Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Feedback > Report Forum Bugs Here

Report Forum Bugs Here (Page 2)
turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 23, 2007, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by rickey939 View Post
Ummm, this place is a mess.
Yeah, the web drives us crazy

-t

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2007, 10:38 PM

Sometimes I click on a thread, and it will take me to a post near the bottom. WTF.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2007, 10:50 PM

That's no lie. What's up? Someone forget to feed the hampstors?
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jul 23, 2007, 10:51 PM

Code:
It appears that Page 2 hasn't been made extremely wide (in Safari 3, anyway) yet. I am therefore going to widen it a bit to give the admins a little incentive to fix this very annoying bug. To recap: The horizontal scrollers on the code blocks are appearing in Firefox, but not in Safari 3.
edit: I should add that the horizontal scrollers only appear in Firefox when there are no breaks in the text (for the code block above, I used non-breaking spaces instead of regular spaces). Otherwise, it wraps, and you don't get the horizontal scrollers.
( Last edited by CharlesS; Jul 23, 2007 at 11:02 PM. )

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 23, 2007, 11:09 PM

WTF

It's getting worse by the minute...

-t

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2007, 11:47 PM

It's just a matter of time before the forum software starts taking our posts out of context, changing all of the facts and messing up the grammar.
------
Time is just, well, it matters from the the software start talking pasta into context and changing clothes on the postline to mess up teh grandma.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 24, 2007, 02:44 AM

Whoa...

thewebdrives
Jul 24, 2007, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
In Firefox 2 I get the RSS icon in the address bar while browsing the forums. When I click it, it opens my RSS reader, NetNewsWire Lite, and subscribes to the feed. In the past, the feed would show me newly-posted threads (but not updated ones). However, for a long time now, the feed doesn't do anything at all. I've tried unsubscribing/deleting it from my reader and re-subscribing, but that hasn't helped.
Accoriding to the information provided by you i have fixed the RSS. Now feeds are availabe.

thewebdrives
Jul 24, 2007, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Whoa...

i am looking into this problem.

thewebdrives
Jul 24, 2007, 08:29 AM

code tag seems to be fixed now. Now it displays scrollbars in safari too.

thewebdrives
Jul 24, 2007, 08:52 AM

Fix: when searching by post now it will take you directly to the post by clicking the hyperlink in the results displayed. here i would like to mention that the search words will not be highlighted because it was working on threads not individual posts.

thewebdrives
Jul 24, 2007, 09:51 AM

fix: Extra addition of 's' has been fixed. Now you will see no extra 's' in thread lists.

Cold Warrior
Jul 24, 2007, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by thewebdrives View Post
Accoriding to the information provided by you i have fixed the RSS. Now feeds are availabe.
Indeed you have. Thanks!

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jul 24, 2007, 11:40 AM

Code:
This is a test to see whether the code tag scrolls when used normally, or whether it just wraps. The last time, I used non-breaking spaces - this time I am typing normally. Let's see what happens.
Nope - it still just wraps.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

thewebdrives
Jul 25, 2007, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Indeed you have. Thanks!
You are most welcome. It was our job. Indeed i should thank you for reporting the problem.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 25, 2007, 01:07 PM

Thank you webdrives for taking care of all these issues.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 25, 2007, 04:34 PM

I HATE this "feature." The link to a thread now has the thread's real URL followed by /newpost/, which seems to do exactly the same as clicking on the name of the most recent poster. The problem is, now there is no way to simply go to the start of the thread. It's absolutely awful. I go to start reading the thread, and by the time my poor pismo is done loading the page, I'm about halfway through the first post, and suddenly it jumps to the bottom of the page. If it's a long page, it freezes Safari for about 15 seconds while it finishes rendering. This wasn't a problem when I could spend that time continuing to read the first post. It is a problem now that that time is spent looking at the bottom of a thread I don't even know the subject of yet.

At the very least, you have to make this "feature" optional. I would say just take it away altogether, it's redundant.

gorgonzola  (op)
Admin Emeritus
Jul 25, 2007, 09:11 PM

Just to clarify the remaining problem, the code tag now correctly ignores smilies and adds a horizontal scrollbar when there is a long line *with no spaces in it* (and this works fine in Safari), but if you have a long line broken up by spaces, it still incorrectly wraps the line and doesn't show the horizontal scroll bar.

