Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > iTunes4 Music Sharing=BEST THING EVER

iTunes4 Music Sharing=BEST THING EVER (Page 4)
DesignerTerp
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 30, 2003, 02:40 PM

Originally posted by Demonhood:
found someone on the local network today that has 67GB of MP3s. that's...pretty sick. but hey, more streaming for me.
67?!!?!?! Jeebus!! I have almost 9 and I think that's a lot, but 67!?! WOW! I am jealous..how many songs is that?
They must have a pretty big..uh..hard drive!

benb
Apr 30, 2003, 02:43 PM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
Ok what if you want to access another computer through the internet through a router? I opended the port but how do I get to that one IP 192.168.0.2 when my router has another address?
You need to forward the port 192.168.0.2, or tell the router that all incoming requests on port 3687 (can't remember the iTunes port # right now) be forwarded to your IP.

lemondrop
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 30, 2003, 02:55 PM

Ok what if you want to access another computer through the internet through a router? I opended the port but how do I get to that one IP 192.168.0.2 when my router has another address?
I sent a private message to one of you alter ego's describing how to do this. Do you still have a Linksys? Was that you?

Might have been Wookie.

[Edit: Ooops, Nevermind. Loks like you have a Netgear and needed something else.]

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2003, 03:00 PM

Originally posted by lemondrop:
I sent a private message to one of you alter ego's describing how to do this. Do you still have a Linksys? Was that you?

Might have been Wookie.

[Edit: Ooops, Nevermind. Loks like you have a Netgear and needed something else.]
Oh thanks man, I will have a look. Actually I have a Netgear MR 814 now.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

palmberg
Senior User
Apr 30, 2003, 03:01 PM

Originally posted by Demonhood:
found someone on the local network today that has 67GB of MP3s. that's...pretty sick. but hey, more streaming for me.
Damn. I wish I could find someone else using this on my local network, but I'm not sure how that would work using DHCP with my cable modem provider. If my next door neighbor were using this service and logged on, would iTunes autosense their library?

Mithras
Professional Poster
Apr 30, 2003, 03:06 PM

Just wanted to say that if anyone wants to make something like my sig, you can:
* grab the text to my script here
* grab the background image here:

You'll need Marc Liyange's PHP package, which has the image functions compiled in.

fetopher
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 30, 2003, 03:10 PM

Just enter your router's IP address. To check it get into your router (192.168.1.1 or 0) and then click on status. It should say WAN IP. As long as you have the right port forwarded to your computer, requestiing that IP address should go to your computer.
Me
Dual 2.6GHz Intel Xeon | 23" Apple Cinema Display | 13" MacBook | 15" AluBook 1.67 GHz | 1.42 GHz Mac mini | 50" NEC Plasma | Tiger | 80GB iPod Video | 60GB iPod photo | 4GB iPod mini | 1GB iPod shuffle | 4GB iPod nano

palmberg
Senior User
Apr 30, 2003, 03:38 PM

So, no one can access the iTunes Music Store-bought (AAC) tunes in my library unless I authorize them, right? But, can I, for example, only share my "Purchased Music" playlist and then authorize, say, fetopher to listen to it, if I wanted? Then deauthorize him later? I guess this way I wouldn't have to password protect my library, since only the authorized machines would be able to get it. Yes?

Worst. Episode. Ever.
Senior User
Apr 30, 2003, 03:43 PM

I don't think you can share your Purchased Music playlist. However, if you move tracks from the Purchased Music playlist to another playlist, you can share them... I THINK. I'm not completely sure about this as I don't have any Purchased Music to test this with.

