Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > DVD Player demo

DVD Player demo
HoofHearted
Forum Regular
Jul 18, 2001, 02:57 PM

found it interesting that the sequence Steve used to show off DVD player in 10.1 had no talky bits whatsoever...

... and therefore no chance of seeing any lip-sync problems.

(or am I just being cynical! )

good to see it exists anyway! roll on september!

I'm glad the 10.1 demo was cool, 'cos it made up for some pretty lukewarm hardware announcements (surely the iMac and G4 are "yikes" type stop-gaps)

a holck
Senior User
Jul 18, 2001, 03:11 PM

It looked great!
Really nice interface...
Looks like they are cocoanising all Apple apps

MusicMac
Forum Regular
Jul 18, 2001, 03:57 PM

Hey, it's a start, anyway.
G4/400 - 20/10GB HD -256MB RAM -OS X 10.1.2

edddeduck
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2001, 04:04 PM

I am waiting for my pay checks for this summer so I can get a tasty dual 800

10.1 looks very good to say the least esp as its was shown on a 733....

smart
Jul 18, 2001, 04:10 PM

edddeduck

How do you know that they used a 733 for the demo of OS X? If so I am REALLY looking forward to my dual 800 in august!!

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2001, 04:16 PM

Originally posted by smart:
<STRONG>edddeduck

How do you know that they used a 733 for the demo of OS X? If so I am REALLY looking forward to my dual 800 in august!! </STRONG>
It's a logical Guess. Although a special cased version may have been made, It's most likely that the machine Jobs was using was the high-end PRIOR to the introduction of the new speeded G4s. Although we really can't be sure.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

Scott_H
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2001, 05:03 PM

Originally posted by HoofHearted:
<STRONG>found it interesting that the sequence Steve used to show off DVD player in 10.1 had no talky bits whatsoever...

... and therefore no chance of seeing any lip-sync problems

....</STRONG>
Good point. I bet you're right on that one.

FAerrorTAL
Jul 18, 2001, 06:07 PM

of course, they do have a few months, is it for sure that was the final build of the dvd player? odds are the sound might need work, along with the rest of the demo stuff... but I bet things are gonna be SWEET!!

aaron
Fatal Error... a PC term
for "I should have
bought a Mac"

smart
Jul 18, 2001, 06:09 PM

SirCastor

Lets hope so.. That would mean that it will SCREAM on a dual 800!

On a side note how do you do quotes?

/Stefan

Doyle Creighbaum
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 18, 2001, 09:14 PM

I watched the demo on Tech TV, the idiot from FreshGear hated the Keynote & said that the DVD Player crashed.

Funny, I didn'r notice the DVD Player do anything like crash?????

I HATE Tech TV.

SS3 GokouX
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 18, 2001, 09:38 PM

The DVD player did crash. When Steve tried to play the 2nd chapter nothing happened, Steve said something along the lines of "what the heck?" and then the window vanished to reveal the desktop. No alert window came up saying that it crashed or anything. But Steve was quick to launch the player again. Since everything seems to launch so fast you couldn't really tell.

It's non released yet, so don't worry, it'll get fixed. Especially since Stevie seemed to be having a lot of problems today (ie: the digital camera).

"And I will rule you all with an iron fist! You! OBEY THE FIST!" -Invader Zim

spectre
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 18, 2001, 09:53 PM

Steve couldn't turn on the digital camera. It had nothing to do with OS X at all. I think the guy didn't charge it correctly or something.. someones gonna be fired

SS3 GokouX
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 18, 2001, 10:20 PM

I know the camera had nothing to do with X, it was his inability to work with simple machines . But he still seemed petty pissed off when he "tossed" it to the guy in the audience. That was funny. I'm sure he couldn't wait for the keynote to end so he could b*tch, moan, and fire the guy who bought the camera.

"And I will rule you all with an iron fist! You! OBEY THE FIST!" -Invader Zim

<Daniel Canaris>
Jul 18, 2001, 10:20 PM

One thing I think is amusing is that Steve is tuting that Digial Cameras etc. are so easy that your Grandma can use them... but Steve Jobs can't even figure out how to turn them on!

Silly old Stupid Steve.

michaelb
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2001, 11:37 PM

Give the guy a break.

Public speaking is hard, really hard. Remembering everything you have to say, knowing you have to present a calm exterior, feeling that a 1000 mischievous demo gods are ready to hurl their thunderbolts at your machine is not an easy thing to cope with.

