Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Mac OS X Leopard - Spacial view

Mac OS X Leopard - Spacial view
voodoo
Posting Junkie
Nov 5, 2007, 07:04 PM

It has been high on my list for features on OS X, ever since we lost it after OS 9. Spacial view. Where each window is a representation of the contents of a folder and where the Finder remembers the size and position of every window and there can never be two windows displaying the contents of the same folder.

Well.. I was happy to discover that the spacial Finder is back.. with minor quirks. Quirk no 1 is that it has to be set up, but after that it does behave 99% as the Mac OS 9 Finder did.

It is a relief, for me, and a slap in the face of those who have claimed for years that the spacial metaphor is 'dead' and 'Apple doesn't care'.

It's simple enough to set up, here is how I did it:

1. Choose View menu in Finder and select View Options (command-J) and you get a preference menu for Finder windows. Make your view icon view if it isn't already and set your default view options as you wish. Finally press the 'use as default' button at the bottom.

2. Choose Finder menu in Finder and select Preferences (commans-,) and in the 'general' preference pane, select the 'Always open folders in new window'.

3. Open a Finder window and click the 'collapse menu bar'-thingy in the upper right corner.

That's it. Finder is now spacial. 99% anyway. It behaves, more or less.

You can skip step 3 for a spacial Finder with a menu bar, but then spaciality *can* be broken on occation. YMMV.

Thanks Apple!!

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

mjankor
Nov 5, 2007, 07:26 PM

Wasn't there a spatial finder in Tiger? I used it all the time. It wasn't broken when the sidebar was showing and didn't require setting the preferred view on a per folder basis. It just remembered what your settings were for that folder. Leopards is actually a bit backwards from Tiger IMO.

Spatiality is broken when holding down option while opening a new folder with the sidebar visible in your current folder. I suspect it's a bug and will hopefully be fixed soon.

voodoo  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 5, 2007, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by mjankor View Post
Wasn't there a spatial finder in Tiger?
No, you could always open one folder in two windows.

V

mjankor
Nov 5, 2007, 08:14 PM

Ahh of course. My mistake, though I can still open my home folder in two windows.

I never noticed because of my usage.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 6, 2007, 04:56 PM

I missed this thread, so thank you for letting me know about it. I haven't installed Leopard yet, but I'm pleased to know that some are happier with the new compromise between browser and spatial modes. I'd prefer a clean separation of the modes instead, but I guess this is better than before. I'll have to withhold judgment until I play with Leopard. voodoo, have you read Siracusa's comments on the subject in his Leopard review? He was less positive.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Nov 6, 2007, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
I missed this thread, so thank you for letting me know about it. I haven't installed Leopard yet, but I'm pleased to know that some are happier with the new compromise between browser and spatial modes. I'd prefer a clean separation of the modes instead, but I guess this is better than before. I'll have to withhold judgment until I play with Leopard. voodoo, have you read Siracusa's comments on the subject in his Leopard review? He was less positive.
Yeah, I would have prefered a clean separation. Either split the Finder in two as seperate apps (one would be completely spatial and the other would be a browser) or have a distinct preference option in the Finder to switch between spatial-mode and browser-mode.

Of course, this wouldn't be the best option for those that want to easily toggle between the two modes. But is there a lot of in-between people that can't decide whether they want to go completely spatial or completely browser?

voodoo  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 6, 2007, 05:24 PM

Yes, I read his review before I installed Leopard, I am a big fan of his OS reviews and respect Siracusa's opinions on the subject very much. It was a very good review.

However after installing Leopard, I found myself as you say, more positive towards the changes in the Finder than John. I do agree with him that the seperation should be much clearer, as in either two completely seperate applications or at least a clear definition between the two in Finder.

Something like a "spacial view on/off" in Finder preferences.

However, Siracusa gives a basic list in his review of what constitutes a basic spacial Finder:

1. Each folder is represented by a single window.
2. Each window is unambiguously and irrevocably tied to a particular folder.
3. All changes to the spatial state of a window are preserved (e.g. size, position, color, view style, etc.)

The Finder in Leopard can be set, through the way I described, to act almost flawlessly so it fulfills these three requirements.