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2003, 03:53 PM

Originally posted by palmberg:
So, no one can access the iTunes Music Store-bought (AAC) tunes in my library unless I authorize them, right? But, can I, for example, only share my "Purchased Music" playlist and then authorize, say, fetopher to listen to it, if I wanted? Then deauthorize him later? I guess this way I wouldn't have to password protect my library, since only the authorized machines would be able to get it. Yes?
It might be easier (read: possible) to filter ip's for that port on your firewall. My router will let me do this, I don't know if the built in one will.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2003, 03:54 PM

Originally posted by Worst. Episode. Ever.:
I don't think you can share your Purchased Music playlist. However, if you move tracks from the Purchased Music playlist to another playlist, you can share them... I THINK. I'm not completely sure about this as I don't have any Purchased Music to test this with.
I don't think this has anything to do with the Purchased Music playlist. The issue is the protected AAC files that you download from the iTunes Music Store. Simply put, you can't play those files (directly or streaming) unless the computer doing the playing is authorized to play them. Of course, in order to do that you have to provide your Apple ID/Password. So it's probably not a good idea to give this info out to people since they would be able to purchase music against your credit card with it!

As the reminder message in iTunes says, the Sharing feature is meant for personal use only.

OAW

fetopher
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 30, 2003, 04:36 PM

Originally posted by OAW:
I don't think this has anything to do with the Purchased Music playlist. The issue is the protected AAC files that you download from the iTunes Music Store. Simply put, you can't play those files (directly or streaming) unless the computer doing the playing is authorized to play them. Of course, in order to do that you have to provide your Apple ID/Password. So it's probably not a good idea to give this info out to people since they would be able to purchase music against your credit card with it!

As the reminder message in iTunes says, the Sharing feature is meant for personal use only.

OAW
Ah yes, but is there any way to get rid of the protection. I thought I had heard that if you burn it onto an Audio CD you could rip it off on another computer and it wouldnt be protected. This has nothing to do with this thread. I was just curious.
Thanks
Me
Dual 2.6GHz Intel Xeon | 23" Apple Cinema Display | 13" MacBook | 15" AluBook 1.67 GHz | 1.42 GHz Mac mini | 50" NEC Plasma | Tiger | 80GB iPod Video | 60GB iPod photo | 4GB iPod mini | 1GB iPod shuffle | 4GB iPod nano

Biggysteve
Forum Regular
Apr 30, 2003, 05:30 PM

If anyone wants, my collection is available here:

daap://ip68-6-172-64.sd.sd.cox.net/

SOLIDAge  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2003, 05:55 PM

can anyone answer me as to why i can't view other people on my school's LAN?

when my PB is open i can see my iMac's iTunes but thats obviously because i'm sharing internet via the iMac, but why can't my imac see others on my LAN? like people in other dorms, or even my office computer which is across campus...

SOLIDAge  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2003, 05:59 PM

Originally posted by Biggysteve:

thanks steve!
my Jazz guitar teacher told me i need to listen to more Wes Montgomery now i can :-D

lemondrop
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 30, 2003, 06:17 PM

Originally posted by Biggysteve:

2 Live Crew

[Edit: damn no rebuffering ]

Oneota
Professional Poster
Apr 30, 2003, 06:21 PM

Here's mine (mostly Classical...well, Romantic/20th Century, to be exact):

daap://216.114.253.76/resolve?database-spec='dmap.persistentid:0x3a82ed846f94f75b'&playli st-spec='dmap.persistentid:0x62b9652fe1ea321'

I reserve the right to put my machine to sleep and/or quit iTunes at any time, though.
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

Oneota
Professional Poster
Apr 30, 2003, 06:27 PM

Originally posted by gwehr:
Yes, that could be it!
Coralville?!? Cool; I'm applying for a job with McGraw-Hill's Breakthrough to Literacy program that's run out of there! Small world!
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

lemondrop
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 30, 2003, 06:40 PM

Just a note..

Some folk have been connected to me for some time but they aren't listening to anything. I have had 5 people connected for the last few few hours, but no data has gone out. So if people could keep in mind to right click on a playlist to disconnect so others can connect. That would be cool.. Since the Max is 5..

Mithras
Professional Poster
Apr 30, 2003, 06:58 PM

I wrote a slightly nicer script you can use on the command line to see who's connecting to your share.

You can download it directly (just do chmod a+x and put in your ~/bin folder), or look at the text.

