05:59 PM

Obama's not the only guy in charge here. In fact, Obama is relatively unimportant when it comes to making laws.
this is obama's bill, he's the single most important person behind it...not to mention the potus

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 16, 2009, 06:06 PM

Btw, the CBO projects that with a public option 9 million Americans would lose their private employer plans by 2014. If the Dems ram the public option through it will be humorous to see how far off that projection is.
( Last edited by Big Mac; Aug 16, 2009 at 06:13 PM. )

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 16, 2009, 06:36 PM

Big Mac: isn't one of the goals of this to make private health care less about employers? I dearly hope so...

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 16, 2009, 06:43 PM

You're missing the point. Employers are going to tell their employees they're going to be paying the new health care payroll tax to the government instead, and then employees will assume that since part of their benefit is now going to the government they should just hop on to the public plan. That plus the fact that the public plan will never be curtailed or shut down no matter how severe its deficits are and you have the destruction of private health coverage and the backdoor imposition of a single payer system, just like Obama said (a few years back) he envisioned doing over a number of years.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 16, 2009, 06:50 PM

So the government sucks at running health care, yet they will pose a threat to private health insurance? I think you have it backwards. In countries like Canada it is the public health care which is threatened by private insurance options.

You'll forgive me if I take your other doomsday stuff with a grain of salt knowing your bias.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 16, 2009, 07:03 PM

So the government sucks at running health care, yet they will pose a threat to private health insurance?
Yes, in the same way Internet Explorer dominated the browser landscape for so long despite the fact that it's terrible. When you have the advantage of being able to give your product away at no visible cost and the power to shove it right into everybody's faces, it doesn't really matter what the other guy has.
( Last edited by Chuckit; Aug 16, 2009 at 07:12 PM. )
Chuck
___

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 16, 2009, 07:03 PM

Besson, you're only talking and not listening. It doesn't matter that government programs like Social Security and Medicare suck because they take up huge amounts of funding and are killing the country and the wealth of our and future generations. So to it won't matter if the public option sucks because it will be another huge entitlement drain sucking us down the crapper.

Btw, Chuck, I did mention the employer opt-out in excange for the 8%+ payroll tax issue as one of the major problems with the public plan that will provide a perverse incentive to employers to drop their current health benefits.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 16, 2009, 07:13 PM

Oh, yes, you did. Short-term memory loss? I don't know.
Chuck
___

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 16, 2009, 07:17 PM

Chuckit: what makes you think that there wouldn't be room for both? Each will ultimately be more practical for certain medical procedures, but there will also be plenty of gaps for both to fill. There will be people that are happy to pay more for certain things, and there will be several areas that the public option likely flat out won't cover at all. When have free market Republicans thought that options are a bad thing? It's not like their tax dollars don't already go to public health, they do. Whether the service is public or private, isn't the ultimate goal to drive down costs for all and not raise taxes?

Most of these concerns seem to be of the what if, could happen boogieman variety. I'm a little less nervous about all of this I guess because I grew up in Canada? A lot of stuff *could* happen. This could end up costing us more, but I don't think we should freak out about it until this proves to be true. Besides, sticking with what we have is already driving us into the toilet, where was all of this dire doomsday stuff years ago?

Big Mac: no dude, you're the one not listening, but I don't really wish to pursue this discussion with you because we both know it will be a waste of time. You are heavily invested in your opinions, and while I'd argue that I'm a little more open minded than you, I'm not interested in having your opinions rammed down my throat either. A genuine discussion I'm always open for, but sans dogma and self righteousness.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 16, 2009, 07:18 PM

45/47

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 16, 2009, 11:46 PM

Enough. Besson and Big Mac, settle this via PM or email or some other method that gets this little squabble out of the public forum. Any more will result in in infractions and a lot of deleting.
Nemo me impune lacesset

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 17, 2009, 08:41 PM

Yes, in the same way Internet Explorer dominated the browser landscape for so long despite the fact that it's terrible. When you have the advantage of being able to give your product away at no visible cost and the power to shove it right into everybody's faces, it doesn't really matter what the other guy has.
not sure if that comparison is apt

since the insurance companies have the upper hand right now, they are the internet explorer of health care system.

oh and let's bring guns to a town hall...

edit: also, the public option is like open source.
( Last edited by ironknee; Aug 17, 2009 at 11:30 PM. )

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 17, 2009, 09:06 PM

Yeah, WTF is up with bringing guns to a town hall? Can anybody here defend the rationale behind this?

