Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > sbc yahoo software install and netgear setup (2 ?s)

sbc yahoo software install and netgear setup (2 ?s)
EricDD
Apr 17, 2003, 03:50 PM

hi: i ordered dsl from sbc yahoo. i am wondering if it is possible to get set up without using their software install cd. i've heard it puts a lot of stuff on the computer you don't need or want.

related to this, i bought the netgear 814. since this is all an initial set up, i'm wondering about the proper order.

do i have to first get set up with sbc, ie plug the ethernet cable into my computer or can i do the initial set up via the netgear?

thanks for your help. eric

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 17, 2003, 05:12 PM

You DO NOT need the installation CD. It DOES put crap on your computer, crap that you don't need, and probably don't want. Since you have the Netgear box, all you'll need to do is set it up to handle PPPoE (username and password authentication) for you, which is quite easy.

I still haven't had the time to sit down and go through the options they give current SBC users to "migrate" to Yahoo. I'm going to do so, but there is such a thing as too many choices.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

EricDD  (op)
Apr 17, 2003, 06:08 PM

thanks for the help. so this is all pretty easy?

so should my initial set up be while using the netgear box. as opposed to first getting set up with sbc and then going wireless?

thanks, eric
( Last edited by EricDD; Apr 17, 2003 at 06:16 PM. )

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 18, 2003, 10:57 AM

With DSL, particularly SBC's DSL, it doesn't matter what hardware you have connected to the modem. That being said, you should set everything up now, before your DSL is actually active. This will let you identify any problems with your network, and prevent confusion about whether a problem is caused by the network equipment or the DSL. Believe me, it's much easier to identify a bad cable or incorrect wireless setting when you KNOW it can't be your Internet connection causing a problem.

ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2003, 04:22 PM

Yeah you don't need the software, but you'll need it for the initial start up, to set up your account and all.

But after you set it up you could trash all their diagonistic tools and their messenger and what not.

Goodluck.

neon_duke
Apr 23, 2003, 04:25 PM

<removed off-topic reply>
www.gtplanet.net
www.neons.org

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 23, 2003, 05:43 PM

Originally posted by ae86_16v:
Yeah you don't need the software, but you'll need it for the initial start up, to set up your account and all.

But after you set it up you could trash all their diagonistic tools and their messenger and what not.

Goodluck.
When I set up, all I had to do was log into their automated activation site and set user name and password. After that, everything was plug in and go. Have they changed things that much?

EricDD  (op)
Apr 23, 2003, 06:31 PM

hey thanks for all the advice. the setup was extremely easy. I did not need the install disc -and in fact, sbc's manual is very clear on how to set up when using mac os x . on about page three it says, if you are using mac os x please skip to page 35! so no problems. basically, it sends you to their site to register your screen name etc.

and the netgear was also extremely to configure and get up and running.

again, thanks for the help. eric

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 23, 2003, 09:41 PM

Congrats! Happy surfing!

Now that you have your SBC DSL up and running, you shouldn't have any problems with it-they usually only run into hitches in getting customers set up. I've had, in over 2 years of service with SBC, only a couple of support issues that weren't their system's problem to begin with. Those issues that were indeed mine were very easily solved through their tech support.

Forum Links
Forum Rules