Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Brushed wood?

Brushed wood?
michaelb
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2004, 06:17 PM

Just having a look at the new GarageBand iApp and noticed its window surrounds.

Like a combination of the dark pro interface used in Final Cut Pro mixed with polished mahogany.

Wonder if this is the start of a new theme?

De-woodifier, here we come!

arekkusu
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 6, 2004, 06:41 PM

Agree. I wish Apple's metal/wood theme designers would curl up and die.

The best border is NO BORDER.

Steve Bosell
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 6, 2004, 06:59 PM

i think it looks cool, cant wait to get my hands on it

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 6, 2004, 07:12 PM

Originally posted by Steve Bosell:
i think it looks cool, cant wait to get my hands on it
Don't get a sliver now!

-Owl

Turias
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2004, 07:18 PM

Originally posted by OwlBoy:
Don't get a sliver now!

-Owl
You mean a splinter?

waffffffle
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2004, 07:18 PM

Originally posted by OwlBoy:
Don't get a sliver now!

-Owl
I think you mean splinter.

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 6, 2004, 07:22 PM

I don't know what to make of it. Reminds me of those Windows Longhorn demos somehow, but I have a strange feeling that this is a sign of things to come.
weird wabbit

Zadian
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 6, 2004, 07:36 PM

Originally posted by theolein:
but I have a strange feeling that this is a sign of things to come.
Cool! NeXT Step, here we come. In all this 80s revival a modern NeXT Step GUI would be very trendy and cool.

Aqua (and especially brushed metal) looks so 2001.

I once read a newsnet thread about which OS is the most goth OS (all thought it was NeXT Step). Sounds really cool, Mac OS X 10.4 - the most goth OS in the world.
The music while installing would be something form Nine Inch Nails or better some good Norwegian Black Metal.
I almost can imagine it, installing Mac OS X while listening to "Emperor: Inno a Satana" ;-)

OK, sure i can - i listened to that song while installing 10.3

OK, enough of that

Morenix
Jan 6, 2004, 08:51 PM

f******* crap ui
made on mac with .mac with a powermac and mac os!
they call it a community, not a monopoly

Chris Grande
Senior User
Jan 6, 2004, 09:10 PM

HIG where are you!?! What the hell is this UI, what the? hell??!? I remember during the WWDC Aqua Experience Session how they ragged on apps pushing their own UI, and what is this?? Apple doing the same? Dark Metal with Wood? I unlike many Mac users don't mind Metal, but this UI is just ugly and it doesn't even match anything? Looks like some hideous Windows App.
Functionality: A+
UI: F--

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2004, 09:17 PM

Holy ****..... that is part of the program?! When I took a first quick glance at it, I thought that it was just a boarder around the photo.

Apple.... heads are needed out of your asses. NOW.

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2004, 09:17 PM

Originally posted by arekkusu:
Agree. I wish Apple's metal/wood theme designers would curl up and die.

The best border is NO BORDER.

yukon
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2004, 09:33 PM

doesn't anyone see the shadow? it's a background.
[img]broken link[/img]
This insanity brought to you by:
The French CBC, driving antenna users mad since 1937.

lookmark
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2004, 10:10 PM

Nope, not a background. It's part of the window border. Check out some of the other screenshots on the GarageBand page.

I don't think this is the horrendous violation of HIG some are making it out to be (it's just two strips of texture to the left and right, not an abomination like the QT4 volume slider, a "nifty" look that was incredibly painful to actually use). And it kinda makes sense for GarageBand, whose look is inspired by Apple's dark grey FCP/Logic look, equalizer programs, and mixing tables.

Still, pretty wacky.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 6, 2004, 10:20 PM

Hel-lo.

Welcome to the world of audio software, where interface design is ALWAYS evocative of the software's real-world counterpart - insofar as one exists.

Large pieces of studio hardware have a long tradition of black faces and wooden endpieces.

-s*

allap
Forum Regular
Jan 6, 2004, 10:27 PM

What's the big deal? Am I the only one that thinks that the variation between Aqua, AquaPro, Brushed, and WoodenDarkBrushed makes for a more interesting GUI experience?

