Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > A Jaguar ate my E-mail or was it Netscape 7.1?

A Jaguar ate my E-mail or was it Netscape 7.1?
chuckles
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2003, 07:13 PM

When I enthusiastically migrated from os9.2.2 with Netscape 7.01 to osX Jaguar with Netscape 7.1, I lost 6 months of E-mail.

So far the only insightful info I have found (I am waiting for Netscape to respond) is the missing mail is everything from the install date 9/19/03 back to 3/19/03 (curiously the date of the Welcome to Netscape notice e-mail was dated 3/19/03).

Six months of missing e-mail is reason to let everyone know that either Jaguar has serious problems followings threads (I read some stuff about issues related to multiple copies of software and the joys of unix "permissions" poop. (just one theory)

or 7.1 Netscape migration is seriously flawed.

Now I am out 6 months of irreplacable e-mail and am awaiting a response from the damage control people at Netscape.

Wish it was simply a dingo...

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 21, 2003, 07:37 PM

Originally posted by chuckles:

When I enthusiastically migrated from os9.2.2 with Netscape 7.01 to osX Jaguar with Netscape 7.1, I lost 6 months of E-mail.

So far the only insightful info I have found (I am waiting for Netscape to respond) is the missing mail is everything from the install date 9/19/03 back to 3/19/03 (curiously the date of the Welcome to Netscape notice e-mail was dated 3/19/03).

Six months of missing e-mail is reason to let everyone know that either Jaguar has serious problems followings threads (I read some stuff about issues related to multiple copies of software and the joys of unix "permissions" poop. (just one theory)

or 7.1 Netscape migration is seriously flawed.

Now I am out 6 months of irreplacable e-mail and am awaiting a response from the damage control people at Netscape.

Wish it was simply a dingo...

Netscape stores its preferences and mail databases in a different location within OS X then it does within OS 9.

Clearly, you have been POPing your mail (as opposed to IMAP), right? If you are able to boot back into OS 9 and see your mail there, then migrating your mail to OS X should be a simple case of importing the files that are read through OS 9.

chuckles  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2003, 09:43 PM

Hi Besson3c,
Thanks for helping.

Indeed my e-mails are accessable from Netscape 7.01 in os9.2.2 on reboot. The problem is when 7.1 in osX "migrated" everything, it only migrated e-mail before the date of the Welcome To Netscape e-mail and that's not right. Although not destroyed (a clear relief) it ignored 6 months of e-mail when it migrated my files after the install. Now I have to check everyone in my house hold whom I migrated with initial enthusiasm. In fact, it migrated those files perhaps that were of an older version of Netscape that I have on the same disk. Therefore we may be back to the file structure of osX and "permissions" again. Multiple copies of programs confuse osX. In this case it migrated files from an older version of Netscape rather than the one I was using for the last six months.

Hypothetically.

After I hear from Netscape, I hope I do not have to forward 6 months of e-mail or boot classic every time I need to refer back to them.

Perhaps they are aware of why this happened and how I can import them easily. The "import" menu only imports from Netscape 4.x not 7.01.

Otherwise, I am using the Disk Utility regularly to fix "permissons" in Jaguar...

It would seem a prudent Jaguarian habit...until a Panther takes over the territory...

thx agn

p.s.
Does IMAP have advantages over Poping?

Originally posted by besson3c:
Netscape stores its preferences and mail databases in a different location within OS X then it does within OS 9.

Clearly, you have been POPing your mail (as opposed to IMAP), right? If you are able to boot back into OS 9 and see your mail there, then migrating your mail to OS X should be a simple case of importing the files that are read through OS 9.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 21, 2003, 09:54 PM

Hi Besson3c,
Thanks for helping.

Indeed my e-mails are accessable from Netscape 7.01 in os9.2.2 on reboot. The problem is when 7.1 in osX "migrated" everything, it only migrated e-mail before the date of the Welcome To Netscape e-mail and that's not right. Although not destroyed (a clear relief) it ignored 6 months of e-mail when it migrated my files after the install. Now I have to check everyone in my house hold whom I migrated with initial enthusiasm. In fact, it migrated those files perhaps that were of an older version of Netscape that I have on the same disk. Therefore we may be back to the file structure of osX and "permissions" again. Multiple copies of programs confuse osX. In this case it migrated files from an older version of Netscape rather than the one I was using for the last six months.

Hypothetically.

After I hear from Netscape, I hope I do not have to forward 6 months of e-mail or boot classic every time I need to refer back to them.

