Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Official "Does 10.2.2 fix <insert problem here>" thread

Official "Does 10.2.2 fix <insert problem here>" thread
Maneki Neko
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 11, 2002, 06:28 PM

Hello,

This is inevitable, so I decided to start it. Here's mine:

Does 10.2.2 fix the "disappearing files" problem with the finder on mounted AFP shares? (when you click on the file, it disappers, but is still accessible from the terminal)?

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 11, 2002, 06:32 PM

Just went through the readme, and there appears to be no Finder improvements. Boo.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

xanderwilson
Nov 11, 2002, 06:37 PM

Do the photos you put in address book appear in the emails from those people?

And does it remember external monitor settings? Whenever I replug in my 19" monitor into my iBook with 10.2.1 it goes to 800x600 until I hit "Detect Displays." Sometimes it screws up how some apps look even after changing back the settings.

How about iCal stability? Improved? No different?

Minor stuff. Glad I'm not waiting for anything major to be fixed.

Alex.
www.telltaleweekly.org - Funding a Free Audiobook Library. Now available in AAC.
www.alexwilson.com - Alex Wilson Studios

bartman00
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 11, 2002, 07:01 PM

Will it enable my Iomega 12x10x32 burner to burn in the finder again?? It worked great in 10.1.x but not 10.2...... answer NO. WTF
Powermac Sawtooth w/ 1.3ghz overclocked GigaDesigns 1ghz cpu
iBook G3-900

Zadian
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 11, 2002, 07:04 PM

I finder ftp now read and write? Can i upload files to my password protected ftp server?

gregpins
Forum Regular
Nov 11, 2002, 07:04 PM

Claims to address problems related to PowerPoint animations. I see no difference.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Nov 11, 2002, 07:08 PM

Can I finally change the damn "Utilities" folder icon in 10.2.2?

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 11, 2002, 07:20 PM

Originally posted by gorickey:

Nope.
First thing I tried.

Nai no Kami
Senior User
Nov 11, 2002, 07:36 PM

Well... I haven�t d/led yet, so here I go:
Does 10.2.2 fix:

* the sounds that doesn't found (i.e., empty trash, etc...)?

* Multisession burning using Toast and an USB iomega Predator CD-RW?

* People appearing both in Mail and the Address Book?

* Muting Soundsticks when headphones are inserted on a clamshell iBook?

* A kernel panic that occurs when I unplug the power and the USB jack at the same time?

Hella lot of questions...

Y no entienden nada... ¡y cómo se divierten!...

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 11, 2002, 07:52 PM

Doesn't seem to fix the problem with hdid and virtual hosting web sites.

Damn.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Nov 11, 2002, 08:05 PM

Using the iChat menu now correctly opens a Instant Message conversation when the buddy you select is clicked instead of a "chat"....about time Apple, thanks!

Corys
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 11, 2002, 08:05 PM

Originally posted by Zadian:
I finder ftp now read and write? Can i upload files to my password protected ftp server?
I still can't seem to FTP into my webhosting account (ipowerweb.com)
bummer, I really would like to be able to use that feature.

ZackS
Banned
Nov 11, 2002, 08:13 PM

iChat boot bug is still at large

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 11, 2002, 08:14 PM

Argh! "Open New Windows in Column View" still doesn't work!

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 11, 2002, 08:24 PM

Originally posted by CharlesS:
Argh! "Open New Windows in Column View" still doesn't work!
Seems to work fine here. Can you tell me how to break it?

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Nov 11, 2002, 08:29 PM

Originally posted by AKcrab:

Works fine here as well.

MacAttack
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 11, 2002, 08:31 PM

To quote the Knowledge Base article on 10.2.2:

# Improves updating of applications installed with Mac OS X, updating them only if they have not been relocated or deleted. #

So if I move an application then, it won't update it? They call that an improvement?

(sigh) When is Apple gonna get it? Just because I like to sort and organize my Applications folder doesn't mean I don't want an application to be updated.

Which applications did 10.2.2 officially update? What version number are they at now with, for example, iChat?

rob7erto
Forum Regular
Nov 11, 2002, 08:32 PM

Works fine here as well.

Weird. Even though I have open new windows in column view chosen, spring loaded folders often brings up icon view. Haven't tried 10.2.2 yet.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 11, 2002, 08:34 PM

Sure. You can break it like so:

1. Be using my machine.
2. Try to turn on "Open new windows in Column View".
3. Open a new window. Opens in whatever view it opened in before.

