Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Macbook Pro Consumption rate

Macbook Pro Consumption rate
Zeeb
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2006, 03:46 PM

Of course everyone knows the new MBP's were released today. I've read a number of threads from people who have the previous generation of MBP but are going to immediately purchase the new model. I guess there are a number of people who continuously upgrade their equipment almost everytime a new model comes out. Lucky dogs.

My question is what is this rate of consumption doing to the environment? A person who buys a new computer every year is generating a lot more waste than someone who upgrades less often it would seem. I know that the older computer would be sold rather than simply thrown away- - but the construction of two machines still puts a strain on resources and will eventually generate more waste--or will it? I'm not judging since I love my gadgets as much as anyone, but thought it might make an interesting discussion.

Here is a link to an article I read today about consumption in general and how it is straining the resouces we have. I don't vouch for its credibility but it's interesting.

Report: Humans stripping away planet's resources - CNN.com

bstone
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2006, 03:51 PM

the MBPs have TB?

Seriously, tho, it seems Mac users keep their machines longer. I used my Pismo from 2000 to 2006 before I got this here beautiful MacBook. Most my PC friends were on their 2nd or third laptop in the same time period.
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Oct 24, 2006, 04:09 PM

I'm still on my 2000 G4. Granted it's been upgraded a lot, but it's lasted me. If I can manage to save up enough I'll buy a new computer next year (or maybe the following) and I expect that to last me a while too.

Very few people cycle through machines that often. I think Mac users in general offload their own computers to others rather than just garbage them..
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2006, 04:10 PM

Recycle your old computers if you don't sell em

zwiebel_
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 24, 2006, 04:46 PM

In CA, we pay a $6 recycle fee when buying from Apple (others too). At the very bottom of the order page is a checkbox if someone wants to have their old computer sent in for recycle. Nifty if your box is not worth much.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Oct 24, 2006, 04:52 PM

Oh definitely. There are still people out there that will pay money for your 80s Macs, as ludicrous as that is.

indigoimac
Senior User
Oct 24, 2006, 05:04 PM

I don't think most people just chuck their computer, they either sell, keep, or donate them. I don't really think buying a new one every year is gonna change much. It's the same premise for soda cans, bottles, etc, most are just recycled and you get the same can again at a later date.
15" MacBook Pro 2.0GHz i7 4GB RAM 6490M 120GB OWC 6G SSD 500GB HD
15" MacBook Pro 2.4GHz C2D 2GB RAM 8600M GT 200GB HD
17" C2D iMac 2.0GHz 2GB RAM x1600 500GB HD

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 24, 2006, 05:06 PM

It hurt a lot to see the new MBPs come out; I've had mine for less than three weeks. But that's life.

I can't imagine being able to afford to buy a NEWER COMPUTER THAN THE NEW ONE I HAVE, so it's just insane to me that people are getting rid of their MBPs for NEW MBPs.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Zeeb  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2006, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
It hurt a lot to see the new MBPs come out; I've had mine for less than three weeks. But that's life.

I can't imagine being able to afford to buy a NEWER COMPUTER THAN THE NEW ONE I HAVE, so it's just insane to me that people are getting rid of their MBPs for NEW MBPs.
Ouch. I guess you've had it longer than the 14 days then--I heard you can exchange it if its within that time. Well, you have a great computer, I have the first model and its fantastic. In fact I spend too much time on it.

I've seen ebay and craigslist flooded with tons of MBP's that people are selling because they are upgrading and I agree, its insane. Maybe it all works out in the end, because the old models might fall into the hands of people who will keep it longer than the original owner.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 24, 2006, 05:27 PM

I do have a great computer. But that didn't keep me from (quite innocently) emailing Apple and asking if I could upgrade... We'll see.

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2006, 09:12 AM

I'm exceedingly fortunate to be a student who is economically very well off (I'm going to a school where one of my parents is on the faculty and therefore I don't pay tuition; I pay $12000/yr as opposed to $42,000+) and so any money I earn (I work as a lab tech) can go to my various hobbies. I say this because I generally upgrade my hardware every 3-4 years.