Sample output:
Code:
[[email protected]: bin] itunesshare 5 users browsing, 1 listening. --- Browsers --- 216.160.108.7 162.83.202.217 213.22.110.92 80.1.25.24 192.124.98.243 --- Listeners --- 213.22.110.92 --- Files --- /Volumes/Music/mp3s//Ben Harper/Live From Mars/01 Waiting On An Angel.mp3
Hope that's useful!

SwarmyCurve
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 30, 2003, 07:29 PM

Please, please, please, someone help me make this work.

I am using a NetGear 114 router with my cable modem.

In System Preferences, I have Personal Web and File Sharing on.
In the web interface to my router, I added 3 ports for forwarding - 3689 for iTunes, 80 for Personal Web, and 548 for Personal File and they all point to my computers ip (192.168.0.2).
I do not use the firewall, but I added the iTunes port just in case.
Of course, in iTunes 4, sharing is on for my entire library.

If it ever works, try alexander.servemp3.com .
( Last edited by SwarmyCurve; Apr 30, 2003 at 07:36 PM. )

starman
Clinically Insane
Apr 30, 2003, 07:34 PM

Originally posted by SwarmyCurve:
Please please please someone help me make this work.

I am using a NetGear 114 router with my cable modem.

In System Prefs, I have Personal Web and File Sharing on.
In the web interface to my router, I added 3 ports for forwarding - 3689 for iTunes, 80 for Personal Web, and 548 for Personal File and they all point to my computers ip (192.168.0.2).
I do not use the firewall, but I added the iTunes port just in case.

If it ever works, try alexander.servemp3.com .
Did you turn on Sharing in iTunes itself?

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

SwarmyCurve
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 30, 2003, 07:35 PM

Yes. Everything is shared.

starman
Clinically Insane
Apr 30, 2003, 07:43 PM

All I can say is that the same thing happened to me yesterday. Everything was set, nothing was working, and then all of a sudden it started working. Very odd. Your setup LOOKS right. I can't think of anything else it could be. You don't need file sharing or personal web to be on.

Mike

SwarmyCurve
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 30, 2003, 07:50 PM

Urgh, I am ready to throw in the towel.

Do I need to change the Multicast setting under TCP/IP & LAN from off to one of the other choices?

One wierd thing I noticed - when I right click my library and choose copy sharing url, I get a local address (daap://AlexPowerBook.local./resolve?database-spec='dmap.persistentid:0xf8261532b821ec67'&playli st-spec='dmap.persistentid:0x7a6c2ce6233f3fba'). Its for rendezvous I thing.
That is strange isn't it?

Mithras
Professional Poster
Apr 30, 2003, 07:58 PM

Are you sure you're using the correct IP address for your dynamic DNS?

When I resolve alexander.servemp3.com, I get:
Code:
[mithras@jukebox ] nslookup alexander.servemp3.com Name: alexander.servemp3.com Address: 208.59.249.9
When I then check 208.59.249.9, I get:
Code:
[mithras@jukebox ] nslookup alexander.servemp3.com Name: cache-2.atw.pa.webcache.rcn.net Address: 208.59.249.9
which looks more like a caching server than your own IP address.

What's your IP address as reported by http://www.whatismyip.com ? Do you have a DynDNS client installed?

SwarmyCurve
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 30, 2003, 10:37 PM

I am not sure if the alexander.servemp3.com will work, it was just an idea to use instead of some ip number. The ip it is using right now is what whatismyip stated.

As for Dynamic DNS, it is automatic I think...

I Bent My Wookiee
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2003, 11:55 PM

Do you need personal file sharing and web sharing on just to share your iTunes?

"Barwaraaawww"

schep
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 30, 2003, 11:56 PM

check out ServerStore

voodoosand
May 1, 2003, 01:19 AM

Try this one:
daap://12-241-222-70.client.attbi.com/resolve?database-spec='dmap.persistentid:0x4d98d66c68836a8d'&playli st-spec='dmap.persistentid:0xd653c4ca6029bfc'
I'm not always on, but I think there should be something in there for nearly everyone.
I am almost always on 6 - 10 PM Pacific time.
This could be the greatest thing ever.

