Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Black Aqua Theme?

Black Aqua Theme?
Stevos
Dec 27, 2003, 04:55 PM

Has anyone made a theme that looks like the black buttons on Apple's DVD Player?
I think it would have been impossible before ShapeShifter, but now it would be doable, no?

Go Go Swiz =] (since you made Studio Pro etc) =]
swont

Sage
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2003, 05:09 PM

Originally posted by Stevos:
Has anyone made a theme that looks like the black buttons on Apple's DVD Player?
Wholly crap, I can't believe no one's thought of that before! That would most definitely be a cool theme.

rhythmicmoose
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 27, 2003, 05:12 PM

At first I had no idea what you were talking about.

Then I looked. Awesome idea!

WICKEDfour
Forum Regular
Dec 27, 2003, 05:20 PM

OOOOH. That'd be awesome...[considers idea after finishing Digital Device]...

Themer | Metroid 2002 Supporter | Switchboard Operator | A Special K | Professional Lurker

rhythmicmoose
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 27, 2003, 05:40 PM

Working on a mockup of sorts...

This is fun!

Of course, it wasn't my idea, and I know nothing about theming.

Oh well, I'll learn.

Kujo
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 27, 2003, 06:35 PM

i agree. with a black apple.... this would look really cool.

MorphOSX
Forum Regular
Dec 27, 2003, 06:42 PM

I thought about doing something like this before. I'd deffinitely love to help.

Dave

jokell82
Professional Poster
Dec 27, 2003, 07:04 PM

I had no idea what you guys were talking about, then I opened the sliding drawer thingy (technical term) - that would kick ass!

All glory to the hypnotoad.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Dec 27, 2003, 07:41 PM

Wow, I made a DVD player theme for Ti7 the other day too, and I didn't even think of that idea. I can't wait to see it. maybe the first truly original AquaMod! Here's the DVD theme that changed everything BUT those buttons!

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2003, 09:28 PM

The DVD player buttons are the best part of Apple's Panther "Aqua". I've liked them since I first saw them.
click one

rhythmicmoose
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 28, 2003, 09:48 AM

Here's my mockup so far:

Work in progress... and I'm new at this.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Dec 28, 2003, 10:08 AM

Looks good! Try making the titlebar have the same reflection as the dark buttons, and the main widgets bigger and more reflective. They look a little tiny and flat black.
( Last edited by mrtew; Dec 28, 2003 at 11:35 AM. )

rhythmicmoose
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 28, 2003, 10:31 AM

Originally posted by mrtew:
Looks good! Try making the titlebar have the same reflection as the dark buttons, and the main widgets bigger and more reflective. They look a little tiny and flat black.
Already planning on it. I was just trying out the black widgets as a concept. I was planning on that idea for the titlebar too, but I wonder if it will look weird looking almost identical to the buttons. Only one way to find out... I'll work on it later.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Dec 28, 2003, 11:54 AM

Couldn't resist trying it out! What do you think?

swiz
GUI Punk
Dec 28, 2003, 01:09 PM

Originally posted by mrtew:
Couldn't resist trying it out! What do you think?

Not to keen on the widgets or the toolbar buttons but the rest is looking hot .
I would also suggest trying to make the left side of the titlebar the same as the right, it might feel nicer.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

sheer
Forum Regular
Dec 28, 2003, 01:14 PM

hmmm, Blaqua

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Dec 28, 2003, 02:03 PM

You should go with round plastic widgets. Some other title bar might be best... and I'd try and move away from that almost brown color that you already use in your Ti themes.
click one

MorphOSX
Forum Regular
Dec 28, 2003, 02:58 PM

How about a black pinstripe titlebar? take the aqua titlebars and such and make them a dark grey?

Dave

Frisbee
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 28, 2003, 03:25 PM

Originally posted by sheer:
hmmm, Blaqua
No, Darqua.

codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 28, 2003, 04:09 PM

I like Blaqua.

Frisbee
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 28, 2003, 04:17 PM

I think the best way to go about the x-+ widgets would be, because this theme uses the "plastic" style, a darkened variation of those used in kevin macload's "pro plastic" theme.

Blaqua to me looks like "block-wuh," and this theme has nothing to do with blocks

rhythmicmoose
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 28, 2003, 05:53 PM

Originally posted by swiz:
I would also suggest trying to make the left side of the titlebar the same as the right, it might feel nicer.
Swiz: That's exactly how I was going to do it, but I didn't get around to it today.

MrTew: I like how your X-+ widgets are +-X widgets .