What I have found is that if one sacrifices the sidebar-view (clicks the button in the upper right corner) and has asked for icon view to be default and that the Finder always opens a new window when opening a folder, then it *seemingly* fulfills these three steps to the letter.

It could be broken by a disk image set for browser view, but excluding that, I can't break spaciality when the Finder is set like that.

Each folder *is* apparently represented by one window, and one window only. Each window is thusly connected to a folder. I don't know how unambigous it is, but it seems pretty clearly connected, because it zooms into that folder when closed if that folder is visible. Finally size, position, view (icon/list) is preserved in the window.

I may be missing something, but it seems like the equivalent of the OS 9 Finder.. 99.99% anyway.

It seems to fulfill the basic requirements of a spacial Finder. The only way I've managed to break it so far is by using a disk image that is preset in another view or calling up a new Finder window repeatedly. Then it will come up with lots of home-folder windows.

However, if one uses the Finder as one would use the OS 9 Finder, it seems solid. YMMV, John didn't like it, but I see it at least as a huge improvement and an acknowledgement to the fact that spacial browsing is damn fine and news of its demise were slightly exaggerated!

V

voodoo  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 6, 2007, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Horsepoo!!! View Post
Yeah, I would have prefered a clean separation. Either split the Finder in two as seperate apps (one would be completely spatial and the other would be a browser) or have a distinct preference option in the Finder to switch between spatial-mode and browser-mode.

Of course, this wouldn't be the best option for those that want to easily toggle between the two modes. But is there a lot of in-between people that can't decide whether they want to go completely spatial or completely browser?
Exactly

The best option would have been a clean seperation, either with a preference or two seperate apps. I have never seen (anecdotal, I know) any person wander between the two methods of browsing. It seems a very either/or preference by the user.

V

Hal Itosis
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 6, 2007, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
The best option would have been a clean seperation, either with a preference or two seperate apps. I have never seen (anecdotal, I know) any person wander between the two methods of browsing. It seems a very either/or preference by the user.

Well, I mostly browse... but there are a few folders I sometimes 'teleport' into
that I prefer to open with no sidebar/toolbar on them. [teleport = alias, dock
or stack, etc.].

So how would this theoretical "separation" affect folks who typically browse?
Would they still be able to click/hide the toolbar/sidebar panes? If so, then
what happens if they double-click a folder in that window. [It opens in the
same toolbar-less/sidebar-less window? Hmm.]

I don't quite get what's bad in the current implementation that spatial fans
object to. Is it just the possibility you *might* open the same folder in two
windows at the same time? Or is there more to it, that would require such
stringent separation?

I like the current OSX hybrid... except for the 'back-arrow bug' in Leopard.
( Last edited by Hal Itosis; Nov 6, 2007 at 07:31 PM. )
-HI-

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 6, 2007, 08:14 PM

We object to it because, fundamentally, the two modes clash and should not be mixed together. The two modes are incompatible, and as a result undesirable conflicts between the modes occur. Siracusa gives additional reasons, although voodoo indicates those conflicts aren't as problematic as that article describes. I also object to the mode mixture because at times I'd like the toolbar and sidebar to be accessible in spatial mode.

voodoo, you specify that icon mode has to be set in order for "spatiality" to function properly. What happens if you try list or column view?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Nov 6, 2007, 09:02 PM

1. Each folder is represented by a single window.
2. Each window is unambiguously and irrevocably tied to a particular folder.
3. All changes to the spatial state of a window are preserved (e.g. size, position, color, view style, etc.)
I don't understand why people are mourning the loss of the spatial Finder. While I used it happily for many years, I find that the spatial metaphor doesn't work very well on large volumes or complicated directory structures. Back in the days when my hard drive was 10 GB that may have been okay, but dealing with a 320 GB drive, or 2 TB servers, I don't want to have to open window after window to drill down the structure. I love the column view for dealing with servers, as it allows me to go deep into the directory structure with a minimum of fuss.
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

voodoo  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 6, 2007, 09:19 PM

voodoo, you specify that icon mode has to be set in order for "spatiality" to function properly. What happens if you try list or column view?
After clicking the upper-right window button (I really don't know what to call it) and the sidebar disappears, column view isn't available any more.

