Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > What mouse are you using?

What mouse are you using? (Page 2)
Dakar
Professional Poster
Oct 10, 2006, 12:01 PM

MouseMan Dual Optical

No Time 4 Love Dr. Jones
Forum Regular
Oct 10, 2006, 12:50 PM

My trusty MS IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0b. I scoured eBay to get a couple of extras.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Oct 10, 2006, 01:44 PM

I'm using the Mighty Mouse that came with my iMac. But I'm thinking of switching back to my trusty old Logitech MX300 (or something like that, could be 500 or 700). The mighty mouse, like every apple mouse ever made, sucks. The scroll thing, while handy (with the 2 directions), gets clogged constantly. And I don't even have greasy hands. The side buttons suck. They would suck less if the mouse settings would allow for two different functions left and right.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Oct 10, 2006, 01:48 PM

Home: Mighty Mouse School: MS Notebook mouse
Signature depreciated.

voicebox
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 11, 2006, 08:11 PM

Just invested in a Wireless Mighty Mouse .... an excellent piece of kit!

Rev2Liv
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 12, 2006, 02:33 AM

Logitech MX Revolution. It's a heavy mouse, but uses teflon pads to reduce friction. It glides like buttah.

I had been using a MS Intellimouse 6000 which also worked nicely. In addition, I used a wireless migthy mouse for lefthanded use but found that it does not glide very smoothly. I wish Apple used teflon feet.

brokecollegestudentF04
Banned
Oct 12, 2006, 09:01 AM

Logitech Wireless Desktop.... 35 dollars on clearance at walmart... works great.. beats the old crappy microinnovations wireless crap I was using...

-Q-
Oct 12, 2006, 10:51 AM

Work: Logitech MX700
Home: Logitech S530

expergo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 12, 2006, 09:29 PM

Logitech MX900 at home. Soon to be Logitech v270 on the road. Love bluetooth.

Silky Voice of The Gorn
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2006, 02:24 PM

I just bought the Kensington PilotMouse Bluetooth. This thing is a POS-- the tracking is TERRIBLE. I've fiddled with the software, moved my BT dongle, to no available. The pointer has a mind of its own. It seems to work halfway decently on a green rubber pad I have, but any irregular patterened surface it's a nightmare.

Does anyone else have tracking/ skipping issues with BT mice? Suggestions for better ones (not the Mighty Mouse, I don't like it). I'm gonna return this thing tomorrow, it's mind-boggingly useless.

ranga
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 13, 2006, 07:03 PM

I've been using a Kensington PilotMouse Optical Pro for several years. Before that I was using a Logitech Optical Scrolling Mouse.

--ranga

joe
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2006, 06:59 PM

I'm using a Logitech MX310 on my G5 Tower, nothing on my MacBook (luv Apple's trackpad).

The MX310 has 6 programmable buttons which I have set to the usual (left, right), and expose (all windows, desktop), and forward, backward for FireFox/Safari. This mouse is unusual in that it's one of the few avaialble multi-button mice that's also perfectly symmetrical. So it's easy to use for both lefties and righties but also has extra programmable buttons and a hi res sensor. It also makes a great gaming mouse too. I hope Logitech will offer a BT2.0 version of this mouse some day. Probably just wishful thinking given the industry tendency towards large right hand oriented mice.

RogueSqdn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 14, 2006, 08:16 PM

Using the Apple BT keyboard and Mighty Mouse while my MacBook is plugged into the Dell 2001FP 20.1" LCD I have. I'm getting pretty close to abandoning my PC for good and getting an Xbox360, as I'm starting to get tired of the costs associated with PC gaming and flight sims. But the monitor does 1600x1200, so it's still good.

If I could figure out a way to reprogram the Cruise Up/Down buttons on my Bluetooth MX1000 I'd use it instead. I'm using xGestures to make mouse gestures for forward and back (CMD [ and CMD ]). Steermouse 3.4 will recognize the mouse but not those two buttons.

