Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Cloning to a new drive

Cloning to a new drive
EricDD
Jan 30, 2004, 08:02 PM

hi: i have a question abut my cloning my drive.

i just bought a new 60 gig drive for my 667 dvi and a firewire case for the original drive. i think i will just clone my drive to the new one as everything is running well and is stable.

is this the proper procedure: put the new drive in the firewire case - clone my drive to it - and then pop it out and install it in my powerbook.

or, do i have to clone to a third drive that won't be removed, in other words, clone to a third drive, then install the new drive and then clone my stuff to the new installed one? my question is, in essence, is it ok to remove the new drive from the firewire case after i cloned my data and then install it, or will removing it from the case somehow mess up my data.

does this make sense?

and also, is there any reason that i shouild reinstall everything on the new drive from scratch - i'd rather not if i don't have to.

thanks for the help, eric

MountainMac
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 30, 2004, 09:01 PM

That should work. Is there any reason why you couldn't just try it and see if it works? I don't think you're risking anything...

Carbon Copy Cloner works great for this; it retains permissions and bootability (is this even a word) and everything.

MM
Plato--what's a "Chickie Run"?

Dave Hagan
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 30, 2004, 09:57 PM

The better app is built into Apple's Disk Utility for doing a clone. It's the "restore" tab/button. Edit: I should mention that this is only in Panther.
Dave Hagan | Apple Certified Technical Coordinator | iMac G5 1.9GHz | PowerBook G4 1.5GHz | Power Mac G4 933 MHz

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2004, 07:41 AM

Yep, CCC is the best app out there. It works at advertised and it's free. Try it out.
Powerbook 1.67ghz 15" (100GB HD, 128MB VRAM, 1.5GB RAM)

EricDD  (op)
Jan 31, 2004, 04:22 PM

thanks for the replies. sounds like it should be fine. i'll read up some more on apple's restore. did not realizie that this was built intto panther. ccc though seems fairly straighforward

if anybody has any more thoughts about ccc vs restore please let me know.

thanks again. eric

Forum Links
Forum Rules