Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > [Mockup] Need A Themer.

[Mockup] Need A Themer.
Pix0r
Forum Regular
Nov 2, 2004, 01:17 PM

May I present Nieve!

I've had it lying around for some time now, I've even tried making it myself, but Theme Park doesnt like me. Would anyone be interested in making this with me?

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2004, 01:27 PM

Looks cool. The text could be a bit darker though for non-LCDs...
click one

FB Eye
Senior User
Nov 2, 2004, 01:29 PM

Originally posted by Pix0r:
May I present Nieve!

I've had it lying around for some time now, I've even tried making it myself, but Theme Park doesnt like me. Would anyone be interested in making this with me?
I kinda like the low contrast idea, would be curious to see how useable it would be. Sorry I can't help you out, TP hates me with a passion too

I hope you're a strong person and mentally stable, because showing a mockup in these forums is like asking to witness your own execution

Good luck!!!

Makki
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2004, 01:41 PM

Originally posted by FB Eye:
I hope you're a strong person and mentally stable, because showing a mockup in these forums is like asking to witness your own execution
LMAO thats so true hehe

Pix0r  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 2, 2004, 03:41 PM

lol, yar, I agree, but after 10 years working as a designer, one does tend to have a thick skin

Dace
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2004, 04:25 PM

Nieve as in the spanish word for snow.

It's too bright and white...looks good though, but I prefer bright and colourful.

Data Bytes Computers - Montreal, QC
Ventes & Services / Sales & Services

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Nov 2, 2004, 04:50 PM

May I present Nieve!

Hope you don't mind too much, but I upped the contrast a bit, to what I think would be more useable:
Nieve leveled

I think it looks promising though.

FB Eye
Senior User
Nov 2, 2004, 04:54 PM

Max!!! OMG it's been a while since you posted here

Tell us it's because you're gonna be hyperactive around here again!!!

Pix0r  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 2, 2004, 08:44 PM

Originally posted by bOOzo:
Hope you don't mind too much, but I upped the contrast a bit, to what I think would be more useable:
Nieve leveled

I think it looks promising though.
That seems to make sense, though I would probably not up it so much, sorta inbetween the two

Another question, I'm not a themer so I dunno, but is it feesable? Or are there things that couldnt/wouldnt work? (like the menu for instance?)

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2004, 09:43 PM

First theme may be alright... But sheesh, use something other than White as your background (It'll make it more acceptable here)

orangep0ny
Forum Regular
Nov 2, 2004, 10:33 PM

its all feesable so far, the menu will work fine

revmitcz
Nov 3, 2004, 12:33 AM

I know this is gonna come off like a ********ed post. It's not meant that way.

But, really, I gotta say - I come to these forums damn-near daily, seeing if any new themes are coming out, and seeing if any previews of themes that are actually in-development are being posted. But, it seems like most of the time I come here, all I see is either a "teaser" for a theme that we don't hear from for some 6-8 months or a mock-up some (usually admittedly talented and creative) designer posted, looking for someone to do the grunt work.

I know the excitement people get to post their latest theme idea on here - it garners a lot of attention, people get to debate on every last detail of the theme, and we all look forward to its release (really, almost no matter how bad it is).

However, why don't some of you who post mockups and previews and "I'm looking for a themer" ideas just go ahead and make a theme? I'm a designer, too, and I'm sure I could come up with at least a few "ooh nifty" designs to post on here. But that doesn't make a theme any more than saying "listen to this cool riff" equals writing a full song.

Understand that this isn't a lashing-out at Pix0r, by any means, but I just thought someone oughta point out how ridiculous all of this is. It seems to me, again as a designer, like the equivalent of the "Creative Director" penciling out a semi-impossible website redesign, asking the designers to fill in the details and putting the site live and then taking full credit for it.

Theming is obviously a tough thing, and obviously time-consuming - so I understand the desire to just stay the hell out of it, but if you're gonna post a mock-up, why not just go through with it or ... just sit back as most of us do and admire the work of those dedicated enough to bring them to fruition?

Go ahead - start the flames.
RevMitcz.com : home of moi.

RedStar
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 3, 2004, 12:43 AM

First off... ending your post with "start the flames" is annoying and trolling.

This is a public forum. If people can't throw around ideas here where can they? Yes, it's annoying when people endlessly post mockup, teasers and unfinished websites, but the great thing about the forum though is that nobody is forcing you to read them.

There are a few people who post here who I wish would go away, but it is their right to post whatever they damn well please...as it is yours.