I alternate a lot.. Steermouse will reocgnize every button on the MX610, so I'm thinking about using that. I guess not being Bluetooth wouldn't hurt when at my desk, but I'd hate having to keep up with the receiver on the road.
Rogue
-------

MacBook Pro 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo w/2GB DDR2 RAM & Logitech BT MX1000.
"I can feel your anger... it gives you focus, makes you stronger!" -- Emperor Palpatine, Revenge of the Sith

barnardeep
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 15, 2006, 05:36 PM

logitech g7

Silky Voice of The Gorn
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2006, 09:52 AM

So I traded in for a Logitech LX5. I really like this one. It has a usb receiver, and tracks perfectly. It's simple; just 3 buttons and a tilt-wheel, but I prefer that to some 34-button beast.
Cordless Mice > Logitech� LX5 Cordless Optical Mouse

asodamiac
Senior User
Oct 17, 2006, 04:11 AM

I'm using a Logitech MX900. I got it for the bluetooth. It's awesome not having to use a dongle of any sort! No drivers (or none that I know of), so all of the buttons are programmed to use expose. This is OK, but I'd really like to use the back/forward buttons for web browsing.

On a side note, I noticed how terrible my mouse pad is. I'm looking into a new one. A mouse pad is just as important as the mouse itself!
15" Powerbook G4 | 1.67, 1.5gb, 128VRAM, SD
20" iMac | 2.66, 2gb, HD 2600
Dell 2408WFP

houltmac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 17, 2006, 01:51 PM

I use wired Mighty Mouse' at work and home, I also use the Apple Wired Keyboard at both locations. If I was going to get another mouse though (non-Apple) it would be a Logitech, probably another MX 1000. I love that mouse so much.

macaframa
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 18, 2006, 01:10 AM

I was reading through this thread trying to decide myself. I have a 15 inch PowerBook and wanted to free up a USB and wire clutter. It is on an iCurve and hooked up to a Dell 20.1. I never liked the Apple mice before, but when I went and bought the Apple wireless keyboard I just had to try the BT Mighty Mouse. 4 days in and I look it quite a bit. The right click issue has not been a problem. I really like it. Now maybe after the scroll ball gets clogged I'll be singing a different tune, but as a former Apple mouse hater I am a convert.

MTsett
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 18, 2006, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Microsoft Laser Mouse 6000

Best mouse ever.
Hey!
I use the Microsoft Laser Mouse 6000, too!
A solid, good-looking, well functioning 5-button mouse.
Infared and optical tracking are great!
I have to agree.
Microsoft does Mice well.
It looks good with my Mac MDD and overall Mac setup.
Looks right at home with my Mac setup
Is very egonomically comfortable.
Battery life has been great, also
Works very well, too!
AND did we say made by MICROSOFT?!
Who DA Thunk it?
I'll agree with you, Best mouse. EVER!

dru
Senior User
Oct 19, 2006, 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by transamman1999 View Post
just trying to get a feel for what kind of mice are controlling you all's Macs. so post up what you you're clicking and what machine you're using it on.

I've been using this (white) HP Mouse 5-button optical with USB Overdrive (Universal Binary). It's attractive and works very well. The mouse was cheap too.
20" iMac C2D/2.4GHz 3GB RAM 10.6.8 (10H549)