Morenix
Jan 6, 2004, 11:22 PM

the first time i saw that ui at the webcast i thought that it was the mpeg4 compreension or my connection...
made on mac with .mac with a powermac and mac os!
they call it a community, not a monopoly

crayz
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 6, 2004, 11:48 PM

Just pretend the wood isn't there, and see how much better the thing would look. Truly sad
"You have violated the spelling of the DMCA and will be jailed with the Village People."

blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2004, 11:52 PM

it resemble a vintage amp / audio equipment

thats why its the way it is
Apple II GS | Powerbook 165 | iMac Rev. A 96mb RAM| iBook G3 500mhz, 128mb RAM | Power Macintosh G5 1.6ghz, 2.25gb RAM | Black MacBook 2ghz, 2gb RAM | iPhone Rev. A 8gb HD

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 7, 2004, 02:41 AM

Originally posted by allap:
What's the big deal? Am I the only one that thinks that the variation between Aqua, AquaPro, Brushed, and WoodenDarkBrushed makes for a more interesting GUI experience?
yes. With Panther's plague of brushed metal, we're witnessing the Mac's UI circle the drain.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

MacMcMacintosh
Jan 7, 2004, 04:58 AM

"it resemble a vintage amp / audio equipment

thats why its the way it is"

I would totally agree, and as a user of pro audio equipment, quite a lot of the software now availiable does have the vintage look. I would guess the reason for this is that the magority of musicians prefer the vintage look (because vintage equipment is usually very good and cool).

I would have to say i quite like the UI of GarageBand

Phil

eevyl
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 7, 2004, 06:03 AM

Originally posted by blackbird_1.0:

Oh great I see, so everytime Apple develops some software to resemble a new thing, they will change the OS X UI to match it!

Now nice, we will end up with 50+ different UI in one OS... that will be confusing.

xe0
Forum Regular
Jan 7, 2004, 06:05 AM

Originally posted by blackbird_1.0:

well, if that is indeed the reason as to why apple have decided to go with this UI for GB; lets just hope thats where the UI stays

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 7, 2004, 06:29 AM

Originally posted by eevyl:
Oh great I see, so everytime Apple develops some software to resemble a new thing, they will change the OS X UI to match it!
The sky is not falling.

Apple/Emagic are merely following the conventions of the audio software industry.

The sky is not falling.

What surprises me is that GarageBand looks as different from other consumer apps as iMovie did when it came out, and all people are yapping about is the frigging wooden endcheeks!? As if THAT were a new interface paradigm!?

But then, perhaps people have learned from iMovie that software like this looks entirely different from what they've been used to because it IS, so they bitch about the only thing they can: woodends.

-s*

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2004, 06:43 AM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
Hel-lo.

Welcome to the world of audio software, where interface design is ALWAYS evocative of the software's real-world counterpart - insofar as one exists.

Large pieces of studio hardware have a long tradition of black faces and wooden endpieces.

-s*
Hel-lo to you too.

If Apple is using that design (The dark NeXTSTEP look) elsewhere, it can mean a number of things. It could mean that it will become symbolic for a particular line of Apple products, like the Jaguar and Panther motifs on the OSX site, or it could herald in a new set of UI changes, such as the brushed metal stuff.

I personally wouldn't object to being able to use a NeXT style interface, as I loved neXT and its simple professional interface (I am not one for fancy Aqua stuff), but that's just me.

Who knows, perhaps Apple will finally introduce official themes to the OS. ::Ends wishful thinking::
weird wabbit

arekkusu
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2004, 06:48 AM

Apple/Emagic are merely following the conventions of the audio software industry.
Too bad that they break conventions of the rest of the software industry while they're at it.

I DON'T WANT ANY TEXTURED WINDOW ADORNMENTS IN MY CREATIVE WORKSPACE.

I want to focus on the content I am creating. People that want to theme their windows have tools to do that. Please, don't force it on everyone.

WJMoore
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 7, 2004, 08:37 AM

Hel-lo to you too.

If Apple is using that design (The dark NeXTSTEP look) elsewhere, it can mean a number of things. It could mean that it will become symbolic for a particular line of Apple products, like the Jaguar and Panther motifs on the OSX site, or it could herald in a new set of UI changes, such as the brushed metal stuff.

I personally wouldn't object to being able to use a NeXT style interface, as I loved neXT and its simple professional interface (I am not one for fancy Aqua stuff), but that's just me.

Who knows, perhaps Apple will finally introduce official themes to the OS. ::Ends wishful thinking::
The dark look of the XServe page it just to make it more appealing to the types of people that would be considering buying an XServe.

JLL
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2004, 09:04 AM

Hel-lo to you too.

Or it could mean that the webdesigner thinks that it looks great on a page targeted at server buyers.

Mac OS X 10.2 didn't have a jaguar theme even though the Jaguar web page had.
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2004, 09:28 AM

Originally posted by JLL:
Or it could mean that the webdesigner thinks that it looks great on a page targeted at server buyers.

