Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > defrag???

defrag???
treebark7182
Forum Regular
Sep 25, 2002, 08:12 PM

How on earth do i defrag my hardrive. I have ~30% fragmented drive right now and i really need to get it fixed. is there something built into jag that i can use?? Or in os9??

Reddog99
Sep 25, 2002, 09:55 PM

There's nothing built in. You'll have to use Nortons. Or you could back-up, wipe the drive, & then restore.

Pat

OverclockedHomoSapien
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 26, 2002, 12:19 AM

OS X doesn't need it. At least, that's according to some Unix geeks I've spoken with. They claim that Unix systems neither need nor benefit from defragging and optimizing utilities. I tend to agree, although I'm not enough of a Unix geek to say this with any authority.

Regarding the two utilities that claim to defrag OS X disks, both of them (Norton and Drive10) are widely reported to hose system disks when used as directed.

I've used Norton Utilities 7 on my OS X partition, and after optimizing the drive it wouldn't boot. I had to wipe and reinstall 10.1.
[FONT="book antiqua"]"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."
- Thomas Jefferson, 1816.[/FONT]

Ibson
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 26, 2002, 02:24 AM

That's for the Unix File System. Mac OS X uses HFS+ by default (and that's the best option to use). That does get fragmented, but, it seems that at the moment there isn't a safe defragmentation utility.

raw65
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 26, 2002, 03:24 AM

Originally posted by Ibson:
That's for the Unix File System. Mac OS X uses HFS+ by default (and that's the best option to use). That does get fragmented, but, it seems that at the moment there isn't a safe defragmentation utility.
So far I've been using Norton Speeddisk with success, so I'm quite curious as to what problems you guys are running into. To be honest, I can't recall using it on Jaguar yet....but I'll let you know if my positive experience has changed.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Sep 26, 2002, 09:51 AM

Generally, the safest way to defrag HFS+ volumes is to use Alsoft's PlusOptimizer, which comes with their excellent DiskWarrior disk-repair program.

This does require booting into OS9, however the CD they provide has this system already on it, so you can boot straight from the disc. This is wise to do anyway, because it will let you repair all of your hard drives if you have more than one.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

funkboy
Professional Poster
Sep 26, 2002, 10:14 AM

Shouldn't Apple really be providing a tool to do this with? Would it be that difficult to write one? Heck, they could bundle it as part of .Mac and get more tech-heads to sign up for it.

clebin
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 27, 2002, 07:31 AM

I think they should. It's always been free in Windows.

Given the criticisms of OS X's performance, it should be in Apple's interest to make the most of current hardware. An unfragmented drive certainly helps.

A little less prebinding and a little more defragging please.

Chris

anoetic
Sep 27, 2002, 10:11 AM

According to most, Unix systems don't need a defrag if you have some disk space left. And if you do defrag you need to replace your system files -- as in a clean install. I have link to the question at extreme tech.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,3973,49641,00.asp

Forum Links
Forum Rules