In spacial view only icon, list and cover-flow are available.

There is no problem when switching between views in spacial mode, but by default a new window has the characteristics of its parent.

This means that if you open a folder its window will be in the same view as the parent window, unless previously specified differently. That's why I recommended to set icon view as default, so most windows you open will by default be in icon view.

Example:

I am viewing a folder in icon view and create a new folder. I open that and it will be in icon view.

I am viewing a folder in list view and create a new folder. I open that and it will be in list view.

I am viewing a folder in list view and create a new folder. I open that and change it to icon view. Now the Finder remembers this and will keep it in icon view, even though the parent folder is in list view.

The Finder also remembers the size of the window and position.

However if you manage to open this folder by breaking spaciality, then the illusion is shattered and the view, size and position of the window change to the attributes of the window you came from.

It's really hard to explain clearly... I'll set up some screenshots, ok?

V

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2007, 09:22 PM

I may be a moron here, but why is does the whole spatial finder thing seem like the holy grail from OS 9? It seems so cluttered to have a ton of folder windows open, instead of just using a tree view (like Windows Explorer) or even a single-window view.

What's the advantage?
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

voodoo  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 6, 2007, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Don Pickett View Post
I don't understand why people are mourning the loss of the spatial Finder.
I'm not mourning it's loss as much as rejoiceing its return. The spacial Finder is back with Leopard, Apple really made an effort to bring it back. For the most part, they have. It's just mixed up with the browser-Finder, which makes it kind of strange. Still, it works.

Originally Posted by Don Pickett View Post
While I used it happily for many years, I find that the spatial metaphor doesn't work very well on large volumes or complicated directory structures.
Spacial view is not = as Mac OS 9 Finder. It just happens that the OS 9 Finder was spacial. File-browsing is micro-managing. It doesn't matter what method you prefer to browse files, as soon as one is browsing something larger than a floppy-disc then one isn't going to get far without a decent search-feature. Then browse back or forth one or two levels from there.

It's a preference. I don't think people stop using Spotlight just because they're using column-view in a browser window. Is it *that* good? (rhetorical question)

V

voodoo  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 6, 2007, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
I may be a moron here, but why is does the whole spatial finder thing seem like the holy grail from OS 9? It seems so cluttered to have a ton of folder windows open, instead of just using a tree view (like Windows Explorer) or even a single-window view.

What's the advantage?
I can only answer for myself, but I remember better where things are. I'm a visual person. Also the desktop becomes no less cluttered with windows when 10 windows can display the same folder again and again.

Still, there are bazillion threads on that subject. It's just a preference. One that was taken away from us in 2001 and is finally back in 2007. Like many others, such as labels and spring-loaded folders.

It's just a user-feature that is back. One that was preferred by many people and still is. Steve Jobs didn't like it and said so. But Steve is mercurial.

V

voodoo  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 6, 2007, 10:01 PM

OK, here is how you can break spaciality by using the sidebar:

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/8050/imagen1jt1.jpg

Above: three windows open. Dexter audiobook is the deepest one. Finder remembers size and position.

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/5007/imagen2sz8.jpg

Above: Only the root window of the FW drive open, but this time in browser view.

http://img103.imageshack.us/img103/9563/imagen3gc9.jpg

Above: I choose the Dexter folder from the sidebar. Note that the window size does not change, nor its position. I close this window.

http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/1866/imagen4rs7.jpg

Above: Now when I change back to spacial view, and open the same path as in the first screenshot again, the Finder uses the size and position of the window I closed viewing the contents of the Dexter folder and has forgotten about my previous preference. The root window of the FW drive is directly beneath the Dexter window, as it is the exact same size and has the same position.

This is how you can break spaciality by using the sidebar in Leopard. However, if you never use the sidebar, then spaciality can be maintained.

There may be other ways to break the spaciality, but they are more or less derivatives of this one.