EricDD
May 1, 2003, 02:46 AM

hi: i can access others itunes but have not been able to get mine to work. and thanks to all - listened to some cool music. via this thread!

so far i have:
-turned on sharing in itunes
-added port 3689 in sys prefs file sharing
-i have a dynamic ip so i went to dyndns.org and set that up
-i have a netgear 814 so i configured that to forward the port. this was a little confusing to me but i think i did it right. if anybody has the 814 or if it's the same for all this is what i did - there was pre-existing services to choose from but none seemed right - ie games. ftp, etc so i added a custom service, put port 3689 as my start and end ports and then for server ip i put 192.168.0.2. so that's telling it to forward the itunes port to the router port? then where does my dynamic, or the dyndys i set up figure into this.

does this seem correct? a couple friends could not access and when i tried to connect to myself it does not work. thanks for the help. eric

SwarmyCurve
Grizzled Veteran
May 1, 2003, 06:35 AM

Originally posted by EricDD:
hi: i can access others itunes but have not been able to get mine to work. and thanks to all - listened to some cool music. via this thread!

so far i have:
-turned on sharing in itunes
-added port 3689 in sys prefs file sharing
-i have a dynamic ip so i went to dyndns.org and set that up
-i have a netgear 814 so i configured that to forward the port. this was a little confusing to me but i think i did it right. if anybody has the 814 or if it's the same for all this is what i did - there was pre-existing services to choose from but none seemed right - ie games. ftp, etc so i added a custom service, put port 3689 as my start and end ports and then for server ip i put 192.168.0.2. so that's telling it to forward the itunes port to the router port? then where does my dynamic, or the dyndys i set up figure into this.

does this seem correct? a couple friends could not access and when i tried to connect to myself it does not work. thanks for the help. eric
I am in a similar situation. If I figure it all out, I will let you know.

SwarmyCurve
Grizzled Veteran
May 1, 2003, 06:59 AM

Ok, on a spymac forum, it said that the trick is for a router to use the web interface to add the iTunes port 3689 and use the ip from whatismyip.com as the server ip address.

Maybe, then, this will work for me.

Try daap://208.59.249.9:3689 or maybe daap://alexander.servemp3.com:3689

If not, I am stumped.

schep
Mac Enthusiast
May 1, 2003, 07:36 AM

Try daap://208.59.249.9:3689 or maybe daap://alexander.servemp3.com:3689
Didn't work for me

cacarr1
Mac Enthusiast
May 1, 2003, 08:33 AM

Here's mine:
daap://12-217-84-5.client.mchsi.com/resolve?database-spec='dmap.persistentid:0xa8a1760da822a2e7'&playli st-spec='dmap.persistentid:0x62401d5247ca74ba'

approx 2500 songs for your listening pleasure...
Uva uvam vivendo varia fit - Augustus McCrae

palmberg
Senior User
May 1, 2003, 09:51 AM

Originally posted by I Bent My Wookiee:
Do you need personal file sharing and web sharing on just to share your iTunes?

I don't think you have to have Web sharing on. I have personal file sharing on, and as far as I know, people have been connecting to my library. At least that's what iTunes says....

SomeToast
Senior User
May 1, 2003, 01:59 PM

I'm sure this will get passworded in short order, since the bandwidth drain will horck up the SHOUTcast server (the music library alone is 18.2 meg) but I wanted to give it a try from the office anyway.

daap://radio.toastdesign.com/

EricDD
May 1, 2003, 02:56 PM

hi: could somebody give this a try. i think there's still something not set right with the netgear 814...

daap://ericc.is-a-geek.org/resolve?database-spec='dmap.persistentid:0xfeafdca2c0ac09f4'&playli st-spec='dmap.persistentid:0xfac132153d78167f'

or daap://ericc.is-a-geek.org

thanks

SomeToast
Senior User
May 1, 2003, 03:02 PM

Originally posted by Mithras:
I wrote a slightly nicer script you can use on the command line to see who's connecting to your share.
Very, very cool!

