Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > 20" iMac HD Full, Finder does not exist??

20" iMac HD Full, Finder does not exist??
DmbShn41
Jan 25, 2011, 07:50 PM

I have a friends iMac (iMac 5,1) that is currently non functioning. Once logged in, nothing loads. No Finder, Dock, Menu bar, nothing. Luckily, he had Firefox set to start at log in, and that loads up, which brings the menu bar back. From there, I can get a few places, but no where to further investigate the issue. The culprit to this issue, I believe, is that when viewing System Profile, the HD is showing zero kilobyte available of the 250 GB capacity. I've had issues in the past with Tiger on my old iMac where I would get a rogue log file that would balloon up to 186 GB. Problem is right now, I can't even get the the Utilites folder. No Spotlight to search... ANy help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Intel iMac - 17" 2Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 1 GB RAM 150GB HDD
MB 13" - Early 2010 Model iPod Touch - 16GB
iPad - 16GB WiFi iPhone 3GS - 16GB

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jan 25, 2011, 08:00 PM

What do you have under recent items? Anything handy?

Failing that I would boot into single user mode and look for something to delete. Command -S during boot gets you single user mode. Follow the on screen instructions to get write access to the drive.

Then find something to delete.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

DmbShn41  (op)
Jan 25, 2011, 08:04 PM

Under Recent Items just basic stuff, Acrobat Reader, iTunes, Logic Pro, HP Printer Setup, System Preference, System Profile. Booting into Single User mode...not familiar with this, could you give me more insight? My friend would like me to recover his files, and reload Snow Leopard. I don't want to risk being able to do that. And by 'deleting' items, you mean free up space? Thanks for quick response.

DmbShn41  (op)
Jan 25, 2011, 08:52 PM

So as I was browsing Apple's Support area for help with UNIX commands under Single User Mode, I found Safe Boot options that described my issues. By using Safe Boot, I was able to get the computer to boot back to a desktop that I can use, and I am currently runing Disk Utility. Try verifying and repairing and see where that gets me. HD currently showing 624mb available. Thankgs again for the help.

reader50
Administrator
Jan 25, 2011, 11:17 PM

If I'd run into this problem (HD full, incomplete startup) I'd put the iMac into FireWire Target Disk Mode, and use another Mac to scan the drive for useless big files.

If you don't have another Mac, boot from an external drive. No external drive? Boot into the alternate partition. The small one set up for emergency repairs on the main partition.

If you don't have either of those options, then it's time for fun with safe boot, or single user mode, and hoping you know enough to not hose the system with the wrong commands. ie - by deleting necessary files.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jan 26, 2011, 06:59 AM

Alternate partition? Are Apple doing this too now? The only one I ever saw was the diagnostic partition and that doesn't let you move files around that I know of.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

reader50
Administrator
Jan 26, 2011, 12:58 PM

I've set up a few Macs for other people, and often included a 10 GB emergency partition with useful utilities. So they could recover their main partition without having to bring it back to me. Apple doesn't ship anything set up that way.

It makes sense if they lack install discs. A used Mac, or they've misplaced their discs, or a laptop while away from home.

is not
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 28, 2011, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by DmbShn41 View Post
I've had issues in the past with Tiger on my old iMac where I would get a rogue log file that would balloon up to 186 GB.
A silly question maybe, how to find rogue files?

512ke
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 30, 2011, 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by is not View Post
A silly question maybe, how to find rogue files?
spotlight search listed alphabetical under -R-

Forum Links
Forum Rules