Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > You don't have to erase your HD to partition it.

You don't have to erase your HD to partition it.
Miniryu
Mac Elite
May 6, 2001, 11:28 PM

Or at least this is what I understand from the PPC documentation. Its says "You do not need to reformat your entire hard disk to HFS (regular) to be able to use LinuxPPC." Then it reffers you to the index where it tells you that "Linux cannot read from or write to HFS Extended partitions. However, you can have the
BootX extension/app and kernel files on an HFS Extended partition. BootX, a Mac OS applica-tion,
automatically "knows" how to read/write on HFS Extended volumes."

So does this mean what I am assuming to mean? If it does, what are the disadvantages to doing so, since HFS+ files are not accessible from Linux running from the HFS partition?

"Sing it again, rookie beyach."
My website

RichardET
Dedicated MacNNer
May 8, 2001, 12:14 PM

Once you repartition your drive, you must reformat and thus you lose all.

Originally posted by Miniryu:
Or at least this is what I understand from the PPC documentation. Its says "You do not need to reformat your entire hard disk to HFS (regular) to be able to use LinuxPPC." Then it reffers you to the index where it tells you that "Linux cannot read from or write to HFS Extended partitions. However, you can have the
BootX extension/app and kernel files on an HFS Extended partition. BootX, a Mac OS applica-tion,
automatically "knows" how to read/write on HFS Extended volumes."

So does this mean what I am assuming to mean? If it does, what are the disadvantages to doing so, since HFS+ files are not accessible from Linux running from the HFS partition?

jzaw
May 8, 2001, 02:22 PM

i have a newly partitioned hd with a couple of spare 10GB hfs+ partitions on them

if i make them hfs (not hfs+) does this mean that i can install linux and not bother erasing the whole hd?

------------------

do acts of random kindness and senseless beauty!

do acts of random kindness and senseless beauty!

RichardET
Dedicated MacNNer
May 8, 2001, 04:03 PM

Yes, if you can use unused partitions, there is no problem.

Miniryu  (op)
Mac Elite
May 9, 2001, 01:24 AM

how can I still access files from both OS's but not lose the space that HFS standard will lose?

[This message has been edited by Miniryu (edited 05-09-2001).]

My website

Gregory
Grizzled Veteran
May 9, 2001, 02:20 PM

SoftRAID is very good at letting you take over a drive, delete partitions, create hfs and hfs+ as well as mirror and stripe raid.

Disk space is so cheap and the difference in hfs and hfs+ as far as "losing" disk space? Buy another disk drive why not.

Also, Drive Setup 10.0, while changing partition table(s) will erase all data will allow for deleting or resizing or dividing a partition. And doesn't seem to care who formatted the drive.I hope future versions allow non-destructive changes in the partition map etc.

Gregory

Miniryu  (op)
Mac Elite
May 10, 2001, 10:23 AM

Does anyone know if the Hark Disk Toolkit�PE works? It was included with the LinuxPPC when you purchase the CD set and is supposed to be able to repartition your hard drive without erasing it all. I think this is what I have in mind when I originally posted.

Anyway, I tried to install using BootX last night on a "New World" machine. It wasn't documented very well that this is not possible. So now I'm stuck using yaboot and can't choose which OS to boot into at startup. This sucks.

My website

Forum Links
Forum Rules