Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > New iTunes features

New iTunes features
cenutrio
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2003, 11:40 AM

Hi guys

I just think that the gift certificate, the allowance, and the playlist recommended by celebrities features in the new iTunes is just fantastic. Any thoughts?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 17, 2003, 11:47 AM

Yeah, I've got some thoughts.

Like: I'd like to actually be able to USE the gift certificates, allowances, and all the other crap only open to US citizens.

I know, I know...just venting.

-s*

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 17, 2003, 11:57 AM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:

Like: I'd like to actually be able to USE the gift certificates, allowances, and all the other crap only open to US citizens.

-s*

oh and

"If Bush says we hate freedom, let him tell us why we didn't attack Sweden, for example. OBL 29th oct

Griggsy
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 17, 2003, 12:05 PM

-s*
what he said!
Torn apart by the wood peckers of mistrust t0 not have this happen 2 u visit guinea pig::the life of a mac designer::

cenutrio  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2003, 12:14 PM

I fully agree,

First, I'm European and second all my brothers use PCs. My birday is coming and I want to get those gift certificates

Let's hope they integrate Europe in the iTunes store asap

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 17, 2003, 12:27 PM

What's the legal problem for allowing Europeans (and everyone else) download the songs that are already there for the 0.99 USD? can Europeans not import CDs? Or is it just that European labels handle Britney and the like, and therefore Apple must go through them?

I just don't get it. Anyone else in the world can import products from the U.S. What's the big deal w/ downloading it.

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Oct 17, 2003, 12:32 PM

I suppose a retailer sells the product - like buying a CD from CDWOW - but iTMS is in fact duplicating and distributing - which is a different legal agreement

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 17, 2003, 12:59 PM

Originally posted by Xeo:
What's the legal problem for allowing Europeans (and everyone else) download the songs that are already there for the 0.99 USD? can Europeans not import CDs? Or is it just that European labels handle Britney and the like, and therefore Apple must go through them?

I just don't get it. Anyone else in the world can import products from the U.S. What's the big deal w/ downloading it.

One word: Licensing.

Different rules for different parts of the world I'm afraid. In this case it sucks big time.

Simon X
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 17, 2003, 01:00 PM

-s*
Word

mishap
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2003, 01:34 PM

I remember hearing someone had a patent or something else in Europe that wouldnt allow apple or anyone else to do this legally? cant remember the details, anyone got 'em?

willed
Professional Poster
Oct 17, 2003, 02:26 PM

Thread officially
HIJACKED

Even with imported CDs there is a huge mark-up, and I don't think this is to do with the fact that they have to transport them from the US, as of course most CDs are probably made in Taiwan anyway. It's partly tax, maybe partly licensing... Maybe... I dunno.

Basically if everyone could buy from the iTMS the RIAA would get mad and stop giving Apple music.

dtriska
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2003, 02:15 AM

Originally posted by mishap:
I remember hearing someone had a patent or something else in Europe that wouldnt allow apple or anyone else to do this legally? cant remember the details, anyone got 'em?
http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/...14124254.shtml

Meneldil
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 18, 2003, 03:36 AM

What happens if you're an American living abroad? I don't have a credit card at the moment, so it's a hypothetical question. If you have an American billing address, can you use the music store, or do they also try to check where your machine is? I realize this doesn't solve the problem for people from other countries, but I just wanted to know. Thanks.
--

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 18, 2003, 04:44 AM

It only matters where your credit card's billing address is, not where you are physically.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 18, 2003, 06:47 AM

Originally posted by Xeo:
can Europeans not import CDs? Or is it just that European labels handle Britney and the like, and therefore Apple must go through them?

Importing a finished album on CD is typically far more expensive than buying a local one - obviously.

If you look at an album, say, by bj�rk, you'll see that there is the label (One little Indian), and it'll say "licensed to ... for the U.S. and Canada. licensed to ... for the rest of the world."

Those licenses are regional distribution deals, and THEY are what's holding this stuff up.

Every album gets a label and distro. Distributors get a cut of every album sold regionally, and the deals are different from company to company, country to country, and album to album.

Downloading a song or an album from the U.S. bypasses regional distributors and violates written contracts.

I would NOT want to be involved with licensing international distribution of a near-half-million songs for the iTMS.

Really.

-s*

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2003, 07:33 AM

Originally posted by Icruise:
It only matters where your credit card's billing address is, not where you are physically.
The fine print in the agreement states otherwise, unfortunately. It spesifically limits the transactions geographically.

It's technically possible to download, by getting a forward adress from the US, but still illegal.

But is it less illegal than Kazaa, hmm, now that's the question

J

agentz
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2003, 08:15 AM

I think the whole iTMS idea is really neat but its starting to get kinda annoying not being able to use any of it. Feel kina like a kid just before Christmas with my nose pressed against a shop window looking at all the stuff I can't have. Dammit Apple. Yeah so its probably not your fault, but kick some ass!
MI5 doesn't do evil. Just treachery, treason and armageddon.

:XI:
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2003, 08:47 AM

Originally posted by agentz:
I think the whole iTMS idea is really neat but its starting to get kinda annoying not being able to use any of it. Feel kina like a kid just before Christmas with my nose pressed against a shop window looking at all the stuff I can't have. Dammit Apple. Yeah so its probably not your fault, but kick some ass!
I agree, but it's not like I'm not used to this. I mean, I can't afford a G5, an iPod or one of those 17" Powerbooks, an xServe with the Raid doodad. Funny, I never added 'doodad' to my dictionary and it's not come up as an incorrect spelling! Thingamabob. Nor that! Weird�

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Oct 18, 2003, 09:08 AM

Originally posted by Judge_Fire:
The fine print in the agreement states otherwise, unfortunately. It spesifically limits the transactions geographically.

It's technically possible to download, by getting a forward adress from the US, but still illegal.
Hmmm... IIRC, for tax purposes the transaction is geographically located where the server is. Thus if the iTMS server is US located the whole transaction is, from a legal viewpoint, performed in the US. Therefore should be legal.

If it doesn't scare hippies, it's not worth listening to

sambeau
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2003, 12:59 PM

Originally posted by Icruise:
If only it was that simple..

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 18, 2003, 01:14 PM

Originally posted by sambeau:
If only it was that simple..
It is that simple. I lived in Japan and used the iTMS many times.

Dubya's Dealer
Forum Regular
Oct 18, 2003, 03:27 PM

Ditto, I'm in France but that didn't stop me from downloading Ultimate Manilow, for example. It's all about where the credit card's biling address is. It's a Miracle- Could It Be Magic?

talisker
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2003, 11:53 PM

Originally posted by Sherwin:
Hmmm... IIRC, for tax purposes the transaction is geographically located where the server is. Thus if the iTMS server is US located the whole transaction is, from a legal viewpoint, performed in the US. Therefore should be legal.

I don't think it's a case of being illegal, it's simply that the record companies / distributers don't want you to do it at the moment. As they control whether or not their songs are distributed on the iTMS, Apple has to go along with whatever they want.

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2003, 09:26 AM

From the Music Store agreement:

J

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Oct 20, 2003, 01:00 PM

J
I don't think Apple is going to go out of the way to check and make sure you are in the USA...

They just want that option...

talisker
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2003, 09:45 PM

J
Doesn't make it illegal. Simply in violation of Apple's agreement.

Forum Links
Forum Rules