Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > [ANN] MacThemes.net (and Omega teaser)

[ANN] MacThemes.net (and Omega teaser)
phillryu
Mac Elite
Jan 1, 2004, 01:20 AM

1/1/2004

MacThemes.net was launched today to fill a long lasting void in the Mac GUI community. The website plans to offer theme related news, reviews, previews and interviews, something that has never been attempted before. MacThemes also provides an "Interesting Reads" section to monitor theme-related forum threads of interest and user comments. User voting and website skins are planned for the near future.

Visitors will find three theme reviews currently residing in the theme review archives, as well as reviews of Konfabulator and Candybar in the software section. In addition, there is an "Insider" interview with William Bart, in which he discusses his history as a graphics artist and his highly anticipated OS X theme, BBX: Omega.

MacThemes invites visitors to comment, feedback, and critique, as the website will continually change and improve to meet the needs of its users.

A toast, to Mac Theming of 2004!

-phill (http://www.macthemes.net)

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

Frisbee
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 1, 2004, 01:25 AM

Thank you, Phillip Ryu, Adam Betts, et all! This is the kind of site we've needed for a while in the theming/modding community; a nice, organized, centralized download and review center for all our needs. A very exciting stretch of time this is- with the release of this site, and SS 1.1 and BBX Omega on the horizon, this is the first step opening the door to a golden era of Mac OS X theming, and I for one am ready to step inside.

zachs
Mac Elite
Jan 1, 2004, 01:29 AM

Looks good! I too have been wanting a site like this for a while.

Two little things:
- There's no e-mail address to send sample reviews to. Where should we send them?
- I posted a comment about it; the link to the MacNN forum thread is incorrect here.

Other than that, very nice!

Kujo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 1, 2004, 01:36 AM

whats teaser?

phillryu  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 1, 2004, 01:39 AM

Originally posted by zachs:
Looks good! I too have been wanting a site like this for a while.

Two little things:
- There's no e-mail address to send sample reviews to. Where should we send them?
- I posted a comment about it; the link to the MacNN forum thread is incorrect here.

Other than that, very nice!
Fixed the email link. Good night guys, it's been a long few days for me Glad you like it.

PS: The teaser is in the interview, found on the site.

zachs
Mac Elite
Jan 1, 2004, 01:40 AM

Originally posted by Kujo:
whats teaser?
William Bart on Life, Omega, and Theming

div
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 1, 2004, 01:40 AM

MacThemes.net looks to be what people on the MacNN GUI forums have been asking for. A well designed repository--with reviews and screenshots--for MacOS X themes. I personally think the site looks great and can't wait to see what content will be added next.

Oh yeah, and the William Bart interview was awesome too.
;)

I wasn't aware of the extreme lengths that William (or is it Bill?) is taking this theme. From what I've gleaned from between the lines, it seems that SS 1.1 will support, among other things, animations in the GUI? Whatever happens, the BBX interview convinced me that William really has a fine appreciation for his work. With so many themes that are lacking that same attention to detail, I look forward to installing Omega on my system and marveling at the small details.
:)

Thanks for the nice site, the interview, and a "sneak peek" phillryu.

/ happy new year
/ div

WICKEDfour
Forum Regular
Jan 1, 2004, 01:44 AM

Wow, great job. Thanks for sharing the awesome interview with William Bart! I hope this recent interview helps show the guy behind the theme and helps some people mellow out. Thanks for showing us the iTRM!

As far as the site goes, good use of a news system and comments. Will there be a preview page for any upcoming themes? It'd be great to have some preview-reviews for the themes being submitted to Unsanity's contest. Also, how about an in-line comments display next to or under the theme reviews and such? That'd be great!

Excellent job on everything, phillryu, Adam Betts, and the brilliant web site coder/s behind such a slick site!

Themer | Metroid 2002 Supporter | Switchboard Operator | A Special K | Professional Lurker

cloudaj
Forum Regular
Jan 1, 2004, 01:45 AM

in the interview it talks about the remote docking into the desktop...so let me get this straight...you design a desktop with designated regions and when a specific window passes over it / rests on that spot you can have it "lock" into the desktop? if so thats one of the neatest GUI things ive ever heard of, lol.