The light version of the button was supposed to be a clicked state. I really like the glow of the sleep light on the dual USB iBooks, where it comes out of a seemingly solid surface. I was thinking the pulsing version might be something like that (circular glow in the center instead of the whole button lit up, though).
( Last edited by rhythmicmoose; Dec 28, 2003 at 06:01 PM. )

CiN FuL
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 28, 2003, 06:10 PM

im jealous of apple sometimes.... i cant get these awesome themes on xp :/

mrtew
Professional Poster
Dec 28, 2003, 08:16 PM

Originally posted by NetworkShadow:
You should go with round plastic widgets. Some other title bar might be best... and I'd try and move away from that almost brown color that you already use in your Ti themes.
Oh, I'm not going to do this theme! I just couldn't resist meddling in RM's mockup. And that is true pure grey that Ti7 and this theme and Shinobi use. It just looks brownish because most every other grey theme is heavily blue tinted making everyone's eyes get so skewed that they see gray as brown.

Originally posted by rhythmicmoose:
MrTew: I like how your X-+ widgets are +-X widgets .

The light version of the button ...might be ... circular glow in the center instead of the whole button lit up.
Wow, hard to believe I even call myself a themer with an error like that +-x one!!! I do like the idea of the center glow now that you explain it. (not too keen on the transparent faded out button though. Never could understand the concept of solid looking stuff getting transparent in Aqua).

rhythmicmoose
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 28, 2003, 09:06 PM

Originally posted by CiN FuL:
im jealous of apple sometimes.... i cant get these awesome themes on xp :/
You've got more to be jealous of than themes, my friend .

Mockup update coming...

rhythmicmoose
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 28, 2003, 10:03 PM

Update:

Updated the titlebar and widgets. I was thinking the plain black could be the idle state, with the colors coming on mouseover.

Added a progressbar mockup. I like the tickmark style in Swiz's Studio Pro, but always wanted them thicker (these are 3 pixels wide instead of 1). They're a more shiny version of the gradient in the buttons.

I'm away from home right now, so getting work in (and doing it on a laptop) is a bit difficult. Unfortunately, I also have exams in the coming week. After that I should have some more free time.

Stevos: I suppose I sort of jumped in with my first mockup, even though you had asked Swiz to do it. Swiz being "retired" and all, I'd really like to try to make this theme. Of course, I've never made a theme before, and it is your idea, so I'd like your permission before I get too far in. Thanks.

Stevos  (op)
Dec 28, 2003, 11:45 PM

It's not my permission to give -- if I yell out a request and an amazing theme results, I'll be indebted to whomever did it.

[edit] I don't like those close/etc widgets though [/edit]
swont

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 28, 2003, 11:56 PM

Originally posted by Stevos:

[edit] I don't like those close/etc widgets though [/edit]
I agree.

-Owl

x user
Mac Elite
Dec 29, 2003, 12:00 AM

I like the glowing stoplights, too bad you couln't get them to pulse like the sleep light on the Powermac g4's.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Dec 29, 2003, 12:02 AM

Originally posted by OwlBoy:
I agree.
-Owl
Me too.
( Last edited by mrtew; Dec 29, 2003 at 12:49 AM. )

Kujo
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 29, 2003, 12:16 AM

i like this mockup alot more... i like the simpleness of the title bar, if its going to be black aqua try and remember the plastic elements dont have to be in every part of the theme. just buttons, scrolls...ect...

infact i think the defualt basic aqua theme would look great with just all black elements of plastic.

codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 29, 2003, 12:32 AM

I like the widgets.

brazil
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 29, 2003, 12:42 AM

As do I .
"I'm a Grey Chicken" - This is what my African Grey said . She did not learn it from me. www.screaminmoon.com

Brien
Professional Poster
Dec 29, 2003, 12:48 AM

Reminds me of Dark Aqua.... hmm... a little.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 29, 2003, 01:07 AM

Update:

i like the smoky dark stoplight widgets too.

swiz
GUI Punk
Dec 29, 2003, 01:32 AM

The progress bar looks quite cool. The widgets are a bit too dirty right now. It has mucho potential, if you'd like any assistance PM me and we can collaborate, I like this.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

MorphOSX
Forum Regular
Dec 29, 2003, 02:28 AM

Yes, I'd love to work on this as well. Lemme know if I can help.

Dave

codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 29, 2003, 09:00 AM

I just realized that this mockup is very similar in design to Max's website. I wonder if the 10.3 DVD player dark buttons were his inspiration too?

rhythmicmoose
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 29, 2003, 09:32 AM

We like the widgets, we don't like the widgets. Anything in particular I can change to make them better? I think they look a bit soft and dirty too, so I'll try to clean them up later.

I sort of liked the cleaner look of the original titlebar too, or at least I did when I started to make it, but perhaps a smoother version of the new one would look good too?