mikochu
Forum Regular
Oct 19, 2006, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by MTsett View Post
Hey!
I use the Microsoft Laser Mouse 6000, too!
A solid, good-looking, well functioning 5-button mouse.
Infared and optical tracking are great!
I have to agree.
Microsoft does Mice well.
It looks good with my Mac MDD and overall Mac setup.
Looks right at home with my Mac setup
Is very egonomically comfortable.
Battery life has been great, also
Works very well, too!
AND did we say made by MICROSOFT?!
Who DA Thunk it?
I'll agree with you, Best mouse. EVER!
i was gonna buy a MS Laser Mouse 6000 just on mduell's recommendation, but i checked it out and I wasn't very fond of the ergonomics...
Michael Reyes | www.mikochu.com | Power Mac G5 DC 2.3ghz, 2.5gb RAM, 320/250gb HD, Dual Sceptre 20" LCDs | MacBook Pro 2.0ghz, 2gb RAM, 80gb HD, 15.2" LCD, booq Vyper M2 sleeve, OGIO No Drag | iPhone 3G 16gb | iPod 60gb (5g), iPod2Car in the car | iPod 20gb (4g) in an iHome in the bathroom :)

gnomexp
Forum Regular
Oct 19, 2006, 09:36 PM

RazerPro v1.6 and ProPad

I needed something ergonomic while still allowing for games. I simply could not use a Mighty Mouse anymore; it hurt too much.

I also have a Logitech TrackMan Marble thingy for use at work.
( Last edited by gnomexp; Oct 22, 2006 at 01:07 AM. )

phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2006, 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by gnomexp View Post
RazerPro v1.6 and ProPad

FINALLY someone with my mouse... the thing is amazing! although my mouse pad is the $2 jobs from walmart...

Zach

red rocket
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2006, 06:03 AM

I also use the numerical keypad quite a bit.

threestain
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2006, 11:48 AM

I use the cracking RadTech BT100 bluetooth toy...

siflippant
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 20, 2006, 12:04 PM

Apple bluetooth...

Andy8
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2006, 05:42 AM

I just bought a MS Laser Mouse 5000, as i did not need all the features of the 6000 and I prefer the fit of the 5000 in my hand.

Frugle
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 21, 2006, 10:51 AM

origional apple Bluetooth mouse
15" MacBook Pro | 2.16GHz | 2GB DDR2 | 100GB 5400 rpm | 256MB X1600

dbranham
Forum Regular
Oct 24, 2006, 04:39 PM

Just switched from the original Apple BT mouse to my trusty, 4-5 year old Logitech MX700. I believe the MX700 to represent the most virtuous characteristics of mousedom....more or less.
Old Times There Are Not Forgotten

AquaX
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2006, 07:04 PM

Kensington optical elite.

Cubester
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2006, 07:49 PM

Wow, the crowd here votes overwhelmingly for Logitech and I fully agree. I've been using the fab wireless MX700 for about 4 years. It charges itself in its cradle (original batteries still hold an all day charge - it's never died on me). Also, the drivers, while somewhat limited, enable me to program all seven buttons to my liking. I haven't clicked on a back (or for that matter forward) button in a web browser for years. Right under my thumb. Same goes for page up/page down. It will even switch to the previously used application. Love it. Mac mice do indeed suck pretty badly. Jobs is a genius about some things, and a pin head about others. Mouse design is one of the latter.

dbranham
Forum Regular
Oct 24, 2006, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by Cubester View Post
Wow, the crowd here votes overwhelmingly for Logitech and I fully agree....Also, the drivers, while somewhat limited, enable me to program all seven buttons to my liking.
Because Logitech is the best!

Also, it's even better than 7 buttons--we've got 8, man. Don't forget that your scroll wheel is a button, as well.

andydg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2006, 12:08 AM

Logitech S530. Excellent keyboard except no caps lock indicator as mentioned above. The mouse is great, batteries last a long time. Warranty is good also. The rf transmitter went bad on mine, they sent out a complete new keyboard, mouse, etc. Strange that they couldn't just replace the transmitter as my setup was less than a month old.

