Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Need help crossing over to 10.2

Need help crossing over to 10.2
sethwrks
May 14, 2003, 09:42 AM

here goes the big move...
However, what i'm unclear of, is how to save all my e-mail addy's, Explorer favorites etc.
Now, ive uploaded/downloaded/installed/deleted so much crap that i want to erase the whole hard drive before i install 10.
The perverbial "fresh start"
I have plenty of types of media to saves things to, i just dont know everything i need to save.

pliny
Mac Elite
May 15, 2003, 09:26 PM

The move to OS X is simple. If you aren't going to wipe your drive, simply install X. Your OS 9 data will all be there afterwards. If you are going to wipe your drive, you have to backup whatever data you want to save.

1. make a list of all the programs you have information in that you want to save.
2.Familiarize yourself with where the information is stored and transfer the files to some media. This depends on the particular program but in general, user information for specific applications in OS 9 will be stored in application specific folders in the documents folder, and in the prefs folder in the system folder. The latter is where you will find the Explorer favorites, for instance.
4. Use the OS X install cd to wipe the drive and install X.
i look in your general direction

Forum Links
Forum Rules