I guess all I'm saying is that if nobody wants to pick up the theme than they won't, but don't try to censor peoples ideas.
( Last edited by RedStar; Nov 3, 2004 at 12:49 AM. )

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2004, 12:44 AM

Originally posted by revmitcz:

But, really, I gotta say - I come to these forums damn-near daily, seeing if any new themes are coming out, and seeing if any previews of themes that are actually in-development are being posted. But, it seems like most of the time I come here, all I see is either a "teaser" for a theme that we don't hear from for some 6-8 months or a mock-up some (usually admittedly talented and creative) designer posted, looking for someone to do the grunt work.

I know the excitement people get to post their latest theme idea on here - it garners a lot of attention, people get to debate on every last detail of the theme, and we all look forward to its release (really, almost no matter how bad it is).

However, why don't some of you who post mockups and previews and "I'm looking for a themer" ideas just go ahead and make a theme? I'm a designer, too, and I'm sure I could come up with at least a few "ooh nifty" designs to post on here. But that doesn't make a theme any more than saying "listen to this cool riff" equals writing a full song.

Understand that this isn't a lashing-out at Pix0r, by any means, but I just thought someone oughta point out how ridiculous all of this is. It seems to me, again as a designer, like the equivalent of the "Creative Director" penciling out a semi-impossible website redesign, asking the designers to fill in the details and putting the site live and then taking full credit for it.

Theming is obviously a tough thing, and obviously time-consuming - so I understand the desire to just stay the hell out of it, but if you're gonna post a mock-up, why not just go through with it or ... just sit back as most of us do and admire the work of those dedicated enough to bring them to fruition?

Well then, I guess I wont post my preview.

It's ok , it's for windows anyways

More appreciative bunch on that side....

Chris

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2004, 12:46 AM

Originally posted by RedStar:
First off... ending your post with "start the flames" is annoying and trolling.

This is a public forum. If people can't throw around ideas here where can they? Yes, it's annoying when people endlessly post mockup, teasers and unfinished websites. The great thing about the forum though, is that nobody is forcing you to read them.

There are a few people who post here who I wish would go away, but it is their right to post whatever they damn well please...as it is yours.

I guess all I'm saying is that if nobody wants to pick up the theme than they won't, but don't try to censor peoples ideas.
ibttp

In before the then/than police.

Chris

RedStar
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 3, 2004, 12:50 AM

Originally posted by kmkkid:
ibttp

In before the then/than police.

Chris
hey, this ain't the lounge buddy. heh.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2004, 01:43 AM

He posted it for constructive feedback and to see if anyone would like to help him make it... Already he's got some good feedback on there needing to be more contrast for readability. It's not a teaser, and I know he doesn't want your rants.

Building a theme with feedback form the community is great. Some really good themes have been made this way, and may not have been as good if they weren't posted at an early stage of development. So please for the sake of the theme keep replies to constructive comments only.

I say keep going with it, it has the potential to be a great theme.
click one

fireside
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2004, 02:12 AM

another white/light grey theme? :/

Pix0r  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 3, 2004, 07:06 AM

Originally posted by revmitcz:

Before I start, I just want to say that this isn't directly aimed at you, I've had this on my mind for some time.

Ok, well... I'm subscribed to about 20 different forums on the net, whether they be graphic, GUI, software or hardware forms is irrelevant. One thing that puts macnn way ahead of any other of the forums is the lack of common decency, courtesy, respect and manners. Sometimes it's ridiculous.

Never the less, I've never been one to complain. Quite frankly I don't give a sh�t I know where you're coming from. I for one like seeing 'artist renderings' of what they think would be a good theme, since I am an artist myself, rather than a coder/themer. What would this place be like it there where only releases, no discussion or commentary? ...down right boring.

Like I said in the original post, I have tried to make this theme myself, I was very big on not showing anyone until it was done BUT I simply do not have the know how or time to make a fully fledged theme. See
here.

Anyway, All I wanted is some positive input and maybe someone who would be interested in working together with me in producing the theme.

Originally posted by fireside:
another white/light grey theme? :/
Your just about the model student when it comes to the things mentioned above...

fireside
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2004, 02:38 PM

Your just about the model student when it comes to the things mentioned above...
all my teachers said i was the model student.

mugget
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 3, 2004, 08:42 PM

wow. i think i can barely see after looking at that first one... i'd say it definitely needs to be a bit darker, or at least some darker parts - borders etc.

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2004, 11:59 PM

Interesting.
Here are a few things to work on:
1. Contrast. I think it's pretty obvious.
2. The Finder button sunken bevels are a little too thick. If they were toned down a little and shrunk, oh, maybe 2 px it would look better
3. Color. I think at least somewhere there should be a little color to make it stand out.

Not a bad idea.
I probably couldn't do it. I've opened TP maybe a dozen times just to fix some messed up rsrcs.
I'm also not very good with all the grunt work. I'm not that experienced with creating interface elements either. Here's some stuff I've fooled around with if you care:

As you can see, I'm not too good.
I might be able to help, but don't expect it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules