Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Bootcamp Error - Just Need Direction on How to Fix

Bootcamp Error - Just Need Direction on How to Fix
Rex32
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 29, 2009, 10:47 PM

Hey Guys,

I really need to get Windows 7 up and running on my Macbook tonight for work related stuff. Whenever I try to run bootcamp, I get this error:

Back up the disk and use Disk Utility to format it as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume. Restore your information to the disk and try using Boot Camp Assistant again.

From what I read, I need to either iDefrag and then use iPartition to make a new partition - or follow the instructions in bootcamp. I don't have an external HDD to backup my computer to, but I do have a Time Capsule that I is up to date on my backups... I would however, like to make a second backup image to be sure. If I am going to erase my laptop and start fresh and then restore, I just want to be certain that I have a solid backup of my data and that I can get all my info back onto my computer. Also, when I format it in disk utility, I want to be sure that I create the right partition maps to use with bootcamp. Could any provide some quick insight on this matter.

Thanks,

Mike

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 30, 2009, 08:19 AM

Try iDefrag first and see if Bootcamp lets you create your Windows partition. Generally the issue is related to fragmented free space on the drive, which Bootcamp can't handle. Or you could simply back up your OS X installation using Disk Utility (boot from your OS X installation disc and use DU that way), then use DU to format the drive over again (which is what the error message tells you to do). I think when it comes down to it, the latter works better, because you'll have a freshly formatted drive to work with.

Either option takes time. Be aware that you'll also need a destination for your backup if you go that route, so an external hard drive is a good idea.

HTH.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Rex32  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 30, 2009, 06:31 PM

Can I just just my Time Capsule to restore? I don't have an external (USB) Hard drive.

Thanks,

Mike

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 30, 2009, 11:25 PM

I don't know if TC will perform a full restore, and in particular whether it will allow a restore to a different size partition.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Dec 1, 2009, 12:04 AM

First, is your drive already partitioned? If yes, then that is your problem.

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I don't know if TC will perform a full restore, and in particular whether it will allow a restore to a different size partition.
Yes, Time Machine can do a full restore and the size of the partition doesn't matter as long as it's big enough to hold the data.
Vandelay Industries

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 1, 2009, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
First, is your drive already partitioned? If yes, then that is your problem.
I assumed it was because of the error message text: "reformat to a single partition..."
Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
Yes, Time Machine can do a full restore and the size of the partition doesn't matter as long as it's big enough to hold the data.
This is good to know in general.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Dec 1, 2009, 01:26 PM

If there are multiple partitions, it's not necessary to wipe the whole drive. Only the extra partitions need to be removed. After the data is backed up on the other partitions, Disk Utility can do live partitioning to restore the drive back to one partition. iDefrag or wiping the entire drive is only necessary when there already is one partition and Boot Camp can't create a second.
Vandelay Industries

Forum Links
Forum Rules