V

Professional Poster
Nov 6, 2007, 10:38 PM

What I don' get about Spacial finder is why you would want every friken folder to open up a new window. You could have tons of Windows on your desktop before you get to the right folder.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 6, 2007, 11:18 PM

However if you manage to open this folder by breaking spaciality, then the illusion is shattered and the view, size and position of the window change to the attributes of the window you came from.
And for those who were wondering, that's one of the major problems with the spatial-browser compromise in Leopard.

mjankor
Nov 7, 2007, 02:22 AM

Personally I think Tiger was closer than Leopard.

In Leopard, unless set on a folder by folder basis, all folders open in the same view, regardless of the state they were in when last used. If you have list view, then all folders not specifically specifed, will open in list view.

I'd happily have two instances of one window open, if I could also keep the sidebar and the last view state of the windows. Leopard's spatial finder is a huge step back for me. It may be more "spatial" but it's a step back in usefulness to me.

The reason the sidebar breaks spatial finder is because of a bug, imo. Holding option while clicking on sidebar items keeps the spatial metaphor. I've filed this bug too. Under Tiger I think it worked as it supposed to and clicking sidebar icons would load the folder in a new window if the "open all folders in new window" preference was toggled.

The sidebar won't break the spatial metaphor if the bug is fixed. You'll be able to have unique windows everywhere, sidebar or not and clicking a new folder from anywhere should open the window tied to that folder. (With the exception of the home folder which can always be duplicated).

Oh yeah, and column view is still available in Spatial finder mode.

voodoo  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 7, 2007, 02:56 AM

In Leopard, unless set on a folder by folder basis, all folders open in the same view, regardless of the state they were in when last used. If you have list view, then all folders not specifically specifed, will open in list view.
Yes, that is rather anti-spacial behaviour. For spaciality to work all folders must open in the same view they were last used in, the window must be the same size and on the same place on the desktop. Leopard isn't perfect in its spaciality.

I'd happily have two instances of one window open, if I could also keep the sidebar and the last view state of the windows.
I'd settle for the Finder automagically remembering the size, position and view of every folder I open. Hope springs eternal. It is better at remembering, than before.

Leopard's spatial finder is a huge step back for me. It may be more "spatial" but it's a step back in usefulness to me.
I'm seeing the Finder remembering windows far better than ever before. Are we doing things differently?

The reason the sidebar breaks spatial finder is because of a bug, imo. Holding option while clicking on sidebar items keeps the spatial metaphor. I've filed this bug too. Under Tiger I think it worked as it supposed to and clicking sidebar icons would load the folder in a new window if the "open all folders in new window" preference was toggled.
That could be, I don't recall.. I hope Apple continues to work towards some sort of coherency in the Finder.

Oh yeah, and column view is still available in Spatial finder mode.
That's true.. when I tested it the column view was greyed out for some reason. Now it works. I never use it so I don't know what happened with that.

Column view and spacial Finder are oil and water. They don't mix. There can be no spaciality with column view. It is simply impossible.

V

mjankor
Nov 7, 2007, 03:19 AM

I'm seeing the Finder remembering windows far better than ever before. Are we doing things differently?

V
Under Tiger I had it set up to remember every window as I last left it, whether the sidebar was showing or not, last view style, last position, etc. It was pretty good.

For those who don't see the benefit of the spatial finder, the main advantage, imo, was that you could set up your favourite folders to always open in your preferred view for the data they contained. To access things in any of the folders you used regularly would be less searching and more muscle memory. Example: my home folder is always set to icon view. I don't have to think about where pictures comes in the alphabet or aim for a small list entry. I just aim at the big icon that's 2 across, 1 down.

Hal Itosis
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 7, 2007, 03:58 AM

Under Tiger I had it set up to remember every window as I last left it, whether the sidebar was showing or not, last view style, last position, etc. It was pretty good.

For those who don't see the benefit of the spatial finder, the main advantage, imo, was that you could set up your favourite folders to always open in your preferred view for the data they contained. To access things in any of the folders you used regularly would be less searching and more muscle memory. Example: my home folder is always set to icon view. I don't have to think about where pictures comes in the alphabet or aim for a small list entry. I just aim at the big icon that's 2 across, 1 down.