Okay, so apparently it works for some people. I wonder why not on mine. Hmm... I've trashed com.apple.finder.plist to no avail. Perhaps the setting is in .GlobalPreferences.plist or something. I'll have to give that a try when I have time. Unfortunately, I've got to get going right now.

But thanks for letting me know it's working on yours.

Charles

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 11, 2002, 08:36 PM

Originally posted by rob7erto:

Weird. Even though I have open new windows in column view chosen, spring loaded folders often brings up icon view. Haven't tried 10.2.2 yet.
A spring loaded folder opening is not "a new finder window". The "spring loaded open" opens the folder into whatever view that folder has been assigned. Make sense?

rob7erto
Forum Regular
Nov 11, 2002, 08:39 PM

A spring loaded folder opening is not "a new finder window". The "spring loaded open" opens the folder into whatever view that folder has been assigned. Make sense?
I guess that is why the problem is sporadic. What is the easiest way to set EVERY SINGLE FOLDER to column view. Please tell me I don't have to open each one individually from icon view and set it to column.

Moonray
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2002, 08:39 PM

Originally posted by MacAttack:
(sigh) When is Apple gonna get it? Just because I like to sort and organize my Applications folder doesn't mean I don't want an application to be updated.
And when do you get that Apple will not scan all your volumes for each update to make it a quick process and that they like you to create aliases in another folder if you want to sort them another way?

-

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Nov 11, 2002, 08:43 PM

When you make a new folder in list view it doesn't keep the name highlighted so that you can change the name of it from "untitled folder" to something else. Annoying as hell.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Nov 11, 2002, 08:43 PM

# Improves updating of applications installed with Mac OS X, updating them only if they have not been relocated or deleted. #

So if I move an application then, it won't update it? They call that an improvement?

Which applications did 10.2.2 officially update? What version number are they at now with, for example, iChat?
Taken from another thread (not verified for correctness either):

" Mail-- (version 1.2.2 (v549/548)) I haven't noticed anything different, but I don't use it profusely enough to judge the system performance.

iChat-- (version 1.0.1 v51.4) I haven't noticed ANYTHING different, and that little "bug" in the custom away messages is still there (where the + button says Add A Buddy).

Address Book-- (version 3.0.2 (v216)) Opens alittle faster, runs alittle smoother I guess.

Sherlock-- (version 3.5.1 (v3.5.1/1.0.1) Starts faster and channels load quicker."

dark3lf
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2002, 08:44 PM

Apple has FINALLY fixed the bug that only allows you to chose IE as your default browser. SWEET! I use Chimera exclusively now.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 11, 2002, 08:46 PM

I just had a look inside the 10.2.2 package, and it does appear that it is configured to use the Installer's new Find File feature. It should update the apps in the correct locations if you've moved them, as far as I can tell.

Damn, I was kind of hoping I could beat Apple to this with Pacifist. Oh well, overall it's a win for the users.

manfreds
Nov 11, 2002, 08:48 PM

Originally posted by CharlesS:
Doesn't seem to fix the problem with hdid and virtual hosting web sites.

Damn.
Yes, damn.

But thanks for telling me why this failed all the time for me.

Do you know any workaround?
Turn your web browser into a great PDF viewer � with PDF Browser Plugin

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2002, 09:19 PM

Did it break Beachball for anyone else? I have the Apple Lollypop wait cursor back. I don't know if I should try Beachball again or if he'll put out an update...

Update: I couldn't put up with the frickin thing any longer so I just tried it and it works fine.
( Last edited by Ozmodiar; Nov 11, 2002 at 09:31 PM. )

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 11, 2002, 10:32 PM

Originally posted by dark3lf:
Apple has FINALLY fixed the bug that only allows you to chose IE as your default browser. SWEET! I use Chimera exclusively now.
A workaround has been in the Chimera release notes for quite some time.

But it's good that Apple fixed the problem.

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2002, 10:53 PM

Originally posted by wataru:
A workaround has been in the Chimera release notes for quite some time.

But it's good that Apple fixed the problem.
i've never had a problem with chimera being my default browser..
or any other browser for that matter.

dhi
Nov 11, 2002, 11:18 PM

Originally posted by Ozmodiar:
Did it break Beachball for anyone else? I have the Apple Lollypop wait cursor back. I don't know if I should try Beachball again or if he'll put out an update...

