Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Global Village 56K V.90 and OS 9

Global Village 56K V.90 and OS 9
DarwinX
Oct 15, 1999, 04:01 PM

I have a Global Village 56K V.90 modem, I read somewhere that OS 9 won't work and that they are curretnly working on an update, what I am wondering is if anyone has tried or successfully tried to use the two together and if there are any workarounds. Thanks in advance.

Matt
Oct 16, 1999, 05:32 AM

I read that the Teleport software doesn't work. I'm using a GV v.90 56K with OS 9, and it works just fine - I don't need/use the Teleport software. I haven't used the GlobalFax v.2.6.8 yet, so I cannot speak to that. I'm using the modem script that came from GV with ARA 3.5, and it works fine. I've also read that FreePPP doesn't work, although I haven't tried that either.

Theo
Oct 16, 1999, 09:02 AM

It works fine, even the fax software. I don't know what the incompatibility is.

Treuf
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 21, 1999, 03:51 AM

I am on a Yosemite 350 DVD.
I am using the internal Global Village modem for this mac, and the Global Village extension (that appears in the chooser) don't see the modem.
That way i don't have the modem bar in my menu bar when i am connected. I didn't tried the fax software.

KILLIANS
Oct 31, 1999, 08:59 PM

The info...is in regards to certain iMacs and B&W G3's...from what I have read. If you venture to their site and it revolves only around the Global Fax software. v2.6.9 is to be released soon to remedy this problem.

hippycowboy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 1999, 11:15 PM

The GV fax software version 2.6.5 does NOT work in Mac\OS 8.6 OR 9.0. Specifically: you cannot recieve faxes. I also seem to get disconnected from my ISP evry few minutes or so under 9.0 (it worked reliably, other than faxing, under 8.6) I am running this on a Lombard Powerbook G3 (bronze keyboard) and when I activate the automatic receive fax option I get slow menu and mouse response. It takes 5 to 10 seconds for the system to respond to any mouse clicks, menu dragging, etc. Even if you turn on manual receive for faxes, the modem does not ring or respond (although the jerkiness of the mouse, menus seems to go away, I still have yet to receive a fax: 3 months running?). I've searched for an update online but haven't found one so far. If anybody knows a fix, please let me know. I'm told GV is working on a fix.
peace'n luv bayby!

TigerN28763
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 6, 1999, 03:24 PM

I am running a G3 B&W with the questioned GV modem and software. I have been sending and receiving faxes. However we did experience "the slowdown". I could not isolate the culprets and ended up doing a partial reinstall. I ran slowly even with extensions off, after zapping the pram and even running TechTool 2.5.2. Since the mini reinstall, I have not received faxes, but I will probably turn it off.

Moose
May 9, 2001, 03:27 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by hippycowboy:
[B]The GV fax software version 2.6.5 does NOT work in Mac\OS 8.6 OR 9.0. Specifically: you cannot recieve faxes. I also seem to get disconnected from my ISP evry few minutes or so under 9.0 (it worked reliably, other than faxing, under 8.6) I am running this on a Lombard Powerbook G3 (bronze keyboard)<<

Hi
My Globalfax just crashes the system on startup with my new G3 Powerbook 500 (OS 9.0.4). Anyone know where I can download the compatible version of GlobalFax?
Thanks - Moose

FIGHT BACK!
May 31, 2001, 02:19 AM

Here's a letter back for Global Village 56K V90 modem owners from the new owners of the Global Village brand. I wrote the letter below in response to their response to whether or not OS 9.1 works with this modem. NO IT DOES NOT, and if you have one TOO BAD!! because the new owners of Global VIllage don't feel they do not have to support their product line.

BOYCOTT ALL GLOBAL VILLAGE PRODUCTS!!! because if you buy anything from them, chances are they are going to BURN you and the evidence below shows that they are willing to moon their customers of it suits them. DEMAND SUPPORT OR DEMAND YOUR MONEY BACK.

A CLASS ACTION suit against them like the one against IOMEGA is a good idea. SPREAD THE WORD!!