Everything you just said there is also available to (and often used by) me...
in brower/toolbar navigation style windows. So how on earth can that be
the "main advantage", when both modes possess that same quality?
-HI-

Hal Itosis
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 7, 2007, 04:07 AM

We object to it because, fundamentally, the two modes clash and should not be mixed together. The two modes are incompatible, and as a result undesirable conflicts between the modes occur.

Well... that's nice and everything, but it just sounds like you're reciting a credo.
Give some concrete example of an intolerable situation. (Other than Siracusa's)

I also object to the mode mixture because at times I'd like the toolbar and sidebar to be accessible in spatial mode.

Huh? Sounded to me there as if you *do* like to mix it up.
Perhaps you meant to say you object to mode separation ?
-HI-

mjankor
Nov 7, 2007, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by Hal Itosis View Post

Everything you just said there is also available to (and often used by) me...
in brower/toolbar navigation style windows. So how on earth can that be
the "main advantage", when both modes possess that same quality?
Hang on a sec. I'm not saying sidebar is one mode, non sidebar is another. I think the sidebar can exist in both modes happily, just like the dock. For me Spatial Finder is toggled with the "open all folders in a new window" checkbox.
Under Tiger both window views worked the same. Folders would always open in the previously set view for that folder irrespective of whether the sidebar was showing or not. Under Leopard, if you hold down option while clicking then it will break depending on whether the sidebar is showing or not.

IMO, Leopard's implementation is bugged. I don't think it should matter whether the sidebar is showing or not. If Apple fix the "option" and "Always open folders in a new window" bug then i'll be very happy.

mjankor
Nov 7, 2007, 05:46 AM

Just to clarify, IMO it's a bug.

If you toggle "open all folders in a new window" then all folders, irrespective of where they're called from should be opened in their own, unique window. Holding down option while opening a folder will close the previous one.

However, if you have the sidebar open, then the option key is reversed and you need to hold it down to open folders in new windows.

The Spatial finder is/should not not determined by whether the sidebar is visible, same as it should not be determined by the path or status bar being visible. It should be determined by the "open in new window" checkbox, same as it was under Tiger.

voodoo  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 7, 2007, 06:52 AM

In my opinion the 10.5 Finder lacks some finesse to become fully spacial. It would be easiest if the two modes of operation would be split forever.

That's neither here nor there at the moment, so we'll just have to continue to file those bug-report to Apple. It seems some have gotten through and features have been quitely added to the Finder.

Now that the interface is more or less consistent, it may be time to make the experience consistent as well.

I don't like the current Forrest Gump approach when one opens a Finder window ('you never know what you gonna get')

V

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Nov 7, 2007, 10:52 AM

I can only answer for myself, but I remember better where things are. I'm a visual person.
That's the first time I've ever seen anyone, including Siracusa, give a reason for a spatial Finder which didn't sound like complaining for the sake of complaining.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 7, 2007, 11:03 AM

For many of us, spatiality was one of the cherished aspects of the old Finder. We liked the way it functioned, and to have something that falls far short of that standard on the successor OS is annoying.

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Nov 7, 2007, 11:23 AM

For many of us, spatiality was one of the cherished aspects of the old Finder. We liked the way it functioned, and to have something that falls far short of that standard on the successor OS is annoying.
My problem with language like "For many of us" is it makes it sound as if people who don't miss the spatial Finder are newcomers or stupid. I've been using Macs since the original 128K model came out, and I don't miss the spatial Finder one bit.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 7, 2007, 11:28 AM

That's why I said, "for many of us," rather than "for most of us," or "for most of us who know what we're talking about" or something similar. Sorry if that was too broad.

OreoCookie
Nov 7, 2007, 11:46 AM

Personally, I like both. Now, I exclusively use the browser-like Finder. The spatial Finder just doesn't work as well when you have too many directories. I for one haven't missed the spatial Finder one bit.
( Last edited by OreoCookie; Nov 7, 2007 at 12:38 PM. )
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2007, 04:19 PM

On a spatial note,

the stacks issue drove me away from keeping stuff in the Dock and saw me return to my OS 7-9 days of keeping the relevant folders on the Desktop. Their static locations, combined with the ease of Expose's 'Show desktop', make them a very nice set of spatial reference points for accessing stuff quickly and reliably.

Forum Links
Forum Rules