Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > S-Video adapter lost, where to buy?

S-Video adapter lost, where to buy?
madgreek
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 30, 2000, 01:47 PM

I lost my little s-video adapter that came with my PowerBook G3 Series and was wondering where I might be able to purchase another?

I tried looking at the Apple store but didn't see anything -- I sure wish they had a SEARCH option
Power Mac Quad G5 2.5GHz, OS X 10.4.10
===
Aluminum 23" HD Cinema Display
===
Aluminum 15" PowerBook G4 w/Superdrive
===
iPhone 8GB

wlonh
Professional Poster
Sep 30, 2000, 01:58 PM

a very quyick search using Sherlock yielded this: http://www.datatekusa.com/msrp/9.htm

"PowerBook Video Adapter C126 59.95"

madgreek  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 30, 2000, 02:05 PM

You are my hero! Many thanks...a bit expensive but oh well.
===
===
===
iPhone 8GB

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 1, 2000, 07:46 PM

...or you could go to a local Apple dealer and order one. I'm sure they can order the part.

Before ordering from the other company, be sure their 'video adapter' is actually the S-Video-->composite cable. I suspect their product is the one needed for PB 1xx, 5xx, and 1400/3400/G3 Kanga machines' VGA output, which uses a nonstandard connector, to connect to a regular monitor.

tooki

madgreek  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 1, 2000, 08:42 PM

tooki, Ya I decided yesterday to do just that after I thought about why that other would be so expensive. The only Apple dealer around here is CompUSA and will check with them tomorrow. You wouldn't per chance know where I could find out the part number?
===
===
===
iPhone 8GB

Patrick Lee
Oct 7, 2000, 07:26 PM

59.99 is definitely too expensive. In fact, I'm pretty sure it's the wrong part, just from the price alone. That sounds like a video out powerbook to vga adapter. The apple SVGA to RCA adapter should be much less espensive. Give apple tech support a call and ask them about it, they'll probably refer you to the apple-fulfillment center which distributes small parts.

-Pat

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 8, 2000, 12:33 AM

Originally posted by madgreek:
tooki, Ya I decided yesterday to do just that after I thought about why that other would be so expensive. The only Apple dealer around here is CompUSA and will check with them tomorrow. You wouldn't per chance know where I could find out the part number?
Unfortunately, as a consumer, there is no way to find out . Authorized dealers have both electronic and paper versions of Apple part catalogs, and should have no trouble finding the part.

As I was writing this, I realized that the adapter that came with my Pismo would probably have the part number on it, and lo and behold: 590-1121.

Assuming Apple sells this as a replacement part, which is likely, a dealer should be able to get it for you.

tooki

madgreek  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 8, 2000, 07:50 AM

Thanks for that part number. I'll do some checking around and see who has it.
===
===
===
iPhone 8GB

slboett
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 8, 2000, 01:18 PM

�f I remember correctly (I'm gettin' old so cut me some slack) you can use an Apple ADB cable as it's the same pinout and plug configuration...If I'm wrong, please, flame away!

Scott

drewman
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 8, 2000, 01:27 PM

The old Apple cable would only work if you were going from s-video to s-video. Don't recommend it because of shielding problems (wrong pairs shielded together).

You can buy a third party s-video to composite adapter from some electronics stores or on-line, but they charge a lot for them - $40.

The funny thing is that all they are doing is taking the black and white signal and the color signal and mashing them together with a small capacitor to do some coupling. Total cost is about $3. I know because the company I work for now makes their own rather than buying them after we cracked one open.

drewman

madgreek  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 9, 2000, 07:25 AM

drewman, how about having your comapny make me one for $5 ;-)
===
===
===
iPhone 8GB

madgreek  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 10, 2000, 09:30 AM

Ahhhhh, I found the adapter yesterday. Small Dog Electronics had it for $12 and it should be here in two days.
===
===
===
iPhone 8GB

Gunner1954
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 14, 2000, 06:35 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by drewman:
[B]The old Apple cable would only work if you were going from s-video to s-video. Don't recommend it because of shielding problems (wrong pairs shielded together).

Had a IBM ThinkPad owner come into our Mac office to give a presentation. He forgot to bring his S-Video cable to hook up to our projector. Took the coiled ADB keyboard cable off one of our Mac clones. Perfect! I would say, as long as the cable is short, ADB is okay to use as S-Video cable.

madgreek  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 14, 2000, 06:57 PM

Gunner1954, we'll I don't have to go the ADB route now that I got in my s-video adapter from Small Dogs. I don't plan on losing this one...I hope ;-)
===
===
===
iPhone 8GB

Forum Links
Forum Rules