Perhaps they are aware of why this happened and how I can import them easily. The "import" menu only imports from Netscape 4.x not 7.01.

Otherwise, I am using the Disk Utility regularly to fix "permissons" in Jaguar...

It would seem a prudent Jaguarian habit...until a Panther takes over the territory...

thx agn

p.s.
Does IMAP have advantages over Poping?

Hmmm... you might want to try importing your Netscape mail with the OS X mail program (which should already be in your dock). I have never been impressed with Netscape 7 and later, and the OS X mail program is very nice.

You shouldn't have to fix disk permissions regularly. There is a certain amount of computer voodoo that we tend to revert to as a "last ditch effort" sort of thing. In OS 9, it was things like zapping the PRAM and rebuilding the desktop. In OS X it is fixing permissions. Fixing permissions is something worth trying when programs don't launch at all, or the system behaves strangely. Running it randomly or at a regular frequency is not going to do any good. It will not make Netscape behave better.

the IMAP protocol allows you to store all of your email on a mail server, making moving around from computer to computer and using webmail services trivial. The POP protocol downloads all of your mail to your email client. In the event of an emergency or mail client migration, you are stuck.

Some mail servers may not support the IMAP protocol, or vice versa.

chuckles  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2003, 11:30 PM

At this very moment I am importing all my old mail from every source I can find to the osX Mail program. Very smooth! thx!

I will not use the Disk Utility unnessessarily or perhaps it i sbetter to say without good reason and as a last resort...for the right reasons.

I think my ISP uses POP so IMAP-ing may be a non-choice but now I am both informed and intreged.

So far the Jaguar Mail program has yet to export my missing months of e-mail, although they are accessable in os9.2.2 in Netscape...

only those up to 3/19/03 and after the install on 9/19/03...

Mysteries of mysteries...

I'll keep fiddling...

Originally posted by besson3c:
Hmmm... you might want to try importing your Netscape mail with the OS X mail program (which should already be in your dock). I have never been impressed with Netscape 7 and later, and the OS X mail program is very nice.

You shouldn't have to fix disk permissions regularly. There is a certain amount of computer voodoo that we tend to revert to as a "last ditch effort" sort of thing. In OS 9, it was things like zapping the PRAM and rebuilding the desktop. In OS X it is fixing permissions. Fixing permissions is something worth trying when programs don't launch at all, or the system behaves strangely. Running it randomly or at a regular frequency is not going to do any good. It will not make Netscape behave better.

the IMAP protocol allows you to store all of your email on a mail server, making moving around from computer to computer and using webmail services trivial. The POP protocol downloads all of your mail to your email client. In the event of an emergency or mail client migration, you are stuck.

Some mail servers may not support the IMAP protocol, or vice versa.

chuckles  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2003, 10:14 AM

A couple of updates:

The last version I was using was Netscape 7.02 with os 9.2.2.

Also, it is now apparent that osX Netscape 7.1 is only looking in the following directory for mail to import:

/preferences/Netscape/users/"user name here"/

The last version of Netscape (7.02) stores them in this directory:

/Documents/Mozilla/profiles/"user name here"/

Apparently there is no way to choose the directory to import from so I keep getting an old e-mail import.

Any ideas...?

The Jaguar Mail program had no problem importing anything form anywhere.

At this very moment I am importing all my old mail from every source I can find to the osX Mail program. Very smooth! thx!

I will not use the Disk Utility unnessessarily or perhaps it i sbetter to say without good reason and as a last resort...for the right reasons.

I think my ISP uses POP so IMAP-ing may be a non-choice but now I am both informed and intreged.

So far the Jaguar Mail program has yet to export my missing months of e-mail, although they are accessable in os9.2.2 in Netscape...

only those up to 3/19/03 and after the install on 9/19/03...

Mysteries of mysteries...

I'll keep fiddling...

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2003, 11:02 AM

A couple of updates:

The last version I was using was Netscape 7.02 with os 9.2.2.

Also, it is now apparent that osX Netscape 7.1 is only looking in the following directory for mail to import:

/preferences/Netscape/users/"user name here"/

The last version of Netscape (7.02) stores them in this directory:

/Documents/Mozilla/profiles/"user name here"/

Apparently there is no way to choose the directory to import from so I keep getting an old e-mail import.

Any ideas...?

The Jaguar Mail program had no problem importing anything form anywhere.
Netscape will be looking for yoru mail within your home directory. Something like the following:

/Users/yourusername/Library/Preferences

or:

~/Library/Preferences

I honestly would give up on Netscape. It kind of sucks.

Forum Links
Forum Rules