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 17, 2009, 09:17 PM

Yeah, WTF is up with bringing guns to a town hall? Can anybody here defend the rationale behind this?
Black folks are scary.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

ebuddy  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 17, 2009, 10:42 PM

Some people have concealed carry. It's on 'em. All the time. Did someone draw a weapon at a townhall meeting? I'm hearing the guy was legally carrying a handgun strapped to his leg. If the guy was illegally carrying a weapon, by all means I hope they throw the book at him. Enforcing the blasted laws would go a long way to reducing gun crime. I do not appreciate this in tandem with the Jefferson quote about refreshing the tree of liberty however, and he should've been held for questioning.

I mentioned this when Obama was first elected and I'll reiterate it now, God help us all if something happens to our President. Say what you will of his policies, he's very accessible to the public. I hope this Administration is doing everything within its ability to keep the psychotically stupid as far away as possible.
ebuddy

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 17, 2009, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
I mentioned this when Obama was first elected and I'll reiterate it now, God help us all if something happens to our President. Say what you will of his policies, he's very accessible to the public. I hope this Administration is doing everything within its ability to keep the psychotically stupid as far away as possible.
in other words, no blood on my hands if someone in my party does something...bad

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 18, 2009, 12:17 AM

Whether it is legal or not to carry a concealed weapon to something like that is besides the point, it was an incredibly dumb thing to do. For starters, anybody could have grabbed the gun and used it on anybody in attendance. There are a lot of crazy people everywhere. If you really feel like you will be at risk yourself and this worries you, maybe it would be best to not go rather than putting others at risk?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 18, 2009, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by stumblinmike View Post
That was you? I saw someone yelling names at the Honorable Representative, and just dismissed it as a whacko off his meds. That was you?! Classic Mac!
There's nothing "Honorable" about any of those ****ing idiots, get a clue.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 18, 2009, 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by ironknee View Post
in other words, no blood on my hands if someone in my party does something...bad
Well, would you feel responsible if some Republican did something bad?
Chuck
___

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 18, 2009, 02:08 AM

Well, would you feel responsible if some Republican did something bad?
no because i don't believe in the fear and hate republicans have.

like going to all the hitler rallies and then finding out the killing of 8 million jews... klink, "i know nothing!"

OreoCookie
Aug 18, 2009, 02:22 AM

Some people have concealed carry. It's on 'em. All the time. Did someone draw a weapon at a townhall meeting? I'm hearing the guy was legally carrying a handgun strapped to his leg. If the guy was illegally carrying a weapon, by all means I hope they throw the book at him.
There are many government regulations limiting more inane things: I wasn't allowed to take my cell phone or mp3 player into the American embassy (Frankfurt) or immigration (SF). I was told this holds for all buildings of the federal government (something to do with terrorists I'm sure). If it's a government building, they have the right to limit certain things -- and banning guns makes much more sense than not allowing mp3 players.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Aug 18, 2009, 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
There are many government regulations limiting more inane things: I wasn't allowed to take my cell phone or mp3 player into the American embassy (Frankfurt) or immigration (SF). I was told this holds for all buildings of the federal government (something to do with terrorists I'm sure). If it's a government building, they have the right to limit certain things -- and banning guns makes much more sense than not allowing mp3 players.
The people who were carrying the weapons openly were well within the laws of their state. Agree with them or not, they did nothing wrong and were simply exercising their right to bear arms lawfully.

They were NOT allowed to carry weapons inside, as when the secret service enters a venue it becomes a federal site where weapons are banned. Scary as it might be to have one show you a gun, isn't it a helluva lot scarier knowing someone there probably has one you don't see?

I don't see those people as doing anything more than making a political statement. I don't quite agree with them on how to go about doing it but I respect that those who did, made sure they were within the law when doing it.