Kujo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 1, 2004, 02:08 AM

the little music widget or whatever it is? thats a teaser to the theme?

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Jan 1, 2004, 02:10 AM

Nice work.
click one

Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 1, 2004, 02:12 AM

As I say on the site. What a great interview. I might well be that this site is going to be huge if all goes well.

dole
Forum Regular
Jan 1, 2004, 03:22 AM

That site is looking really nice. Just to give you a heads up, the link to download Power Metal on the themes pages is actually a link for FatalE.

Jan Van Boghout
Jan 1, 2004, 05:56 AM

Originally posted by dole:
That site is looking really nice. Just to give you a heads up, the link to download Power Metal on the themes pages is actually a link for FatalE.
Fixed

Cerbero
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 1, 2004, 10:12 AM

This looks exactly like what we've all been waiting for
Thanks, this will definitely be one of my daily visits.

sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 1, 2004, 11:37 AM

nice site , much more professional than the likes of customize.org, winstyles or whatever

timdorr
Jan 1, 2004, 02:33 PM

I really like the look, and some nice stuff for a fledgling site. But no theme archive? That's kinda what I was hoping for :/
140x40? 4 lines of text? o_O?
Man, those are some strict sig guidelines.

phillryu  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 1, 2004, 03:14 PM

Originally posted by timdorr:
I really like the look, and some nice stuff for a fledgling site. But no theme archive? That's kinda what I was hoping for :/
Timdorr, I decided from the start that we would let others do a theme archive site, because I believe there are people much more capable for the job. Glad you like the look though

Nebagakid
Mac Elite
Jan 1, 2004, 03:39 PM

how does the site work? I know it is powered by MovableType.

Are there any plug-ins or what?

mrfrost
Mac Elite
Jan 1, 2004, 03:48 PM

Great job guys!

Sage
Mac Elite
Jan 1, 2004, 04:04 PM

The site is very impressive. (Okay, you have more divisions than you need, but I can forgive you. )

And the teaser looks incredible! Now, just to clarify... is that the Konfabulator remote?

[edit]: Oooooh, I just realized that you guys used the text shadow property in your CSS... nice. Only seen one other site that used it (the Fluid screensaver website, whatever that is).
( Last edited by Sage; Jan 1, 2004 at 04:26 PM. )

smeger
Mac Elite
Jan 1, 2004, 04:08 PM

Beautiful site! Congrats Phillip, Adam & Jan! The hard work has definitely paid off.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

eFX
Jan 1, 2004, 05:14 PM

wonderfull site phill, very Professional looking top class!

Great interview with BBX.

quandarry
Jan 1, 2004, 05:22 PM

looks promising as long as it doesn't become a bbx ass kissing site.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Jan 1, 2004, 05:25 PM

Originally posted by quandarry:
looks promising as long as it doesn't become a bbx ass kissing site.

You know? That's a good idea... A BBX ass kissing site.
click one

timdorr
Jan 1, 2004, 05:54 PM

Originally posted by phillryu:
Timdorr, I decided from the start that we would let others do a theme archive site, because I believe there are people much more capable for the job. Glad you like the look though
Guess I'll work on that after all, then
140x40? 4 lines of text? o_O?
Man, those are some strict sig guidelines.

phillryu  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 1, 2004, 06:23 PM

Originally posted by Nebagakid:
how does the site work? I know it is powered by MovableType.

Are there any plug-ins or what?
This is MovableType with the paginate plug in (for separating articles like the interview into pages), MTOtherBlog (to show newest reviews in the news blog for instance) and an extra fields hack to allow download links for reviews.

phillryu  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 1, 2004, 06:24 PM

Originally posted by Sage:
The site is very impressive. (Okay, you have more divisions than you need, but I can forgive you. )

And the teaser looks incredible! Now, just to clarify... is that the Konfabulator remote?
Divisions as in sections? If you want theme/software reviews together, set a bookmark to http://www.macthemes.net/reviews/.