Mac OS X 10.2 didn't have a jaguar theme even though the Jaguar web page had.
I think you just restated what I said in my post, with the exception that I'm pretty sure that no webdesigner is going to make a page that doesn't conform to the rest of the site's design but does exactly mirror the UI of a completely different product targeted at completely different users just because he or she feels like it. On large sites such as Apple's, such design changes usually have to be ok'ed from quite high up. And one would really have to ask why the GarageBand page didn't get the black look but the XServe page did.
weird wabbit

JLL
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2004, 09:54 AM

And one would really have to ask why the GarageBand page didn't get the black look but the XServe page did.
Because the design of the web pages doesn't have much to do with the GUI.
JLL

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2004, 10:30 AM

Originally posted by JLL:
Because the design of the web pages doesn't have much to do with the GUI.
That still doesn't answer the simple question, now does it? Why the change in the XServe page design? Just because a webdesigner felt like it, is not the way large sites are made, believe me. If anything, then it would be more along the lines of what Steve Jobs felt would look cool.
weird wabbit

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2004, 10:43 AM

I hope they haven't used real Mahogany - it's a tropical hardwood that's in decline. Apple should be more responsible ! Do you think the wooden window makes it sound better, like quality wood speakers ?

JLL
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2004, 11:37 AM

Why the change in the XServe page design?
New models - updated design

The iLife pages are also updated
JLL

absmiths
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2004, 12:11 PM

I can't believe that people are so upset by an inconsequential issue. I already purchased iLife - even WITH the wood borders! Can you believe it?!?!? Why would anyone DO that? Because GB will be a great piece of software - and if the only complaint people have is that it has a thin wood border on either side then it will be a consumer success.

absmiths
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2004, 12:12 PM

That still doesn't answer the simple question, now does it? Why the change in the XServe page design? Just because a webdesigner felt like it, is not the way large sites are made, believe me. If anything, then it would be more along the lines of what Steve Jobs felt would look cool.
I personally hope it isn't a reflection of any change in the UI - I really don't like the Panter metal look on the xserv page - it reminds me too much of Linux.

TC
Senior User
Jan 7, 2004, 12:30 PM

I thought someone was handing out offers to brush my wood, not that kind of thread.
Nothing to see, move along.

hunkhuang
Forum Regular
Jan 7, 2004, 02:10 PM

it is simply, wildly UGLY

17" widescreen LCD, 1GHz PowerPC G4,
1GB DDR266 SDRAM, 80GB Ultra ATA HD,
NVIDIA GeForce4 MX, 64MB DDR video memory

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2004, 02:53 PM

I think it looks cool. And changing the color of a window isn't the same as "changing the interface." The window widgets are still in the same place. The resize corner is still in the same place.

Geez, some people make such a stink about brushed metal when it's just a way to make the GUI more interesting. Garage Band's wooden trimming makes it more interesting and it makes the OS look more varied.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

eevyl
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 7, 2004, 04:18 PM

Yeah make the OS more intesting, keep going.

I think that is almost the same "interesting" way that UI devs follow at Redmond, just look at how "interesting" is Windows XP, with all the colors, textures and so great and interesting wasted spaces and inconsistence widgets.

I don't say GarageBand is crap because of the UI, it really looks as a superb application, but I really think Apple is doing s***t with UI design here and there.

Any thing to add other than "it looks cool" or "it makes it interesting"? I mean some facts, some logic, we are human beings after all.

BTW my Mac is soooooo coolz, it r0x0r!

AB^2=BCxAC
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 7, 2004, 04:31 PM

Please, PLEASE somebody who complains about Apple's GUI show me something better. Links. Jpegs, gifs, show me show me. Because saying something like how that evocative solid-state cabinet wood frame motif for something called "garageBand" is "circling the drain"... well, if you know of better or can do better, please show me! I love good design, as many of us do, and I'd be happy to be aware of what you consider redeemable.

Honestly, when I see the things people theme their desktops with (especially on Linux) and they say it's sooooo much better, my eyes can't roll fast enough.
"I stand accused, just like you, for being born without a silver spoon." Richard Ashcroft

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2004, 04:43 PM

Originally posted by AB^2=BCxAC:
Please, PLEASE somebody who complains about Apple's GUI show me something better. Links. Jpegs, gifs, show me show me.
The biggest gripe with Apple's current GUI design is the lack of consistency. Showing you something different doesn't really help to make a point what's better. Open a few pure Aqua applications and that's good design. Open iTunes, iMovie and iPhoto together and that's good design (sort of). Open Apple's Pro Apps only and that's good design.