OreoCookie
Aug 18, 2009, 05:00 AM

The people who were carrying the weapons openly were well within the laws of their state. Agree with them or not, they did nothing wrong and were simply exercising their right to bear arms lawfully.
You misunderstood my post and there is no reason to go on a rant about people in favor of gun regulations or whatnot. All I was saying is that there are laws and regulations that may limit these things on (certain) government property. As far as I understand besson's initial comment `let's bring a gun to town hall' sparked all of this. I'm not saying anything about carrying guns outside of town halls. I'm specifically talking about bringing guns (concealed or open) to such events.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 18, 2009, 05:26 AM

So is this incident officially considered 'fishy'? Quick, someone report it to the whitehouse!

This just in: I overheard someone today exercising their 1st amendment rights. Is that considered 'fishy' along with the 2nd? Anyone could have overheard that dangerous talk. There's a lot of crazy people. Better not to talk than put people at risk of hearing something fishy.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Aug 18, 2009, 09:22 AM

The guy with the assault rifle actually said more people should show up in public with guns. Count me out.

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Aug 18, 2009, 11:11 AM

You misunderstood my post and there is no reason to go on a rant about people in favor of gun regulations or whatnot. All I was saying is that there are laws and regulations that may limit these things on (certain) government property. As far as I understand besson's initial comment `let's bring a gun to town hall' sparked all of this. I'm not saying anything about carrying guns outside of town halls. I'm specifically talking about bringing guns (concealed or open) to such events.
That was hardly a rant, but an elaboration on reported facts straight from CNN.

I wasn't arguing against you.

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 18, 2009, 08:46 PM

with signs like, "i want my america back."... ie i want white presidents back

plus guns= not a good thing

ebuddy  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 18, 2009, 09:13 PM

Whether I agreed with you on this point or not, it's not relevant to the discussion. I suggested that if a man were carrying a gun along with a sign implying violence, he should've been held for thorough investigation. I mentioned that if he did break any gun laws, the book should be thrown at him.
ebuddy

ebuddy  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 18, 2009, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by ironknee View Post
I can appreciate how everything must be compartmentalized into an (R) or a (D) for the simpleton mentality, but my statement did not imply a party. I have a country. I did not say "God help the Republican Party if something were to happen to our President", I said "God help our country..."

The psychotically stupid have nothing to do with political philosophy or dissent, rather an unhealthy mix of ignorance, hatred, zeal and paranoia. From the Holocaust museum incident, we know that these behavioral disorders often debut as flame-baiting trolls on internet forums ironknee.

It's never too late brother. You have to want to be happy man.
ebuddy

OreoCookie
Aug 19, 2009, 05:39 AM

Whether I agreed with you on this point or not, it's not relevant to the discussion. I suggested that if a man were carrying a gun along with a sign implying violence, he should've been held for thorough investigation. I mentioned that if he did break any gun laws, the book should be thrown at him.
You wrote about permits and stuff: whether they have concealed carry permits or not may not be relevant: if they are in a public building where weapons are prohibited, then they have to respect that. Bringing weapons to a Giants game is probably also prohibited -- and nobody is crying foul, they're trampling on my Second Amendment rights.

ebuddy  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 19, 2009, 06:49 AM

You wrote about permits and stuff: whether they have concealed carry permits or not may not be relevant: if they are in a public building where weapons are prohibited, then they have to respect that. Bringing weapons to a Giants game is probably also prohibited -- and nobody is crying foul, they're trampling on my Second Amendment rights.
If he brought his weapon into a public building where weapons are prohibited... what did I say? Throw the book at him. Is this the case? As far as crying "foul" over Second Amendment rights, you've not seen me do this. What exactly are you arguing and who with? It kinda seems like you're force-fitting a rant here.

If you want to argue something this badly I suppose I could oblige, but...
ebuddy

OreoCookie
Aug 19, 2009, 08:02 AM

I had the impression you were arguing along those lines. Since you're saying that this was a misunderstanding on my part, then I agree, let's not create an issue where there is none.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Aug 19, 2009, 10:26 AM

Looks like Barney Frank wants to be a game show host. He sure sounded that way at his town hall meetings.

Forum Links
Forum Rules