Now, I can just see this script bundled together with a slick, Konfabulatored front end...

A neat side-effect is, at this stage of the game, anyone you find connected to you is likely to be sharing through iTunes themselves!

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
May 1, 2003, 04:57 PM

Originally posted by Mithras:
Awesome! Apparently someone who's currently connected isn't too far from here. Who's 66.191.144.13 on Charter Cable?

gwehr
Mac Enthusiast
May 1, 2003, 09:08 PM

Originally posted by Oneota:
Coralville?!? Cool; I'm applying for a job with McGraw-Hill's Breakthrough to Literacy program that's run out of there! Small world!
That's cool. The Iowa City/Coralville area's a nice place. A cool college town (but still cool for those of us who are a bit older than college age too...).

SomeToast
Senior User
May 1, 2003, 10:05 PM

Originally posted by gwehr:
The Iowa City/Coralville area's a nice place.
Say "hi" to Roger at the Handi-Dong for me.

mrchin
Grizzled Veteran
May 2, 2003, 08:54 AM

Originally posted by n~s:
Both, forward the router port to your airport's IP. Then use Airport config to forward the port to your mac's IP.

WAN Traffic -> Router -> Airport -> Mac
(Outside) -> Router IP -> Airport IP -> Mac IP

Also make sure your OS X firewall isn't blocking the iTunes port.
That may be a little to much forwarding. Only your router should be distrbuting IP addresses. So, the airport is just a pass through. You should give your system a static private address, ie 10..... or 192..., and then just route the port to that system from the router.
Dual 2.0 G5/2.5GB/ATI 9800 Pro | MacBook Pro 2.16 Gore Duo/2GB/ATI X1600

starman
Clinically Insane
May 2, 2003, 10:50 AM

Is there a way to limit the number of people that are connected?

Mike

SwarmyCurve
Grizzled Veteran
May 3, 2003, 01:51 PM

Is it possible to connect to yourself to see if it is working?

I'm still fiddling around with my netgear router and need to know when it actually works.

3R1C
Mac Enthusiast
May 3, 2003, 02:16 PM

Is it possible to connect to yourself to see if it is working?

I'm still fiddling around with my netgear router and need to know when it actually works.
For some yes, others no. I cant connect to myself, yet others can connect to me.
( Last edited by 3R1C; Nov 11, 2003 at 12:07 AM. )
3R1C

SwarmyCurve
Grizzled Veteran
May 3, 2003, 02:24 PM

For a while, I still had on iCommune 2a's sharing. Maybe that prevented me from sharing with iTunes?
In the web interface to your router where you entered the iTunes port, what ip do you use for "sever ip address?" Should it be the 192.169.0.2 or your ip from whatismyip.com?

EricDD
May 3, 2003, 02:33 PM

"In the web interface to your router where you entered the iTunes port, what ip do you use for "sever ip address?" Should it be the 192.169.0.2 or your ip from whatismyip.com?"

hi: i also have a netgear and seem to have gotten this to work. I used the ip address from the router - the number that appears in network under system prefs for ip address, not the ip address from whatismyisp etc. that way it forwards the requests for itunes to the router and then to the computer.

or at least that's my very basic understanding of this.

hope this helps.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2003, 06:10 PM

I've got Roadrunner, so I'm curious to see if this works without the timeouts.

daap://cs2417532-185.austin.rr.com/resolve?database-spec='dmap.persistentid:0xdc359efa5ad7207a'&playli st-spec='dmap.persistentid:0xf7d8cc45d99893d9'

Or maybe just daap://24.175.32.185 will work.

Think I've got it all set.

267 songs.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Silky Voice of The Gorn
Mac Elite
May 3, 2003, 07:07 PM

There's now an app floating around called "iTunesdl" that lets you connect to someones shared iTunes and dowload the songs. Bit for bit; no reripping. Encrypted m4p's won't work of course. In conjunction wiht ServerStore it's a pretty easy way to leech massive tracks from folks.

Forum Links
Forum Rules