And yes, it is an iTunes Konfabulator remote that you're seeing. Time to buy Konfabulator eh?

Sage
Mac Elite
Jan 1, 2004, 06:49 PM

Divisions as in sections?
No no... I mean <div>. In theory, nesting divisions isn't ideal... in your site's case, I think the ideal setup would be to have a header division, sidebar, content, and footer. But I'm just nitpicking, so ignore me if you wish.

And yes, it is an iTunes Konfabulator remote that you're seeing. Time to buy Konfabulator eh?
Heh heh... Most certainly.
( Last edited by Sage; Jan 1, 2004 at 06:54 PM. )

MacDog
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 1, 2004, 06:50 PM

The site looks fantastic! Nice, clean and easy to view site. An archive would be a welcome addition - and though other people here have stated *interest* in doing an archive site, nobody has stepped up to the plate, so I would say go for it.

phillryu  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 1, 2004, 08:18 PM

No no... I mean <div>. In theory, nesting divisions isn't ideal... in your site's case, I think the ideal setup would be to have a header division, sidebar, content, and footer. But I'm just nitpicking, so ignore me if you wish.
This is a known shortcoming, and needs to be addressed should we add site 'skins' as is planned. Cleaning up the code is indeed on our list. Just imagine poor Jan working till midnight in 4 frantic days to convert a mockup into reality, (and rendering correctly in IE 6 no less) and you get your nested div's.

Sage
Mac Elite
Jan 1, 2004, 09:59 PM

This is a known shortcoming, and needs to be addressed should we add site 'skins' as is planned. Cleaning up the code is indeed on our list. Just imagine poor Jan working till midnight in 4 frantic days to convert a mockup into reality, (and rendering correctly in IE 6 no less) and you get your nested div's.
Ah, I see... good deal, good deal.

Synotic
Mac Elite
Jan 1, 2004, 10:14 PM

Ah, I see... good deal, good deal.
Yeah... it also might already have been done Just needs to be popped in...

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 1, 2004, 11:21 PM

cool site

need resources though...i want a place that is the end all of all mac theme sites

link me to more themes you haven't reviews

Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 2, 2004, 02:32 PM

Why does it have to render correctly in IE6? As far as I know Internet Explorer does not follow the guidelines set by W3C. And since it's a _Mac_ website I see no point of it being done to please Windows users.

Jan Van Boghout
Jan 2, 2004, 02:55 PM

Originally posted by Fonzie:
Why does it have to render correctly in IE6? As far as I know Internet Explorer does not follow the guidelines set by W3C. And since it's a _Mac_ website I see no point of it being done to please Windows users.
If people are at work and �uhm� not entertained � they could go have a look. Plus, why give Windows users a chance to say how crappy Mac theme sites look and how great theirs are

Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 2, 2004, 03:29 PM

Originally posted by Jan Van Boghout:
If people are at work and �uhm� not entertained � they could go have a look. Plus, why give Windows users a chance to say how crappy Mac theme sites look and how great theirs are
hmm, a good valid point there Jan

phillryu  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2004, 05:40 PM

Originally posted by Apple Pro Underwear:
cool site

need resources though...i want a place that is the end all of all mac theme sites

link me to more themes you haven't reviews
At the rate the reviews are going atm, expect 15+ themes in the archives this month, and the number to quickly rise... Though we are never going to review every OS X theme, the majority probably will.

Holigen
Mac Elite
Jan 4, 2004, 04:29 PM

Very nice site, although it could use a theme archive in addition to the reviews, I like it a lot. Thank you for working so hard on it.

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Jan 4, 2004, 05:31 PM

phillryu: Congrats on the site. Nicely done.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 4, 2004, 06:44 PM

Very cool looking.

and as others have said... it needs a Theme Archive.

Even if they are old non SS themes, or even old non 10.3/10.2 themes.

Oh, a forum would be cool too...

-Owl

phillryu  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 4, 2004, 09:13 PM

Originally posted by OwlBoy:
Very cool looking.

and as others have said... it needs a Theme Archive.

Even if they are old non SS themes, or even old non 10.3/10.2 themes.