TTo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2006, 12:50 AM

Using the MX1000 for bluetooth which comes with Logitech's bluetooth keyboard and mouse bundles (haven't found a driver for the keyboard to work). USB overdrive doesn't work with bluetooth, so using SteerMouse for the mouse driver. asodamiac, I highly recommend this driver. The up/down keys by the scroll wheel aren't recognized, but no usb dongle and a better looking charging stand compared to the regular MX1000.

just a poster
Forum Regular
Oct 25, 2006, 02:52 AM

The logitech MX1000 is my favorite mouse, but it's not bluetooth so I'd have to carry the charger stand to use it with my MacBook. I really wish logitech made more bluetooth mice, it seems lately every mouse manufacturer has abandoned this technology.

The logitech MX900 (bundled with my DiNovo keyboard set) is a great mouse too, but is second to the MX1000 for me because of its smaller size.

The Revolution MX is growing on me. The scroll wheel took some getting used to but now I miss it when I'm using the MX1000 (which I still think has a nicer shape and feel). Mac software for the Revolution is a bit flaky, though. It seems to certain settings until I re-open the logitech control panel.

Chito
Senior User
Oct 25, 2006, 06:36 AM

Call me old school if you will...MS Intelimouse Explorer 1.0! It's on it's third Mac now and still works great. Started it's life with a Yikes G4, moved up to a Quicksilver and currently points for my 2.0 G5. I think I'd like to have an MX 1000 but haven't been able to justify the $$$...sure wish my fiance read this forum or could take a hint!
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

alterbentzion
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2006, 08:46 AM

Logitech Marble Mouse - legacy from my old PC.

I LOVE having four buttons! (Left-hand extra for Dashboard, right-hand extra for Expose.)

David Esrati
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2006, 09:43 AM

I just looked through these- and no mention of my fave-
I use a MacAlly iopti jr.
it's a little wired 2 button plus clickable scroll wheel.
Something about being able to twist it around in my hand- as opposed to holding a big brick. We've got a bunch of Logitech Optical USB 3 buttons in the office- which work fine- but I like the smaller size.
Use it with a G4 12" powerbook- hooked up to a 19" monitor - with an Apple Keyboard.
David Esrati
The Next Wave
937-228-4433

davlab
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2006, 12:44 PM

If you want lots of buttons - I'm using a Logitech MX610 and its great for CAD.

10 buttons, laser, 4way scroll wheel, very comfortable shape, small (dongle size) USB RF transmitter. It's not rechargable, but I use rechargable AAs. No Mac drivers, but works great with SteerMouse driver from SteerMouse TOP

I picked one up on Buy.com for $20. SteerMouse is $20 (15 day trial available).

My only complaints are the scroll wheel click is a bit too stiff and the auto power off function does not work with OS X, but rechargable NiMH batteries last 2-3 weeks with 10 hour per day use.

Its the best mouse I've found. Just wish they made a Bluetooth version.

cakey
Forum Regular
Oct 25, 2006, 01:28 PM

Logitech mx518 on my Linux box (for ut2k4) and an mx1000 on my G4.

MTsett
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2006, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by mikochu View Post
i was gonna buy a MS Laser Mouse 6000 just on mduell's recommendation, but i checked it out and I wasn't very fond of the ergonomics...
I may have forgot to mention that I use the wireless version of MS Laser Mouse 6000.
Absolutely love this mouse.
It fits my hand extremely well and acts almost like an extension of my hand.
And the palm rise (top rise) of this mouse is low.

Well that's one of main issues with all mice.
How the ergonomics of the mouse's shape fits with users' size and shape of hand.
Certainly a valid issue and concern with any computer related user input device.
Especially true of keyboards and mice.
I am very particular of how a computer mouse fits my hand.
This is #1 priority followed by its technology/ functionality/precision.
I tend to buy and try different mice quite a bit.
I've given up on Logitech. I didn't like the feel of their new offerings, either.
Most of Logitech's more functional line have a very high palm rise that I found annoying as my palm and hand are positioned too high up on the mouse and it was harder to use many of the function buttons as the palm rise was too high for the length and shape of my hand.
Made handling the mouse awkward and, in some case, had to reposition my hand to reach a particular function button.
They are, comparatively, much heavier in weight than other competitor's mice, for some reason.
I am not big on Apple's own mice, either.
They are too flat for my hand. They look great, though!
I've used Kensigton mice on and off and liked these a lot for ergonomics. Their mice always felt great in my hand, but there was always something in their functionality that was lacking. And, sometimes, their tracking was not great. Plus, they stick, primarily, to 2 or 3-button mice.
I like multi-button mice much better!