For example, the text "blah blah blah ..." (repeatedly) where there are no line breaks, only spaces, should cause the code box to show a horizontal scrollbar so you can see all the "blah"s on one line. You can also see the example CharlesS showed earlier.

Basically, the code tag should only wrap lines when there is an actual newline that has been entered by the user.

I hope this helps clarify things. Thanks.
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

gorgonzola  (op)
Admin Emeritus
Jul 25, 2007, 09:31 PM

Just to document this here as well, I've fixed the resize image CSS; it now looks like this, which should be a big improvement over that nasty turquoise with the italicized text:

edit: Haha. It resized the picture of the resizer, sorry for the confusing pic.
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Jul 25, 2007, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by gorgonzola View Post
Just to document this here as well, I've fixed the resize image CSS; it now looks like this, which should be a big improvement over that nasty turquoise with the italicized text:

edit: Haha. It resized the picture of the resizer, sorry for the confusing pic.
Turquoise is back
Signature depreciated.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 26, 2007, 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
I HATE this "feature." The link to a thread now has the thread's real URL followed by /newpost/, which seems to do exactly the same as clicking on the name of the most recent poster.
They broke it when they 'fixed' it.

The subscribed threads list used to point to the first new post. After the forum redesign this feature was broken. A few days ago they 'fixed' it by adding the "/new-post/" suffix to all thread URLs, that is even to threads that you have not subscribed to.

All they need to do is remove the suffix from all URLs outside of the ones in the subscribed list and the problem would be fixed. I have already told them about it here. Others have also reported the bug but there has been no fix and not even a response yet.

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Jul 26, 2007, 05:49 AM

No exactly a forum bug but I thought this was amusing:

It only shows up in the RSS feed. thewebdrives must be screwing with MacNN itself!
Signature depreciated.

gorgonzola  (op)
Admin Emeritus
Jul 26, 2007, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
They broke it when they 'fixed' it.

The subscribed threads list used to point to the first new post. After the forum redesign this feature was broken. A few days ago they 'fixed' it by adding the "/new-post/" suffix to all thread URLs, that is even to threads that you have not subscribed to.

All they need to do is remove the suffix from all URLs outside of the ones in the subscribed list and the problem would be fixed. I have already told them about it here. Others have also reported the bug but there has been no fix and not even a response yet.
I'm confused, I don't see /newpost/ in the URLs to the threads in the normal thread listing. Was this a temporary problem? What's going on?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 27, 2007, 03:01 AM

No it's still there. Just check URLs of threads listed in any forum here that have new posts since you last came here. Even if you haven't subscribed, they'll have the '/new-post/' suffix.

Here my mouse was hovering over the 'Keys to Press at Start-Up' thread (you can recognize it's underlined). I haven't subscribed to that thread and yet, as you can see from the status bar, the URL is pointing to the first post since I last came here.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2007, 08:20 AM

Here's an interesting one... It seems all threads in the Lounge are taking forever to load, while threads everywhere else on the site are loading at normal speeds.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2007, 09:03 AM

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 27, 2007, 09:44 AM

It took me long enough to load this thread, I think it's just widespread and random.
There's some serious database optimizations need doing, or else one of the addons is slowing everything down.

Why don't you try taking vBeso and the Image Resizer off for a while to see if things are any better?

Is there a version of the forum available using the legacy theme? I'm interested to see if it would be faster.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2007, 09:48 AM

The only reason I point to the Lounge specifically is because at one point I just went down each thread in "New Posts" and all of them loaded within 5 seconds except the Lounge threads which took much longer if they loaded at all.

But its the internets, so I guess it could be coincidence.

Edit: And we seem to be getting normal behavior now...
( Last edited by Dakarʒ; Jul 27, 2007 at 10:00 AM. )

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 27, 2007, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by seanc View Post
It took me long enough to load this thread, I think it's just widespread and random.
There's some serious database optimizations need doing, or else one of the addons is slowing everything down.

Why don't you try taking vBeso and the Image Resizer off for a while to see if things are any better?

Is there a version of the forum available using the legacy theme? I'm interested to see if it would be faster.

I believe that one of the mods mentioned that these image resize calls were not happening via asynchronous AJAX like they should, but not much else was said IIRC...

