Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Panther Cascading Lockup

Panther Cascading Lockup
gordon142
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2003, 01:34 AM

Since installing Panther (the real, final, Panther), I've had this very nasty problem occur several times. It's happened four times while launching applications, and once while right-clicking on a dock icon.

The application being launched will completely lock up. I right-click on the icon in the dock and select "force-quit", which immediately locks up the dock (and does not force-quit the application). Any other applications I switch to will lock up as well, including the Finder. Bringing up the force-quit dialog will lock it up too. When this happens, the only solution I've found is to terminate the loginwindow process remotely. This kills all running applications, and logs out all users.

Needless to say, this is very, very annoying.

I did a clean install of Panther, I've repaired permissions, and run diskwarrior, but the problem persists.
I also deleted the cache folders in ~/Library, /Library, and /System/Library, deleted the dock preference files com.apple.dock.plist and com.apple.dockfixup.plist, and restarted.

I have the following third-party background applications/processes installed and active:
USB Overdrive
Synergy
More Internet
Macaroni
A Better Finder Rename/A Better Finder Select
Konfabulator
Launchbar
Snapz Pro X
USB Monitor
MacReporter (just upgraded to latest, non-dockling version)
escapepod
Unsanity's Application Enhancer with the following modules active:
Mighty Mouse

slider
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2003, 02:46 AM

This is probably no help, but, I was trying to get my sisters mutant imac to run Panther, and had some problems, iTunes would not launch saying on the pop up menu that the app was not responing. After a restart, we could not get past the login window. It seemed to be a USB problem, after removing a usb webcam the problem went away. Note, she was running App. enhancer with USBiChat ( or whatever it was call). Just noted you were using the enhancer too, good luck with it.

barbarian
Senior User
Oct 26, 2003, 03:25 AM

I had this same problem in Jag...

I solved it by killing 3rd party stuff.

My guesses for culprits:

Konfabulator
USB Monitor
A Better Finder Rename/A Better Finder Select

I've never had a problem with unsanity windowshade, launchbar or synergy which I swear by.

Detrius
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2003, 09:29 AM

killing the loginwindow should only logout the user who is using that loginwindow process.

You can use 'ps -auxc' to determine which one you need to kill.

BTW, I just did this on my machine to log out another user. It did not kick me out.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

gordon142  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 2003, 12:50 AM

I have tried disabling every third-party enhancement listed, one at a time. None of them have fixed the problem. Does anyone have any more ideas? If this continues, I may have to go back to Jaguar.

babymac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 11, 2003, 02:20 AM

I am so glad someone else is having this problem as well! I have a brand new dual G5 with a totally clean (erase and install) of 10.3. So far as I can tell, my hardware in this machine is perfect. However, I have had several "lock ups." About one every other day!

These freezes can occur without rhyme or reason. The mouse pointer will continue to move, but no the system does not respond to the keyboard or mouse clicks. If audio is playing it will eventually begin to stutter. Logging in remotely and killing loginwindow will fix the problem. I have NO third party interface enhancements installed!

Any ideas as to what's causing this? My guess is it's possibly related to fast user switching.

By the way I've already updated to 10.3.1...here's hoping this corrects the problem.
They misunderestimated me. - GW Bush

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 11, 2003, 02:36 AM

My guess is definitly on APE, it's still the only thing patching low-level sh*t on your system. Just like the bloody extensions of OS 9.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

trusted_content
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 11, 2003, 03:02 AM

No APEs here, clean install of Panther on wiped drive, having the exact same problem.

Usually the culprit app that starts the shitstorm is iTunes. See this thread I posted earlier.
I offer strictly b2b web-based server-side enterprise solutions for growing e-business trusted content providers ;]

littlegreenspud
Senior User
Nov 11, 2003, 06:09 AM

I have a clean install as well and it seems to be iTunes, for me as well, that brings down the whole system, and destroys the itunes library as well!

Morenix
Nov 11, 2003, 06:33 AM

Same here. UI Crashes.

Konfabulator
Unsanity's Application Enhancer with the following modules active:
Silk
Xounds

iTunes is also present in every ui crash.
made on mac with .mac with a powermac and mac os!
they call it a community, not a monopoly

trusted_content
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 11, 2003, 01:30 PM

Bump!
I offer strictly b2b web-based server-side enterprise solutions for growing e-business trusted content providers ;]

booboo
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2003, 02:47 PM

I had similar freezes in Jag, and then sometimes when accessing menus with large numbers of items. Freeze city. SBOD forvener . . .It took me ages to find out that it was some corrupt preferences in my Home/Library folder freezing up the entire system.

I dumped the entire Home/Library/Preferences folder, and then put back a few (3rd party ones) and everything's been fine since (on Panther too)

adamk
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 11, 2003, 03:02 PM

i have this occuringin panther. in my case, it was mail that would lock it up. if i started mail before the "MacOSX wants to unlock the keychain", mail would stall (instead of asking for the keychain password itself a la jaguar), and when i would force quit it using the dock, it would lock and then, my system required a hard restart (couldn't ssh in).

if i killed Mail via Terminal, i noticed that the lock menubar item wouldn't show up after the stall. subsequent relaunching of Mail would result in another stall. so i end up using pine.

i think my problem was with the Mirror Agent. i turned off automatic synchronization and things seem to be working better now.
it's either that or with keychain access.

now that i have Mail in the startup items, i haven't had a problem with it.

i haven't installed third-party system gizmos, either.

adam
"do unto others as you would have them do unto you" begins with yrself.

"He that fights for Allah's cause fights for himself. Allah does not need His creatures' help." -koran, the spider, 29:7

littlegreenspud
Senior User
Nov 16, 2003, 08:44 AM

OK, if you are having systems freezes and UI hangs RUN don�t walk to your hardware test CD and run the tests on it.

I have been suffering these since clean installing Panther. My system just hung again but when I restarted I got a Kernel Paninc on start-up. So I restarted again but this time into single user mode, Kernel Panig again (we�re hanging here...).

Right, so I inserted my Diskwarrior CD and started from that - Kernel Panic.

Time for Hardware Test CD. The CD diagnosed bad RAM. I removed all the RAM and tested one stick at a time, one stick came up bad.

I left this stick out and restarted - Kernel Panic.
I started from the HardwareTest CD - all ok.
I started from the DiskWarrier CD - Kernel Panic.

Time for Hardware Test CD. The CD diagnosed all ok..

I started in Firewire Target disc mode - this brought my TiBook into Kernel Panic.

So the Test CD is the only one that can start mg Dual Gig G4.

Then I remembered that I could try OS 9. I found my Norton CD and yes it started, I am now running the full suite of tests on the HD, fingers crossed it can fix it.

edited for typo.
( Last edited by littlegreenspud; Nov 16, 2003 at 08:51 AM. )

littlegreenspud
Senior User
Nov 16, 2003, 12:38 PM

Now the Panther install disk can "see"" the HD. I am copying off everything I can then re- installing.

Forum Links
Forum Rules