So, maybe it is more accurate to say that the MS 6000 Laser mouse feels great for me as well as having easy 5-button access and control.

I think something like recommending computer equipment, such as mice, is a very subjective and personal issue. You really need to try before you buy.
What works great for some may not work great for others.
I am very happy with my choice, though.
Haven't had the use of a really comfortable mouse in quite sometime.
I was really very happy to finally find one that really felt great to use in my hand.
It was even more unbelievable that it came from MS.

dbranham
Forum Regular
Oct 25, 2006, 11:54 PM

I once had a high school teacher who taught some sort of computer class (can't remember specifically which class) who used her mouse by holding it backward. The buttons would actually be facing her, and when she'd move the mouse toward her, the pointer would rise to the top of the screen--like a pilot pulling back on the stick to make the plane rise. Wierd.

ecking01
Forum Regular
Oct 26, 2006, 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by dbranham View Post
I once had a high school teacher who taught some sort of computer class (can't remember specifically which class) who used her mouse by holding it backward. The buttons would actually be facing her, and when she'd move the mouse toward her, the pointer would rise to the top of the screen--like a pilot pulling back on the stick to make the plane rise. Wierd.
Wow that's wack.

I myself am I poor college student that sunk all his money into a mbp so I'm using this:

I got it at bestbuy for 10 bucks cad(8.89usd)!

I saw a shop that randomly carries the mx900 though and I'm thinking of streching to get it (they price it at 80 bucks) but I'm afriad to get a mouse that logitech no longer seems to support, plus the store is one of the chinese diced up computer shop types.

They also carry the matias osx keyboard which is less than the apple keyboard, I'm thinking of getting it for my old mac mini but once again afraid.

dbranham
Forum Regular
Oct 27, 2006, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by ecking01 View Post
I saw a shop that randomly carries the mx900 though and I'm thinking of streching to get it (they price it at 80 bucks) but I'm afriad to get a mouse that logitech no longer seems to support, plus the store is one of the chinese diced up computer shop types.
Forget that! Go for the Revolution. Tiger Direct's got you covered for the same price!

ecking01
Forum Regular
Oct 28, 2006, 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by dbranham View Post
Forget that! Go for the Revolution. Tiger Direct's got you covered for the same price!
Oops I mean to say Canadian. On the canadian tiger direct site it's priced at 149.99, vs 80cad for the mx900 at that other place I mentioned.

The revolution is sweet though.

Lundh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2006, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by ecking01 View Post
Do not buy the mx900 if you plan to use it with a Mac. There is something strange with it that makes the pointer jump around really strange in OS X. It works perfectly in both Windows and Linux though.

macforray
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 28, 2006, 07:56 PM

Basic (and I'm sure not expensive) Logitech Optical Mouse. My Mac Mini is the third machine I've used it on. Fits my hand and just works.
macforray

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 28, 2006, 08:17 PM

MX Revolution when I'm at home, VX Revolution on the go. I know, why do I spend so much money on mice?
( Last edited by Velocity211; Oct 28, 2006 at 11:29 PM. Reason: correcting grammar)
iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

cbrfanatic
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 28, 2006, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Velocity211 View Post
MX Revolution when I'm at home, VX Revolution on the go. I know, why do I spend so much money on mouses?
Mice, not mouses

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 28, 2006, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by cbrfanatic View Post
Mice, not mouses
oh yeah, sorry, forgot about that.
iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

Forum Links
Forum Rules