Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Stains: Did Apple Fix for Free?

Stains: Did Apple Fix for Free?
Blasphemy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 1, 2007, 05:15 PM

My 1st-generation white macbook has developed the horrible stains on its palm rests, trackpad button, and various keys. I have read many threads about it, and I believe I have one of the models prone to this - i.e., the surface is porous (whereas later models were purportedly smooth).

If you had the stains problem or know someone who did, did Apple fix it for free?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 1, 2007, 05:29 PM

Yes they should, they had a recall due to staining ( or yellowing).

Blasphemy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 1, 2007, 05:33 PM

Do you recall if it was posted online? I'm going to call them tomorrow and I'd like to have a document or press release to reference. I'll search around their support site again.

Blasphemy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 1, 2007, 07:11 PM

I just found this reference from Apple to phone about discoloration of the white macbook palmrest area: About white MacBooks' palmrest area

MusicManifesto
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 1, 2007, 07:17 PM

I JUST got mine done! Thought I was too late but no, seriously here is what you do!

Put a call into your nearest Apple store, and tell them about your situation. As long as you are under your warrenty(no need for apple care) they will tell you to make an appt with the genius bar. Do so, over the phone if possible. Bring it in, and BAM, mine was done in a hour!!! You can pick it up the same day!!! If you have any other questions about it let me know!

edit: the call is to make sure they have the part so you don't make a drive for nothing.
( Last edited by MusicManifesto; Jan 1, 2007 at 07:32 PM. )

macuser9909
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 1, 2007, 08:28 PM

They replaced mine not too long ago when they did some interior work, but now the discoloration is on my second piece, is it for sure that new ones do not discolor?

frankthetank966
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 1, 2007, 08:33 PM

Yes they fix it for free at Genius bar. Or you could send it in. I recommend Genius bar it only took them 40 minutes to fix it there.

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Jan 1, 2007, 10:08 PM

I had to send mine in (no Apple store near my University), but it was fixed and returned, for free, in less than 4 days. I've had the new wristpad for several months now, and so far no sign of yellowing. Hoorah!

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

Blasphemy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 1, 2007, 10:10 PM

Good news

Voch
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2007, 02:21 PM

I had my stained MacBook fixed same-day at the Lyndhurst, Ohio Apple Store (along with a hard drive replacement , but I had a backup ).

RogueSqdn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 3, 2007, 11:19 PM

Last weekend I finally got around to getting it done. I live near Winston-Salem and drove down the the SouthPark store in Charlotte. I had wrist rest stains, PLUS an inoperative capslock light. Turns out, both problems were fixed by replacing one piece of hardware. When you get the new wrist piece, it's not just that, but the entire keyboad and trackpad as well. So not only do I have clean wrist rests and a works caps light, but I also have a newer, more responsive keyboard!

I dropped my MacBook off at the Genius Bar at 10:30 and picked it up at 2:00... the only reason for a wait that long was a lack of people working that early to do it. I killed time watching a few episodes of 24 on my iPod.
Rogue
-------

MacBook Pro 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo w/2GB DDR2 RAM & Logitech BT MX1000.
"I can feel your anger... it gives you focus, makes you stronger!" -- Emperor Palpatine, Revenge of the Sith

frankthetank966
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 4, 2007, 12:01 AM

Yea it is a pretty good system.
 16 GB 2nd Generation Black iPod Touch w/Contour Showcase
 White Core 2 Duo Macbook with: 2.0 GHz/1 GB Ram/80 GB Hard Drive

Forum Links
Forum Rules