Here's the letter mentioned:

To Zoom Telephonics (new owners of GLobal Village modems brand):

Please forward this e-mail to the senior staff.

As as owner of a Global Village 56K V90 modem I feel that your decision not to bother to further support owners of these modems with updates is completely unacceptable. These modems were bought with the understanding that support would be available and we paid hard cash for it. Now Zoom wants to continue to sell modems under the Global Village name but is willing to dump the loyal users of this modem at a drop of the hat!

Recently there was a class-action law suit against Iomega regarding their support for Zip drives. I believe that there, may be some legal avenues to pursue in this case to gain justice regarding Zoom Telephonics responsibility to provide support and updates for Global Village 56k V90 modem owners.

I will also write to both MacWorld, MacAddict, and Newsgroups to recommend that people boycott new Global Village products since its obvious that your company cannot trusted.

Before I do the above however, I would like to offer a solution; perhaps it would be wise that you offer customers, such as me, a free upgrade to the V.92 Modem you plan to market, since our current modems are useless under MacOS 9.1 and OSX. Either that or give me a refund/credit.

There is absolutely no excuse for what is being done to Global Village customers. Your explanation is incredibly lame: "Zoom does not have any of the product engineering data on products manufactured while Global Village was under Inprimis' ownership" WHAT COMPLETE INEXCUSEABLE BULL.

Please let me know what you will do to resolve this issue ASAP. I bought the modem with good faith. Now its time for you to offer your customers YOUR GOOD FAITH. Do the right thing. I cannot accept your response below.

Sincerely,

Global Village 56K V90 (deserted) owner

[email protected] at [email protected] wrote:

> Recently you requested personal assistance from our on-line
> support center. Below is a summary of your request and our
> response.
>
> If we do not hear from you within 48 hours we will assume your
> issue has been resolved.
>
> Thank you for allowing us to be of service to you.
> -------------------------------------------------------------
>
>
>
> Summary
> ---------------------------------------------------------------
> Do Global Village V90 556K modems work with Mac OS 9.1?
>
> SUGGESTED SOLUTION
> At 05/30/2001 11:14 AM we wrote - Sorry, no. I understand your situation. The company that made your modem, Boca Research, has left the modem business in July 2000 and there will be no updates/upgrades to that product. In the past, it might have been possible, although not an obligation, to accomodate your request however, Inprimis, Inc.(formerly Boca Research http://www.inprimis.com/), exited the modem and communication software business on 7/28/00. They continue to be responsible to their customers for warranty obligations on defective product during the balance of the five year warranty period, but no longer have any Engineering or Programming staff able to accomodate a request such as yours.
>
> The Global Village brand name was sold to Zoom Telephonics for use in the manufacture of newly designed products only, and Zoom does not have any of the product engineering data on products manufactured while Global Village was under Inprimis' ownership.
>
> I am sorry that we could not provide more assistance.
>
> See http://www.globalvillage.com/news/pr_104.html
>
> Description

> Do Global Village V90 556K modems work with Mac OS 9.1? My modem will work
> with Mac OS 9.04 but not with 9.1. Is your company planning to do a proper
> update to fix this problem? My feeling is that the change in ownership of the
> Global Village line has left your customers without the updates they need.
> Your customers believed in your product, now your product need top believe in
> its customers, no matter who owns the company. Lagging support is just plain
> bad business.
>

> Product: MODEMS (MAC)
> Sub-Product: TelePort 56K V.90
> Category: Internet Connectivity
> Created: 05/30/2001 12:19 PM
> Last Updated: 05/30/2001 02:34 PM
> Elapsed Time: -2 Hours, -59 Minutes
> Status: Waiting
> Operating System: Mac OS 9.1

Originally posted by DarwinX:
I have a Global Village 56K V.90 modem, I read somewhere that OS 9 won't work and that they are curretnly working on an update, what I am wondering is if anyone has tried or successfully tried to use the two together and if there are any workarounds. Thanks in advance.

Forum Links
Forum Rules