Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 9.1 / IE5 / character set problem

9.1 / IE5 / character set problem
amwt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 15, 2001, 01:03 AM

I have a fresh installed 9.0 updated with 9.1, no language kits. I had language kits in another 8.6 sys folder. If I go into IE5 > View > Character Set >, you are suppoed to see a list of 25 different text encoding choices, starting with Western Latin1, Western ISO, Western Mac, Chinese Traditional, Chinese Simplified, etc, etc...

However, I get this:
Western (Latin1)
aw�A�6�
0$H^
Greek (ISO 8859-7)
'6A'6A�STR#||'q??qcAq'�.....

(somthing like this. i can't produce most of the gremlins)

Followed by about 20 lines of blanks.

Contents of web pages looks fine. The strage thing is that I have had the exact same problem when I was using 8.6 + IE5 + language kits. But then other than the odd looking manual, even Chinese pages looks fine AS LONG AS the html header sets the char-code correctly. I counldn't choose the encoding manually from the odd menu even if I guess the position of the labels. This time I blew away all IE prefs, pref panels, and extns. It's a fresh OS and freshly downloaded copy of IE5. The only thing I kept from before is my favourite.html file which just can't mess things up, right?

may be some plugins?

Forum Links
Forum Rules