Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > appleshare ip: NAT?

appleshare ip: NAT?
iomatic
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2000, 10:58 PM

Well, does AppleShare IP provide NAT services? How about WebStar? Mac OS X too complicated?

Thanks!
jack

Crack Smoker
Sep 25, 2000, 11:44 AM

NAT is a function of a router. Or a software router, say, IP Net Router.... or a MaCSense DSL router or a CISCO 675 or.... I could go on? must I?

jzaw
Sep 25, 2000, 12:45 PM

appleshare ip doesnt have NAT but it does have a firewall capability via ip filtering

should be useful if you need a firewall

------------------

do acts of random kindness and senseless beauty!

do acts of random kindness and senseless beauty!

iomatic  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2000, 01:56 PM

Wait, you said the 675 can do this? How? so i could have: the server on the hub, and the 675 hooked up where? on the hub? more explanation needed!

thanks!

Originally posted by Crack Smoker:
NAT is a function of a router. Or a software router, say, IP Net Router.... or a MaCSense DSL router or a CISCO 675 or.... I could go on? must I?

Mad Flyer
Sep 25, 2000, 03:26 PM

Please avoid Cisco at all costs... they are to network devices what Microsoft is to operating systems, only a major plague...
Instead try the wonderfull R9100 from Netopia. If only they could make Wan router and level 3 switches...

iomatic  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2000, 03:59 PM

Well, here are my choices, on the cheap:

1) IPNetRouter $89 --setup all kinds of cool stuff in conjunction with AppleShare IP. some quirks, but tested by them to work well with ASIP and WebStar. Question: which one is a better file/web server?

2) Cisco 675 $0 --already have one; so how do you set it up for NAT? difficult to setup? must use serial port (i.e., find a PC laptop or older Mac) to setup?

thanks!

--also; thoughts on 2 ethernet adapters? required?

Originally posted by Mad Flyer:
Please avoid Cisco at all costs... they are to network devices what Microsoft is to operating systems, only a major plague...
Instead try the wonderfull R9100 from Netopia. If only they could make Wan router and level 3 switches...
[This message has been edited by iomatic (edited 09-25-2000).]

[This message has been edited by iomatic (edited 09-25-2000).]

tonymac
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 25, 2000, 08:12 PM

Have you tried reading the manuals for the Cisco router? or checked their website for documentation. These forums are more typically used for troubleshooting and buying advice. Not as a free network consulting service. If you're really lost (particularly if this is for a business), you may want to hire a professional network consultant to get you set up.

iomatic  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2000, 09:16 PM

I didn't know that. Sorry if I offended you (seems like I did.) No, I haven't read the manuals --are you actually helping me by saying I can do this by reading the manuals, or are you just trying to flame me?

I have questions, I had no idea I wasn't asking for advice. Like for instance, should I get another Ethernet adapter? Or whether or not others (not you, obviously) have advice on setting up NAT on the Cisco router. Again, my apologies this isn't valid to you.

Just asking, not really trying to start a flame war. And, actually it's not really for a business. As jz said above:
"do acts of random kindness and senseless beauty!"

Originally posted by tonymac:
Have you tried reading the manuals for the Cisco router? or checked their website for documentation. These forums are more typically used for troubleshooting and buying advice. Not as a free network consulting service. If you're really lost (particularly if this is for a business), you may want to hire a professional network consultant to get you set up.

Forum Links
Forum Rules