Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Big Apple Store Warning

Big Apple Store Warning
cocoa_coder
Aug 30, 2003, 08:38 PM

I bought Tony Hawk Pro Skater 4 From the Apple Store along with some other expensive equipment. When I got home I opened the cd and stuck it in my mac. It asked me to enter the serial code found on the jewel case. I looked all over the jewel case and could not find it. The only code i typed in did not work. I think it was the product UPC. Anyway I called the apple store and while i understand that they dont take software back for refunds or credit, I should be able to exchange it for the same item. I was given the cold shoulder. Warning. If you buy any third party applications from the Apple Store (Retail Location) you better ask to open it before you buy it or simply don't buy it. Now i have to contact the manufacturer for an exchange that could take 2 weeks and debate even.

ZackS
Banned
Aug 30, 2003, 08:56 PM

Just use surfers and avoid a big ordeal. Hell, half the time I buy things I just use surfers so I can just copy/paste the S/N

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 30, 2003, 09:03 PM

Originally posted by ZackS:
Just use surfers and avoid a big ordeal. Hell, half the time I buy things I just use surfers so I can just copy/paste the S/N
Ya same here. Sad but true.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

Karim
Senior User
Aug 30, 2003, 09:40 PM

That's why sn# protection is so stupid. It only inconveniences 100% x 100% (law abiding) citizens.

I think they should just get over sn# protection. If I were them (we all will hate this more -- I know) I would serialize each app & make it do an internet linkup on first install to document it to the hardware.

Sounds like MS right? Yeah, well , it works until MS in there stupidity create a few copies of site wide licenses that don't need to do it. And guess which copy spreads like wild fire over the internet.

Now, if you happen to buy a copy of Photoshop in the beach store in Bora Bora and then go down to the sand to do your masks, yes, your in for some trouble.

OK, I changed my mind. Just get rid of ALL copy protection. It doesn't stop anyone. So, just GET OVER YOURSELVES...

Forum Links
Forum Rules