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 27, 2007, 10:31 AM

Doing some random searching on Wayback Machine, looks like the forums switched from Ultimate BB to VBulletin on 22 Sep. 2002.

The Wayback Machine doesn't have an archive with the new theme until Feb 10th 2007, Feb 2nd 2007 has the old theme. I'm sure we had this theme way before that? :S

Also interesting to look at the theme changes along the years. Most of them were relatively minor, keeping the same colour scheme and a similar layout up until this one.

gorgonzola  (op)
Admin Emeritus
Jul 28, 2007, 02:31 PM

No it's still there. Just check URLs of threads listed in any forum here that have new posts since you last came here. Even if you haven't subscribed, they'll have the '/new-post/' suffix.

Here my mouse was hovering over the 'Keys to Press at Start-Up' thread (you can recognize it's underlined). I haven't subscribed to that thread and yet, as you can see from the status bar, the URL is pointing to the first post since I last came here.
Got it; I had been looking at threads without new posts. Thanks.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 30, 2007, 08:49 AM

Well now you've fixed the /new-post/ bug by turning the feature off altogether.

The threads in the 'Subscribed Threads' lists no longer have the suffix in their URLs. Could you put 'em back in (but only there please!)?

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2007, 09:48 AM

Well now you've fixed the /new-post/ bug by turning the feature off altogether.

The threads in the 'Subscribed Threads' lists no longer have the suffix in their URLs. Could you put 'em back in (but only there please!)?
Seconded. That feature is great with subscribed threads in the control panel.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

thewebdrives
Jul 31, 2007, 07:54 AM

now /new post/ link will appear in the list of Subscribed Threads only.

thewebdrives
Jul 31, 2007, 07:57 AM

code tag will now not wrap the lines of text with spaces i.e. now even if you type a long text containing spaces also then you see the scrollbars.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 31, 2007, 09:56 AM

Fantastic, thanks!

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jul 31, 2007, 12:51 PM

code tag will now not wrap the lines of text with spaces i.e. now even if you type a long text containing spaces also then you see the scrollbars.
Code:
This is a test of the code tag to see if it will wrap on a really long line or whether it will scroll. Here are a few smilies: :) ;) :D :p :\ Test test test test test. Okay, this line should be long enough now.
edit: awesome, thanks!

edit 2: whoops, i forgot one more thing to try with the code tag.

Code:
int main(int argc, const char *argv[]) { printf("This line should be indented!\n"); printf("So should this one\n"); }
Uh oh, it's ignoring leading whitespace that would be used to indent lines. This can make long code blocks quite hard to read, especially if they have a lot of branches in them... sorry guys, i've gotta ask you to fix yet another thing about the code tag. I think this should be it, though.
( Last edited by CharlesS; Jul 31, 2007 at 01:24 PM. )

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 31, 2007, 04:47 PM

Well it's still not appearing here.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 31, 2007, 05:23 PM

Weird, I had to re-login just now....never had that happen before.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 31, 2007, 05:33 PM

Same here.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jul 31, 2007, 06:00 PM

i thought it was the new firefox update; but i had to relogin too.

now, image resize isn't working. this site is still a mess. *sigh*

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 31, 2007, 06:06 PM

Well it's still not appearing here.
Stopped working sometime this afternoon.

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Jul 31, 2007, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by residentEvil View Post
i thought it was the new firefox update; but i had to relogin too.

now, image resize isn't working. this site is still a mess. *sigh*
Ditto...

...and ditto.

Multi-quote seems to put posts backwards too.
Signature depreciated.

OreoCookie
Aug 1, 2007, 12:58 AM

The image resizer is borked again.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 1, 2007, 06:58 AM

As is the fav icon

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 1, 2007, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
The image resizer is borked again.
Roger that.

On the other hand: clicking on a post in search results or a list of posts from a user now takes to that actual post, instead of just to the OP of the thread. A++
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 2, 2007, 07:34 AM

Is it just me, or is everyone else having to login EVERY SINGLE TIME they visit?!?
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 2, 2007, 07:35 AM

I just had to login again. It's the third time now already.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2007, 08:22 AM

Did not have to relogin.

thewebdrives
Aug 8, 2007, 08:19 AM

Code:
int main(int argc, const char *argv[]) { printf("This line should be indented!\n"); printf("So should this one\n"); }

Forum Links
Forum Rules