Oh, a forum would be cool too...

-Owl
All themes will be 10.3+, because they will only be entered with a review. Which means, as I have said, no archive. Sorry.

And the thing about forums was, I didn't really see a point with competing with the best theme forums out there: here! The macnn gui customization forums are already well known, members know each other here, and I could offer no real advantages, so I didn't think there was much of a point. Unless anyone could convince me otherwise..

swiz
GUI Punk
Jan 5, 2004, 12:25 AM

All themes will be 10.3+, because they will only be entered with a review. Which means, as I have said, no archive. Sorry.

And the thing about forums was, I didn't really see a point with competing with the best theme forums out there: here! The macnn gui customization forums are already well known, members know each other here, and I could offer no real advantages, so I didn't think there was much of a point. Unless anyone could convince me otherwise..
I agree, I dont have the time to browse any other forums during the day.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

MorphOSX
Forum Regular
Jan 5, 2004, 04:09 AM

well, Phill has a unique opportunity here:

Macthemes is going to be the end all, be all of theme community news and reviews. XThemes, which just was announced, seems to be actually archiving/hosting themes for the masses. So, the two go inevitably hand in hand as you can jump from MacThemes with its reviews to XThemes and grab the files.

Dave

WICKEDfour
Forum Regular
Jan 5, 2004, 10:29 AM

Exactly. As far as XThemes and MacThemes go, why not have an alliance of sorts? I mean, the function of each site compliment each other, so why not intertwine them? Example: XThemes has a link back to the MacThemes review; XThemes hosts the themes so they can:
A. Distribute themes easily and reliably (I mean, not everyone that makes themes is going to have the bandwidth to host it, especially if it's a popular theme)
B. Review themes in XThemes database (so we can see how high quality all of these new themes are with a nice review )
C. Give users what they want: a comprehensive archive database of existing themes and reviewed themes all in one.

I think it could be done, what do you think, phillryu and brien?

Themer | Metroid 2002 Supporter | Switchboard Operator | A Special K | Professional Lurker

iNeusch
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2004, 10:57 AM

Good idea ! The site rocks
Hope it won't be to hard to get all the themes from the different authors...

phillryu  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2004, 04:19 PM

Originally posted by WICKEDfour:
Exactly. As far as XThemes and MacThemes go, why not have an alliance of sorts? I mean, the function of each site compliment each other, so why not intertwine them? Example: XThemes has a link back to the MacThemes review; XThemes hosts the themes so they can:
A. Distribute themes easily and reliably (I mean, not everyone that makes themes is going to have the bandwidth to host it, especially if it's a popular theme)
B. Review themes in XThemes database (so we can see how high quality all of these new themes are with a nice review )
C. Give users what they want: a comprehensive archive database of existing themes and reviewed themes all in one.

I think it could be done, what do you think, phillryu and brien?
Well, MT is indeed going to link to XThemes for themes that are being hosted there. (Download link/website.) It's up to them if they want to link back to a review or not. However, there is no integration beyond that planned. Think of XThemes as imdb.com, and MT as rottentomatoes. The analogy isn't perfect, but we concentrate more on reviews, they concentrate on keeping a complete database.

MacDog
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 6, 2004, 03:48 PM

I see your point. It pays to focus on certain aspects. And I'm sure it's no easy task keeping a database up to date - especially since many themers change web addys, email, etc. without you knowing - and trying to maintain an accurate DB along with reviewing the themes is a bit much.

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2004, 09:32 AM

Hey Phil,
I really like MacThemes and the way you're handling the site.
Powerbook 1.67ghz 15" (100GB HD, 128MB VRAM, 1.5GB RAM)

iNeusch
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2004, 09:47 AM

Originally posted by MacDog:
I see your point. It pays to focus on certain aspects. And I'm sure it's no easy task keeping a database up to date - especially since many themers change web addys, email, etc. without you knowing - and trying to maintain an accurate DB along with reviewing the themes is a bit much.
Yes and as it takes a lot of time to do good reviews on interesting subjects, it's a good things they don't do too many things at once.

Forum Links
Forum Rules