Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > bronze lombard g3 400, 100bT port broken?

bronze lombard g3 400, 100bT port broken?
jzaw
Sep 20, 2000, 07:42 AM

im having major problems getting my pbook to file transfer at proper speeds over the ethenet i only get about 13Mbits/s should be closer to 60Mbit/s (ie the full sustained speed of the hd) and believe me ive tried eveything!!!!!!

there is a topic going on in the networking section

but i was wondering if any other lombard powerbook users were experiencing the same problems and if they found any solutions
(that is why i posted this particular topic in the powerbook section)

please post any replies at this topic

many thanks in advance for your info

zaw

------------------

do acts of random kindness and senseless beauty!

[This message has been edited by jzaw (edited 09-20-2000).]

unicron
Sep 20, 2000, 10:31 AM

Yup, I tested my lombard with a compaq pc (both with 10/100 full duplex), using either a crossover cable or straight-through via a 10/100 switch. I could only get 600-700kilobytes/s receiving, and 60kilobytes/s sending on the lombard. I even tried OT Advanced Tuner to no avail. Something is definitely not right.

jzaw  (op)
Sep 22, 2000, 07:31 AM

thanks unicorn

has anyone else got a similar experience with the lombard and ethernet

im still trying to sort out this tricky problem

any info would be gratefully recieved

thanks

[This message has been edited by jzaw (edited 09-22-2000).]

[This message has been edited by jzaw (edited 09-22-2000).]

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2000, 10:59 PM

Well, you're probably not running at full-duplex. If you were, both machines could talk at the same time, thus enabling the machines to send and recieve simultaneously.

jzaw  (op)
Sep 23, 2000, 12:49 AM

thanks for your reply seanyepez

however i have to say that i beleive that i am running at full duplex as both apple porfilers say i am and the switch hub im using also says im running at 100Mbit/s full duplex

and ive also tried this with the apple ethernet duplexer tools (on apple site if youre looking for them)

but the speeds are only 13Mbits/s what ever test or configuration i use

but i urge you to read this topic link

and youll see ive done every test possible

can anyone help pls

[This message has been edited by jzaw (edited 09-23-2000).]

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2000, 02:40 AM

Are you using a sheilded cable? It might be that you're getting packet loss due to some interference. Perhaps it's a bad cable. You'd be losing packets left and right. We might have found our problem...

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2000, 05:49 AM

If it connects at all, it's working. There's nothing in between. Networking hardware doesn't "half" break down.

rambo47
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2000, 10:20 AM

Perhaps this is a limit of a component? What is the max transfer rate for your hard drive? I'm just spitballing here, but something sure is screwy.

jzaw  (op)
Sep 23, 2000, 01:34 PM

something sure is wacky

the sustained speed of the pbook drive is about 8MBytes/s to 10Mbytes/s as bench tested by fwb hdtoolkit so it should be able to give up about 70 - 80Mbits/s not just 13Mbits/s

and if you read the previously metioned topic link youll see that ive even gone as far as installing appleshare ip 3.8.1 with the weird results

g4 to pbook 60 Mbits/s
that confirms the previous assertion of the drive being capable of 70 - 80 ish Mbits/s or there abouts

pbook to g4 0.2 Mbits/s

yeah that is right a really healthy 60Mbits/s one way BUT a lousey zero point two megga bits per sec in transfer speed from the pbook to g4

what gives???

btw this is poseted in the powerbook topic cos im looking for other lombard users who may have had a similar experience im starting to believe that this is particularly a lombard pbook issue rather than just a networking issue

but please follow this link and post your replies at the netwoking topic thanks

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2000, 02:12 PM

I get a transfer rate of about three megabytes per second to my PC from my Pismo.

Hey, well, it might be the hard drive. After all, the hard drivesi are limited to a rate of 33 megabits per second on the Lombard. They're ATA-33. That means you're only going to get about 5 megabytes per second (theoretical) throughput.