Update: I couldn't put up with the frickin thing any longer so I just tried it and it works fine.
Cool,

I was hoping that the update would work okay with the beach ball (Pulsating blue blob) patch

I was wondering though - do you know the path to the file you need to patch? I put the original Aqua theme.plist thingy and the patch for it in the original location - and now (duh!) can't remember where it is.

Thanks.

Justin W. Williams
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2002, 12:36 AM

iSub muting is still busted.
Justin Williams
Chicks Really Dig Me
AIM - iTikki [NEW AND IMPROVED!]
http://www.tikkirulz.com

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 12, 2002, 12:56 AM

DVD-R recorded on a Panasonic DMR-E30 set top DVD recorder still don't work in OS X.2.2. They work fine in OS 9.2, and supposedly work fine also in X.1.5. They also work fine in Windows.

Also, the Finder's ICON VIEW MODE does not work properly yet. With it set to KEEP ARRANGED BY KIND, there are still sometimes big empty spaces where there shouldn't be:

I'll see a row of icons, then a blank row, then more icons, then a row with just 1 icon, etc.

Leia Shoots Like a Girl
Banned
Nov 12, 2002, 01:00 AM

Originally posted by Eug:
DVD-R recorded on a Panasonic DMR-E30 set top DVD recorder still don't work in OS X.2.2. They work fine in OS 9.2, and supposedly work fine also in X.1.5. They also work fine in Windows.

Also, the Finder's ICON VIEW MODE does not work properly yet. With it set to KEEP ARRANGED BY KIND, there are still sometimes big empty spaces where there shouldn't be:

I'll see a row of icons, then a blank row, then more icons, then a row with just 1 icon, etc.
Set it to arrange by name, works 100%.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 12, 2002, 01:06 AM

Originally posted by manfreds:

Yes, damn.

But thanks for telling me why this failed all the time for me.

Do you know any workaround?
As a matter of fact, I do, but you have to know the actual path to your web site.

If you have virtual web hosting, chances are you're sharing an IP address with several other people's web sites. So, let's say you and I are on the same hosting service, and lets's suppose that my domain is www.mydomain.com and your domain is www.yourdomain.com, and both of these sites are located on a machine with IP address 123.456.789.0.

[disclaimer to those for whom this is not completely obvious: I made up these addresses out of thin air. Any resemblance to any actually existing IP addresses or domains is purely coincidental.]

Anyway, let's say that both of us each have a disk image file named somefile.dmg. Well, we obviously can't both have the same file in the same place. To protect against things like this happening, the web server puts our web sites in different directories on the server. Your web site is actually at this address:

http://123.456.789.0/some_directory/

where mine is at:

http://123.456.789.0/some_other_directory/

Anyway, let's say you access http://www.yourdomain.com/somefile.dmg in your web browser of choice. What happens is that the web server sees your request for http://www.yourdomain.com, and so it gives your web browser the file that's in the directory for your site, i.e.

http://123.456.789.0/some_directory/somefile.dmg

So what's the problem? The problem is that when you ask hdid to access the file at http://www.yourdomain.com/somefile.dmg, it doesn't access it using the domain name. Instead, it first looks up the IP address for the domain, and asks for the file by its IP address. Thus, it asks for this:

http://123.456.789.0/somefile.dmg

which obviously doesn't exist. And since the web server has no idea what web site we're asking for the file from, it can't do anything but return a "not found" error.

The workaround is to ask for http://www.yourdomain.com/some_directory/somefile.dmg which is WRONG WRONG WRONG and won't work in any web browser, but will work with hdid.

I've sent this bug report to Apple several times, but apparently it's not enough. Maybe what needs to be done is for the entire MacNN community to band together and simultaneously send this feedback in as a massive denial-of-service bug report attack in order to get them to fix it.
( Last edited by CharlesS; Nov 12, 2002 at 01:13 AM. )

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 12, 2002, 01:18 AM

Originally posted by Leia Shoots Like a Girl:

Set it to arrange by name, works 100%.
No it doesn't Leia:

Aussie John
Forum Regular
Nov 12, 2002, 01:47 AM

Auto sleep after selected number of minutes still doesnt work
quicksilver G4
2 hard drives
all sharing & apple talk off

it does sleep i do it manually
and worked in 10.1
John

Leia Shoots Like a Girl
Banned
Nov 12, 2002, 02:00 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Eug:
[B]No it doesn't Leia:

Something must be messed up with your system cuz all the OSX computers I have used never did this. Does anyone else have this problem?

kzmk
Forum Regular
Nov 12, 2002, 02:02 AM

No it doesn't Leia:

look, the reason for this is the one icon with the two lines for name and one line for item info. that's too much space taken under the icon, to place another one there.

if you look, you can see that the top of sherlock's icon wouldn't overlap the item info (or vice versa, who cares ), but it would come pretty close, and apple obviously wnats "white space" around everything.

not a bug - a feature.

so... try fiddling around with either textsize or icon size as well as left/right placement of name/info.

hth.
All kinds of Utopian plans were flashing through his (B's) busy brain...

Leia Shoots Like a Girl
Banned
Nov 12, 2002, 02:34 AM

So there.

RGB
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2002, 03:02 AM

Originally posted by agasthya:
When you make a new folder in list view it doesn't keep the name highlighted so that you can change the name of it from "untitled folder" to something else. Annoying as hell.
God I HATE that.

Maneki Neko  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 12, 2002, 04:46 AM

In answer to my question, no, they still haven't fixed the disappearing files on AFP shares bug.

JESUS CHRIST, they are sure taking their sweet time.

Time to file another bug report. WAHOO.

clarkgoble
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2002, 05:28 AM

Anyone know if they fixed the bug in which the Unix shutdown scripts weren't being called when you shutdown using the shutdown menu? I rarely shutdown, but as I recall several Unix folks were rather upset at this behavior. (I never played around with it to see if it was a real problem)

Moonray
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2002, 06:32 AM

Originally posted by kzmk:

look, the reason for this is the one icon with the two lines for name and one line for item info. that's too much space taken under the icon, to place another one there.

if you look, you can see that the top of sherlock's icon wouldn't overlap the item info (or vice versa, who cares ), but it would come pretty close, and apple obviously wnats "white space" around everything.

not a bug - a feature.

so... try fiddling around with either textsize or icon size as well as left/right placement of name/info.

hth.
I think it does not help... did you notice that the icons did not get placed to the right hand side of that folder? And isn't it the computer's job to do this fiddling???

-

JKT
Professional Poster
Nov 12, 2002, 07:21 AM

Originally posted by Moonray:

I think it does not help... did you notice that the icons did not get placed to the right hand side of that folder? And isn't it the computer's job to do this fiddling???

-
FWIW, you can use TinkerTool to limit the number of lines taken by file names in icon view.

I'm still getting error -36's with iDisk which prevents me from copying anything to it (grrr).

A few of other annoyances:

Mail still displays the date in US format even though my system setting is UK.

Address Book still converts UK shorthand date formats (e.g. 12/11/02) into US longhand format (e.g. 11th December 2002 instead of 12th November 2002) when you leave the editing mode.

Calculator still won't remember my preferred view of Advanced with Paper Tape between closing and opening again. It always reverts to Basic with no tape.

Finder windows - columns still don't preserve their breadth between logins

The installer switched my keyboard layout to US from UK even though the US keyboard was specifically deactivated by me in 10.2.1

In the Cocoa ruler, line spacing continues to be displayed as 0 point (when it should be the default font size).

I'm sure I'll find many others...

On the positive side, Address Book, Mail and the overall feel is much snappier.

markporter
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 12, 2002, 07:25 AM

when am I going to be able to use all the features of my printer that I can under OS9 (borderfree printing being the main one)

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 12, 2002, 08:08 AM

Something must be messed up with your system cuz all the OSX computers I have used never did this. Does anyone else have this problem?
It was reported when OS X.2 first came out. I was not the first person to notice.

This did not occur in OS X.1.5 as far as I remember. And, as the other poster said, there should still have been icons placed to the right.

This is a bug, not a feature.

OverclockedHomoSapien
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 12, 2002, 08:38 AM

Utilities? In OS X? I just fsck it and trash the utilities folder upon installation or upgrade. OS X don't need 'em...
[FONT="book antiqua"]"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."
- Thomas Jefferson, 1816.[/FONT]

OverclockedHomoSapien
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 12, 2002, 08:45 AM

Originally posted by agasthya:
It did this to me in 10.1.x, but in 10.2 every time I create a new folder the name is highlighted and ready to edit.

Odd how so many quirks and bugs are sporadic among OS X users. There seems to be a great variation in user experience--more so than with any other operating system I can think of.
[FONT="book antiqua"]"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."
- Thomas Jefferson, 1816.[/FONT]

dark3lf
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2002, 08:51 AM

Increase default # of lines from 2 to 3, TinkerTool does this the easiest.

Forum Links
Forum Rules