Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Apple Wireless KB & Mighty Mouse

Apple Wireless KB & Mighty Mouse
memory-minus
Senior User
Aug 5, 2006, 06:25 PM

Hi all,

Got my Apple Wireless Keyboard and Mighty Mouse purchased today and hooked up to my Intel iMac. I was successful in getting them connected in Windows, too.

Caveats:

1) Mighty Mouse must be clicked once at the Windows login screen to reconnect each boot. Takes 2 to 3 seconds after that to register movement.

2) Keyboard must be turned off then turned back on once Windows boots to reconnect. Takes about 5 or 6 seconds after that to register typing.

3) Volume and eject keys don't work.

All in all, pretty painless especially since I only boot into Windows occasionally. Both operate completely normally in the Mac environment, no power cycling or clicking or any of that. No problems with startup key sequences (like option) either.

My question is:

Is there a third-party Windows utility I can use to assign a keyboard shortcut (say, control-option-up arrow) to control volume and, if possible but not at all necessary, eject? I love wireless but I really miss having the ability to control volume from the keyboard. Any ideas? Thanks!

memory-minus  (op)
Senior User
Aug 5, 2006, 06:57 PM

Scratch that, it doesn't respond to startup key sequences if you reboot while in Windows. So if your default is OS X and you need to reboot Windows after, say, installing an application, you either have to set Windows as the default OS in Startup Disk control panel before rebooting or let it boot into OS X, reboot again and this time holding option will work.

Also, to answer my own question, I found this hideous (but free) program that will control the volume. I haven't tested it extensively but it works:

http://www.download.com/Global-Audio...ml?tag=lst-0-1

Still no luck on an eject shortcut though.

RogueSqdn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 6, 2006, 06:53 AM

What I did was to put a shortcut to the dvd drive in Windows' Quick Launch bar. Then I can right-click on it and choose Eject.

The Eject button on my MacBook keyboard doesn't always work in WinXP, either. For me, the BT MM works in Windows with the exception of side/diagonal scrolling.
Rogue
-------

MacBook Pro 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo w/2GB DDR2 RAM & Logitech BT MX1000.
"I can feel your anger... it gives you focus, makes you stronger!" -- Emperor Palpatine, Revenge of the Sith

memory-minus  (op)
Senior User
Aug 6, 2006, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by RogueSqdn
What I did was to put a shortcut to the dvd drive in Windows' Quick Launch bar. Then I can right-click on it and choose Eject.
Perfect. Works great. Thanks!

Originally Posted by RogueSqdn
The Eject button on my MacBook keyboard doesn't always work in WinXP, either. For me, the BT MM works in Windows with the exception of side/diagonal scrolling.
Yes, I've noticed the lack of side-scrolling support too. I think because it's using a generic HID driver. Maybe when Apple releases BootCamp "Gold" they will have fixed these issues.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 6, 2006, 10:24 AM

Here's the deal: the wireless keyboard and mouse don't support Windows at all-read the system requirements for all the details.

I think it's amazing that you have any functionality at all. Getting the whole thing to work would be truly amazing! Remember: when you're running XP through Boot Camp, you're running Windows on an Intel machine. That means there's NOTHING Mac about it.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

RogueSqdn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 6, 2006, 09:57 PM

I live in Winston-Salem and made the trip to the Apple Store in Charlotte to pick up the BT MM. After checking out, I opened up my MacBook right there, got it to work in OSX, then booted up Windows and got it to work on the second connect attempt (lotsa BT devices in the store!). They were surprised as well.
Rogue
-------

"I can feel your anger... it gives you focus, makes you stronger!" -- Emperor Palpatine, Revenge of the Sith

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 7, 2006, 04:10 PM

"Impressive..." But maybe it doesn't take a Jedi to get some devices to work. Did you give the MightyMouse a full workout, or just the basic two or three button functions?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

RogueSqdn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 9, 2006, 12:22 PM

I haven't tried it in the past few days, but the side buttons act as a BACK button, while left, right, and middle clicking work as normal.
Rogue
-------

Forum Links
Forum Rules