That speed is assuming the drive can rotate fast enough. I'd speculate that one normally gets 16-20 megabits per second off a notebook hard drive.

jzaw  (op)
Sep 24, 2000, 05:28 PM

thankyou for your posting

but forgive me if this sounds a little frustrated (ive been hammering at this problem for weeks and have had no joy in resolving it yet) .... but did you take in all the details in my last note ie the internal hd speeds = 8-10Mbytes/s and the fact that i have at least in one condition managed a transfer of 60Mbits/s in one direction but under that condition the other direction only managed 0.2Mbits/s so i thouroughly dont believe that its the hd also ive done a ram disk to ramdisk share and the speeds have been no different

but i have to direct you to the previously mentioned link for a full account of what has been going on with my attempts to fix this problem

once again all for posting on this query and keep the info coming back to me cos its all helpful

[This message has been edited by jzaw (edited 09-24-2000).]

mail2jedt
Oct 4, 2000, 06:24 PM

Hi, all
i'm new hera. i ever had this problem. this are my solutions.
-be sure you have 10/100 Mbit or 100Mbit hub & cable (CAT 5 not CAT 3 for 10 Mbit only)
-other computer you connect to has an ethernet card at this speed too.
-try file sharing through TCP/IP, it helps you go faster.
-if you want full duplex, try download "Duplexer Tools.smi" from Apple. it contains four files, half & full duplex @ 10 & 100 Mbits extensions. so now what speed you want depend on your extension. drop it in System only one file.

i was experienced about "inactive" file sharing through TCP/IP for sometime. i dont know why but after i install System with no customise it works..
can some one identify the extension that correspond with this option for me?
hope it'll help you

------------------
���|Jedt Sitthidumrong|���

unicron
Oct 4, 2000, 10:47 PM

Just an FYI, the compaq POS that I had been testing my Lombard's 10/100 with now shows a "wire fault" on its Netintelligent 10/100 NIC. Doing "ipconfig" shows windoze thinks there's two NIC cards installed, even though there's really one. I hope my ridiculously slow transfer speed was due to this faulty compaq NIC.

jzaw  (op)
Oct 4, 2000, 10:57 PM

both macs show 100Mbit/s full duplex
the cables are good
tcp/ip SLOWS things down to a complete crawl!!!
the duplexer tool makes no difference

ive tried ramdisk to ramdisk
asip does 60Mbit/s oneway but 2Mbit/s the other way

still no joy

jzaw  (op)
Oct 4, 2000, 11:00 PM

Originally posted by mail2jedt:
Hi, all

i was experienced about "inactive" file sharing through TCP/IP for sometime. i dont know why but after i install System with no customise it works..
can some one identify the extension that correspond with this option for me?
hope it'll help you

both macs show 100Mbit/s full duplex
the cables are good
tcp/ip SLOWS things down to a complete crawl!!!
the duplexer tool makes no difference

ive tried ramdisk to ramdisk
asip does 60Mbit/s oneway but 2Mbit/s the other way

still no joy

Heeeellllpppp!!!

btw

you need Shareway IP Personal Bgnd it should come with the personal webshare install with the os install

hope this helps

------------------

[This message has been edited by jzaw (edited 10-04-2000).]

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 8, 2000, 03:06 PM

Originally posted by seanyepez:
If it connects at all, it's working. There's nothing in between. Networking hardware doesn't "half" break down.
Ohhh sean, sean, sean! You need to do more networking! ;-)

Networks "half break" ALL THE TIME!! Signal degredation (due to all manner of things, such as excessively long, low-quality, fraying, broken, squished or coiled wire; damaged connectors; dust inside connectors; fluorescent lamp ballasts and other transformers; large electric motors; and a myriad of other things) causes packet loss, requiring packet retransmission. This not only lowers the throughput between those machines, but the extra transmissions mean more overall traffic on the network, which increases collisions (unless you are using switches everywhere, which is rare). Dying network cards also lose lots of packets.

Interestingly, some network protocols are MUCH more sensitive to network problems than others (read: AppleTalk). In one 4-station network I fixed, TCP/IP worked fine everywhere, but AppleTalk was extremely flaky on one machine (in the Chooser, servers would just appear and disappear at random). Replacing an old cable fixed it.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules