Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Wireless router/AP help :(

Wireless router/AP help :(
mulletman13
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 16, 2004, 08:05 PM

Hey all,

I am currently running a US Robotics wireless access point/router and I have a problem. I'm in a university and I'd like to be directly on the network.

However, I have DHCP server turned on-- which assigns me an ip of 192.xxx.x.xxx. I believe an 'access point' is basically forwarding the IP of my network port in the room, but this doesnt give any results, and my powerbook doesnt recognize a connection or anything.

I went to whatismyip.com and it gives a 129.xxx.x.xxx number... which may be my external addy, and when i plug my computer directly in the port it gives me one of 10.xx.x.xx ... I really do not know the proper terms or anything, but can somebody please try to tell me what I need to do?

AP Only mode is fine, but I cannot connect to anything, and I have no way of getting an IP address (that i know of).

Thanks in advance

John Strung
Senior User
Sep 16, 2004, 09:24 PM

Does the WAP have more than one port? Do not connect the WAN port to your wall connection. Instead use the Uplink port if there is one. Other wise use one of the numbered ports. Use the WAP's setup utility to turn off the DHCP server. These two steps will result in your WAP running as a bridge instead of a router, which is what you want.

mulletman13  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 16, 2004, 10:02 PM

Hey thanks a lot, that did it.

However I'm gonna have to go to tech support in the morning because to the school... I don't have an IP address, so it takes me to the registration page and nothing more. Grrr..

Ah well, thank you again for telling me that-- i would have never guessed.

Forum Links
Forum Rules