But open Finder windows in two different styles, a few Aqua, a few Brushed Metal apps, a Apple Pro App, GarageBand, and RealOne Player, and you have the screen cluttered with applications that all scream "Look at me! Look at me! I'm much cooler looking then the other ones!" That's interesting for the first few minutes, but when you need to get work done, you don't need applications with an attention deficit syndrom.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

AB^2=BCxAC
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 7, 2004, 05:00 PM

Originally posted by Developer:
The biggest gripe with Apple's current GUI design is the lack of consistency.
I have to disagree, because if there was a universal Apple consistency, there would be less personal identification to be made with the individual applications. Having distinctive GUI works especially well in an Expose environment, which itself is a solution for the bland repetitive nature of windows (ie Apple is acknowledging that many identical overlapping windows pose a problem). For example, if you look at Adobe Apps, you know from the tabs it's Adobe right away but the menu and toolbars are the only indications of which app you're using, and generally these get masked out as soon as you leave the app. However, what all of the Apple apps have in common is that they have a unique identity and purpose that is coordinated very well with each of the other Apple applications (more so in iLife) based on a consistent structure: the windows aren't merely windows, but Application Frames. I would like to measure iPhoto as the least successful because it is in fact too generic relative to Apple's packaging of the GUI for the other iApps. Also, you could say iPhoto is the least successful iApp because it hasn't equated its strengths into a reasonable metaphor within the GUI (filmroll icons not withstanding).
"I stand accused, just like you, for being born without a silver spoon." Richard Ashcroft

fizzlemynizzle
Senior User
Jan 7, 2004, 05:21 PM

Originally posted by Big Mac:
yes. With Panther's plague of brushed metal, we're witnessing the Mac's UI circle the drain.
good, does this mean all of you whiners will be selling your macs, switching to windows and leaving this site in peace?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 7, 2004, 06:15 PM

I don't say GarageBand is crap because of the UI, it really looks as a superb application, but I really think Apple is doing s***t with UI design here and there.
Um.

I hate to break it to you, but wood-grain sidebars on a window are NOT "UI design".

It does not IN THE SLIGHTEST affect the usability of this application if there are wood-grain sidebars, or bouncy blue ones, or brushed metal ones, or none at all.

It is merely your personal sense of taste that is offended.

Say so, but don't claim Apple is throwing user interface concerns out of the window.

(And I consider the point about recognizability in Expose quite valid, though a GarageBand track window should be fairly easily distinguishable regardless of window border.)

-s*

JayTay
Jan 7, 2004, 06:52 PM

Now look at http://www.apple.com/ibook/ and http://www.apple.com/powerbook/ They both use different button styles suited to the products, the Xserve page is no different.

NYGEO18
Forum Regular
Jan 7, 2004, 07:30 PM

i must say...
bring it ON!
I like the wood grain...its a warm departure from the coldness of the metal UI.
As Kramer so correctly said "Wood Jerry...WOOD"
"Drinking and driving is wrong, but hey, the kids gotta get to school right?"
-Dave Attell

eevyl
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 7, 2004, 08:17 PM

Um.

I hate to break it to you, but wood-grain sidebars on a window are NOT "UI design".

It does not IN THE SLIGHTEST affect the usability of this application if there are wood-grain sidebars, or bouncy blue ones, or brushed metal ones, or none at all.

It is merely your personal sense of taste that is offended.

Say so, but don't claim Apple is throwing user interface concerns out of the window.
The window frame is part of the User Interface, every little pixel you are looking at right now is user interface design.

Why you say it doesn't affect usability? Maybe not for a Mac zealot like myself or a lot of us, but certainly if my mom open up a new application and it has fancy wooden interface, she would be confused, I am sure she would. If it is a normal Aqua or (eck) brushed metal, she recognizes that and know how to react just the nanosecond it launches.

Also, I never ever said it was ugly, some others did but not me. I think the brushed metal look is quite cool and nice but it has several UI flaws that didn't get fixed in Panther (discussed to the end in this forums, do a quick search). Also I think that retro brushed wood look is cool, but throws Aqua out of the window, and I bet it has several of the same flaws brushed metal has...

So, while I like the look, I would love Apple doing something that proved they care about Aqua and the Mac OS GUI. The Aqua improvements in Panther are quite good, but people are starting to think that brushed-whatever is the "official" look of Mac OS X, and that is just plain wrong... for now...

SomeToast
Senior User
Jan 7, 2004, 08:31 PM

[...] but certainly if my mom open up a new application and it has fancy wooden interface, she would be confused, I am sure she would.
AAAAAAGGGHHH!! THERE'S WOOD BORDERS ON THIS WINDOW! WHAT HELL HATH I UNLEASHED?!!

When she gets over her initial shock from seeing colored borders where there were none before, I'm sure your mom will be whipping out the phat trax in no time.

eevyl
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 7, 2004, 08:40 PM

Originally posted by SomeToast:
AAAAAAGGGHHH!! THERE'S WOOD BORDERS ON THIS WINDOW! WHAT HELL HATH I UNLEASHED?!!

When she gets over her initial shock from seeing colored borders where there were none before, I'm sure your mom will be whipping out the phat trax in no time.
Yeah whatever, we can swap places in the "technical inclined family member" anytime if you like, my spare time would appreciate that

funkboy
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2004, 03:56 AM

Apple needs consistency and better quality controls in their software department.

'nuff said. I'm tired.

Forum Links
Forum Rules