Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Canon intros mirrorless EOS M

Canon intros mirrorless EOS M
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Jul 23, 2012, 07:14 AM

Canon has officially unveiled its previously rumored mirrorless camera, the EOS M. The launch makes Canon the last of the large four manufacturers to use such a system, with Sony's NEX-C3, Nikon's J1 and V1, and Fujifilm's X-Pro 1 reaching the market earlier this year and late last year. Using an 18-megapixel CMOS (APS-C) sensor with the DIGIC 5 image processor, the EOS M appears to match many of the specifications the Rebel T4i uses, if not sharing the physical appearance.

Both the EOS M and the Rebel T4i use Canon's new nine-point autofocus system with cross-type sensor array, hybrid CMOS autofocus, and a three-inch touchscreen. The available ISO range, up to 25,600 for stills or 12,800 for video, represent an improvement over the Rebel T4i, however the EOS M suffers from a slower 4.3 FPS continuous shooting speed. It retains the ability to record 1920x1080 resolution video at 24, 25 and 30 FPS. The Canon EOS M initially will go on sale sometime in September in Japan for 79,800 yen ($1,020), including the EF-M 22mm f/2 STM kit lens It will become available in the US in October for around $800, while a white version will also be on sale through Canon's online store. [via Engadget]

ggirton
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 23, 2012, 08:34 AM

That is not a photo with the kit lens.
a penny here a penny there, pretty soon you're talking two cents

Ham Sandwich
Jul 23, 2012, 11:31 AM

Greetings. I am unable to delete my posts, and apparently you moderators are on some kind of a strike.

Therefore, I have removed the content of the original post by hand.

I am asking for this post to be deleted, since I don't seem to have the option to do that myself.

jreades
Jul 24, 2012, 12:23 AM

Ooooh, adaptor gets it working with EF lenses as well. This might be my next camera: one EF-M lens so that I've got something compact to carry around day-to-day, and the adapter to enable it to serve as a backup system to my 50D. Sweet.

Forum Links
Forum Rules