Maybe the theme is misnamed, or not following the original idea too closely. Was there already a theme called Dark Aqua? I had never really meant for it to be a dark version of Aqua, just a black plastic GUI (with glowy lights from underneath the surface, or maybe I'm the only one that really digs that idea).

fireside
Professional Poster
Dec 29, 2003, 11:38 AM

the progress bar background shouldnt be white like it is. it should be gray or black. if we're making a dark theme, everything should be dark, ya'know?

Tulkas
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 29, 2003, 01:13 PM

We like the widgets, we don't like the widgets. Anything in particular I can change to make them better? I think they look a bit soft and dirty too, so I'll try to clean them up later.

I sort of liked the cleaner look of the original titlebar too, or at least I did when I started to make it, but perhaps a smoother version of the new one would look good too?

Maybe the theme is misnamed, or not following the original idea too closely. Was there already a theme called Dark Aqua? I had never really meant for it to be a dark version of Aqua, just a black plastic GUI (with glowy lights from underneath the surface, or maybe I'm the only one that really digs that idea).
Yup, I made Dark Aqua.

Those cows won't know what hit 'em. They won't know what hit them even after it hits them, because they're cows.

daydreamer
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 29, 2003, 01:21 PM

To me, it loses the effect the dvd player has, it fits for some smaller things but it doesnt work when overused - like making a theme of it.. you could make more contrast between the elements.

Just my humble opinion.

rhythmicmoose
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 29, 2003, 01:41 PM

Originally posted by Tulkas:
Yup, I made Dark Aqua.
Woops. Forgive my ignorance. I had basically stopped using themes after OS X came out and there was no more Kaleidoscope, until last year when my friend showed me SS Ice Power on his iBook. I kind of missed everything in between.

To Daydreamer: I agree, it doesn't quite have the effect that it does when you see the buttons in DVD Player, but the idea wasn't to capture the effect, it was to build a theme around the buttons. It's still a mockup, though, so a lot might still change.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Dec 29, 2003, 01:47 PM

Update:

Not to put anyone down, just my creative input, but I'm not really happy with the direction it's headed. Mainly the choice of the almost brown color, and the title bar... I think the buttons are a great idea for the theme, but having everything bases on the buttons' graphics is kinda lacking. The widgets are ok, but I think the active widgets should look like they are glowing LEDs. If it's "Black Aqua" it should have more almost black color to it and less brown. Maybe more glossy black plastic for the title bar would be cool?
click one

codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 29, 2003, 02:03 PM

Not to put anyone down, just my creative input, but I'm not really happy with the direction it's headed. Mainly the choice of the almost brown color, and the title bar... I think the buttons are a great idea for the theme, but having everything bases on the buttons' graphics is kinda lacking. The widgets are ok, but I think the active widgets should look like they are glowing LEDs. If it's "Black Aqua" it should have more almost black color to it and less brown. Maybe more glossy black plastic for the title bar would be cool?
Perhaps your monitor is configured different than mine, as I don't see any brown at all.

It looks completely dark grey to me. I love it. Please finish this theme, I would definitely use it. Keep up the good work!

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Dec 29, 2003, 02:07 PM

Originally posted by codywalton:
Perhaps your monitor is configured different than mine, as I don't see any brown at all.

It looks completely dark grey to me. I love it. Please finish this theme, I would definitely use it. Keep up the good work!
It's just a brownish tint of grey, but dark grey isn't "black aqua" ether.
click one

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 29, 2003, 02:08 PM

What I think will be a winner: a theme that just copy the pro Apple apps look. Just check how nice is the LiveType open file window:

I want a system wide pro GUI !!, how second me?

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Dec 29, 2003, 02:09 PM

Originally posted by angelmb:
What I think will be a winner: a theme that just copy the pro Apple apps look. Just check how nice is the LiveType open file window:

I want a system wide pro GUI !!, how second me?
Swiz already did that for Jag.
click one

rhythmicmoose
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 29, 2003, 03:07 PM

1. It's definitely a dark gray. It looks brown to me too sometimes, but it's gray.

2. I just finished a glossier version of the titlebar before I read your post! I'll post the next mockup in a bit.

3. There seem to be many different opinions on this theme's direction, overall color scheme, etc. Remember, it is very early on in development. Once I start putting stuff into ThemePark and can actually see how it works as an interface, I can start to make decisions about variations. From the comments I am hearing now, it sounds like there might have to be two main color schemes and two widget style options.

Hopefully. I've got to finish the first theme first.

Finally, I think this thing is definitely misnamed. I'm kind of leaning towards "Black Plastic," but we'll see how it goes...

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 29, 2003, 03:28 PM

"Swiz already did that for Jag."

Can you link it, please?

Panther support?

Thanks.

Forum Links
Forum Rules