Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > wireless router questions

wireless router questions
macfantn
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2007, 12:49 PM

i have an old 802.11b router, was thinking of upgrading to a faster one. Should i get one that does 802.11n (i'll be upgrading my mac soon) also is the apple one any better than the dlink or linksys? can someone recommend one. Thanks.
"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later"

SVass
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2007, 01:05 PM

The Airport offers a usb port for a printer and/or a shared hard disk in addition to the n. The airport express offers a stereo connection. Both work well with Mac software. The regular inexpensive g routers should work for most purposes. If you want to use Apple TV or other weird systems in the future, then the 802.11n might be worth considering although, at the price difference, I might consider waiting a year. sam

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 27, 2007, 01:46 PM

Don't finance it.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 27, 2007, 01:56 PM

I find the speed difference with N and G to be worth getting N, especially if you're going to upgrading your Mac in the future.

I transfer a lot of files to an airport disk and over N it's a lot quicker.

macfantn  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2007, 02:24 PM

i was thnking of doing 12 months interest free on the router, seriously though can someone recommend a decent wireless router 802.11n
"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later"

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2007, 02:27 PM

macfantn  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2007, 02:45 PM

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2007, 02:57 PM

I got a D-Link DIR-655 Xtreme N Gigabit Router - it works like a champ! Gigabit for the wired, N for the wireless. I'm comforted in knowing that all of my local networking is as fast as possible for the time being.

(Works with Back To My Mac with a firmware upgrade.)

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Dec 27, 2007, 02:59 PM

Its worth it if you wish to use Apple's simple approach to managing it. Like everything else Apple has put some serious thought into the design and management of the router.

That said, it is only a router and the linksys should be more then adequate. I've owned linksys routers before and I've been pleased with the setup/management of them.

macfantn  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2007, 03:02 PM

what is "Back To My Mac"

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Dec 27, 2007, 03:05 PM

A way for you to remote into your desktop computer from another mac.

macfantn  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2007, 03:06 PM

cool never done that

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Dec 27, 2007, 03:09 PM

I use Remote Desktop software for my job (not just on Macs) and it is pretty cool. No need to be physically present where the server is. I can work at my desk.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 27, 2007, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
I use Remote Desktop software for my job (not just on Macs) and it is pretty cool. No need to be physically present where the server is. I can work at my desk.
I use Remote Desktop when I'm traveling. It's really handy. If I need anything I can just hop on that and get it easily. It's also great for pulling pranks

macfantn  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2008, 01:18 PM

okay so i bought a new macbook will i notice much difference between 802.11b and 802.11g i want to wait for time capsule but won't be able to afford it for a while but circuit city has a cheap netgear 802.11g router for 39 bucks will that be a big increase over my 4 yr old linksys 802.11b

Cold Warrior
Jan 19, 2008, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by macfantn View Post
okay so i bought a new macbook will i notice much difference between 802.11b and 802.11g i want to wait for time capsule but won't be able to afford it for a while but circuit city has a cheap netgear 802.11g router for 39 bucks will that be a big increase over my 4 yr old linksys 802.11b
For just Internet activity, you won't notice. If you do a lot of data exchange on your local network between other computers over wifi, then you will see better speeds with G.

Forum Links
Forum Rules