Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Initialization failed!

Initialization failed!
betsbillabong
Sep 7, 2003, 08:26 AM

As seen by my firewire post of a day ago, I have been having trouble with my iBook running System 9.2.2. I was able to purchase a firewire drive but the operation running the OS 9 installation CD was painfully slow, in fact too slow to work. Then it refused to boot up on the CD at all. But last night I had a miracle -- the original system booted and I was able to backup all my information quickly and easily to the new firewire drive. Thank god!

Last night I tried to do a "zero all data" initialization with Drive Setup... but when I woke up this morning I found that it had failed. Arrggghhh. It does a normal initialization alright but since it was having so many problems it seems like it should really get wiped.

Any ideas?? I've never done this before.

Thanks,

Betsey

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 7, 2003, 10:51 AM

Zero all data should work. But make sure you set the Energy Saver prefs so the machine doesn't go to sleep. That could cause the initialization to fail. Your iBook probably went to sleep when you did.

Chris

Forum Links
Forum Rules