I bought a G5 the summer before coming to college (this would be back in 04) and I replaced a 2.5yr old 12" Powerbook this past summer with a MBP.

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2006, 09:25 AM

ghporter: Did you get an upgrade?

I mentioned in another thread that Apple is sending a new MacBook Pro to replace my beautiful 1-year old PowerBook.

I'm not trying to be or sound ungrateful, but I love my PowerBook. Something happened to it and it is not fixable according to Apple. They refuse to repair it any longer so the Apple person I was dealing with said that Apple just has to replace it. She's very nice and I appreciate Apple's gesture, but I'm leery of new hardware.

What I want to know is if ghporter got the new PowerBook? I hope so!

In the meantime there's this comment:

I've seen ebay and craigslist flooded with tons of MBP's that people are selling because they are upgrading and I agree, its insane. Maybe it all works out in the end, because the old models might fall into the hands of people who will keep it longer than the original owner.
Why would people do that? Seriously? What differentiated the "older" MBPs from the "newer" MBPs?

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2006, 10:04 AM

I've every three years, and I sell my computer to someone else. I'm guessing it gets scrapped every 5 years or so. Heck, my parents gave their rev a iMac (bondi blue!) to my uncle. It still works fine.

Tenacious Dyl
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2006, 12:05 PM

In the last 5 years, I've gone through 4 macs. And by that, I mean that I always sell the previous one to someone else who will actually use it. Nothing junked yet.

Technology, at least decent technology, can "trickle down" the ranks. Why throw away a computer, when someone, somewhere needs it, either for a small price or free? I think it is ludacris to through away a computer, even if it is older, when there are small businesses, families, kids, etc somewhere, that wouldn't mind having it, and who would use it.

Sure, maybe some people will buy EVERY revision of the MBP, but they aren't chucking the old ones in the trash. They're selling them to people who couldn't / don't want to buy the current MBP, but can afford or need the last one.
yep.

willed
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2006, 12:38 PM

I think America and the West have bigger environmental problems than the numbers of computers we get through, but I guess it is a not unimportant part of the bigger picture... I'm doing my bit, but only because I can't afford a new MBP!! Still using a trust iBook G3 500MHz, and will be for the foreseeable future. It's a shame, I do so much more on this thing than loads of people I know who buy top of the range but don't use the hardware... Life's unfair eh?

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2006, 12:41 PM

Yes, you're right willed.

And I'm afraid that I am one of them. I know for a fact that I could "make do" with something older. Heck, I can "do" what I do with the old beloved Pismo. (A great PowerBook BTW.)

It's the same in society: People who have money are sometimes stupid with it while the people without it manage it much better.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2006, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Cody Dawg View Post
Why would people do that? Seriously? What differentiated the "older" MBPs from the "newer" MBPs?

The new MBPs have a new processor that's supposedly up to 39% faster...so those doing processor-intensive tasks will see a good gain in productivity.

It's the same in society: People who have money are sometimes stupid with it while the people without it manage it much better.

Been to an Indian reservation recently? Way too many of these people can't afford running water but they have big screen TVs and satellite dishes.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 25, 2006, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Gossamer View Post

The new MBPs have a new processor that's supposedly up to 39% faster...so those doing processor-intensive tasks will see a good gain in productivity.
Well, they gotta say SOMETHING to get people to buy, buy, BUY!

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2006, 12:49 PM

No, haven't been to an indian reservation lately, sorry.

They have those big screen televisions and satellite dishes because we stole their land, remember?

If they have a faster processor, up to 39% faster, doesn't that eat up the battery life faster?

awcopus
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2006, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by willed View Post
I think America and the West have bigger environmental problems than the numbers of computers we get through, but I guess it is a not unimportant part of the bigger picture... I'm doing my bit, but only because I can't afford a new MBP!! Still using a trust iBook G3 500MHz, and will be for the foreseeable future. It's a shame, I do so much more on this thing than loads of people I know who buy top of the range but don't use the hardware... Life's unfair eh?
Life is not unfair. Your machine is great for you because you're productive with it. You're getting way more bang for your buck than those "loads of people".

I'm still going strong with my iBook G3 600MHz. Love this little guy. I use it for writing, surfing, watching DVDs on the road. When I upgrade (after Leopard is preinstalled on portables), I'll be moving on up to a white MacBook or a 17" MacBook Pro. Haven't decided yet, but my decision will hinge on my answer to the question: Will I be that much more productive with a 17" portable machine? Hard argument to make if all I do is what I've done. Thing is, I saw this young lady using her 17" MacBook Pro for FCP work on an Amtrak train and it was extremely impressive how productive she was able to be.... before she stopped working and popped in a movie... .
Liberty lover since birth. Mac devotee since 1986.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2006, 03:17 PM

No, haven't been to an indian reservation lately, sorry.

They have those big screen televisions and satellite dishes because we stole their land, remember?
My point was not that they had big screen televisions, my point was that they barely have any money, and they choose to pay for TVs and satellite service INSTEAD OF RUNNING WATER, so your 'poor people manage their money better' doesn't always hold true.

If they have a faster processor, up to 39% faster, doesn't that eat up the battery life faster?
It's a new chip. That's the beauty of new technology. It's better than the old technology.

DakarĀ²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2006, 03:21 PM

Been to an Indian reservation recently? Way too many of these people can't afford running water but they have big screen TVs and satellite dishes.
Originally Posted by W.C. Fields
Give me the luxuries of life and I will willingly do without the necessities.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2006, 03:26 PM

Its the same in a few ghetto's I have been to as well....

No clothes or shoes for the kids, but $30K rims on an old rust bucket.

wolfen
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2006, 01:27 PM

This discussion (along with the poor people having high end equipment) touches upon the possession-as-identity phenomena inherent within human nature. Once upon a time, the guy with the Holy Stick of Fertility or whatever was hot sh*t. Now we have shiny, glowing metal boxes. Same deal. "I don't feel like a poor person while looking at a 50" plasma screen" -- you can laugh but rich people ain't letting go of their AKC dogs, Mercedes, or mansions anytime soon, either.

Prescription: watch Fight Club repeatedly until the mantra rolls off your tongue spontaneously...
Do you want forgiveness or respect?

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2006, 01:47 PM

Most of the rich people I know don't have AKC dogs, Mercedes, or mansions.

Zeeb  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2006, 02:09 PM

I think wolfen touched on an interesting point, defining yourself by your purchases sometimes goes way too far. Though one can argue that what you purchase cannot be completely divorced from the type of person you are.

As for rich people and AKC dogs(what are those anyway?), Mercedes and mansions I find that its actually upper middle class people who seem to want ostentatious things.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2006, 09:24 PM

Dogs with papers

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 26, 2006, 10:02 PM

ghporter: Did you get an upgrade?
No, I didn't. Since my funding agency ordered the computer through a third party (I still don't know why), I will have to get with that third party. And since I didn't pay for it, I'm not very hopeful that they will listen to me-even though they had the order on backorder for over a month.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2006, 10:51 PM

Bummer, ghporter.

This thread has reminded me of the phrase "conspicuous consumption."

I don't "need" the latest MacBook Pro. I "needed" my regular (older) PowerBook. Heck, I still need it. I spent about 3 MONTHS without it working correctly and with it going into Apple repair three times for repair. It was/is a disaster. I lost so much data and screwed up so much work as a result that it was depressing. Tonight I'm up late trying to recoup lost data. Some of it is gone forever. In the meantime the PowerBook is sitting there and looking beautiful but I know darn well that if I try to use it that it will just crash and burn and simply stop working as it has countless times before. It's been a disaster.

Forum Links
Forum Rules