A 2 hour keynote is no walk in the park, even if you are a skilled orator like Steve Jobs. Doing that and demonstrating equipment too is extremely difficult.

Which is why you almost never see any technology company CEOs do their own demos on stage... Larry Ellison, Scott McNealy, Bill Gates... they always delegate.

And to the first poster...as far as I could make out from the streaming, the sound synched fine with my DVD.

ARENA
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2001, 11:48 PM

michaelb, did you took a snapshot of the DVD?

Is there any way of doing that?

<Nayr>
Jul 19, 2001, 12:00 AM

The camera had nothing to do with Steve Jobs being a retard, as you guys are claiming.

The reason it refused to turn on was that the batteries were either very low, or completely dead (does it really matter?).

How do I know? Well first, the battery comments made, but thats a given. Second, the fact that we own that same exact camera, which drains batteries like nobody's buisness. That was particularly amusing to me.

So to conclude: it wasn't Steve's fault, give him a break.

- nayr

P.S. Yes, I was also indeed minorly disappointed in the keynote. I'm looking forward to 10.1 in September, although, like many others, I wish it came around sooner. Like today. Oh well. And I agree, Steve did seem quite ashamed of their iMac offerings.

Korv
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 19, 2001, 08:26 AM

There's no way that was a G4 from prior to the update. If Apple, and specifiacally Steve Jobs is demoing, he'll have the best machine available.

That was at least a dual-800 he was using. Somebody on another thread posted that it was a prototype PowerMac with DDR RAM and unfinshed drivers. That would expainboth its zippyness and why DVD Player crashed. His source for this information? He said Steve told him. :shrug: If I can fing the thread I'll edit and add it.

<Daniel Canaris>
Jul 19, 2001, 09:48 AM

I was joking about the Camera ...

Anyway, Steve actually has a slide thing in his hand which also has key words on what he's about to say.

MasonMcD
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 19, 2001, 10:02 AM

Actually, I think there's a different explanation for the digital camera: some cameras aren't all that "plug and play" yet. One model negotiates the connection as it's trying to download, and it shuts off automatically, so you have to unplug, turn it back on, and plug it back in. That's probably what happened.

edddeduck
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2001, 02:46 PM

Right.....

I don't believe you about DDR etc as I have seen more reliable people seeing it absolutely scream on duals......

Why make a special case just to start a rumor when people on the floor can use 10.1 on duals and see straight though the ruse.

Give me a break...

10.1 could just be great, please think positive

King Kong
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 19, 2001, 02:58 PM

I watched the keynote with a bunch of Apple employees in Cupertino. The DVD demo got big laughs because Steve was making it look like it's almost done. Many in the crowd knew better and there was lots of giggling at this point. I asked about this and apparently securing a videostream in quite difficult under X especially on older hardware where the hardware was tailored for OS 9.

The only other really juicy bit of info that I gleened was at the end where the people around me were surprised that new ibooks were not introduced. Apparently there are new ibooks and they are ready to go.... I don't know what is different about them. My guess is that the current ones are selling so well they saw no need for an upgrade right now for fear of cannibalizing Ti sales.

<me>
Jul 19, 2001, 04:09 PM

The camera's batteries were dead because it was left on standby all night (they finished preparation at 2:30am). And no, the guy didn't get fired.

frawgz
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 19, 2001, 05:12 PM

Originally posted by Korv:
<STRONG>That was at least a dual-800 he was using. Somebody on another thread posted that it was a prototype PowerMac with DDR RAM and unfinshed drivers. That would expainboth its zippyness and why DVD Player crashed. His source for this information? He said Steve told him. :shrug: If I can fing the thread I'll edit and add it.</STRONG>
For the love of Mike, the guy was joking.

dfbennett
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 19, 2001, 05:24 PM

I think that they're probably some lip synch problems with the X DVD player right now. Remember all the trouble with DVD on Sawtooth G4s when they first came out? It took like 3 releases of the DVD Player to get good synch on my sawtooth. Oh well hopefully all will be well by september. I know I for one am excited for 10.1(more for the performance/ features than DVD). Also, why on earth did Steve select full frame? Not watching a film in OAR is just criminal
Regards,
Dave

ccrider
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 19, 2001, 09:38 PM

Did everyone notice the freeze after the digital camera demo? After he made the cool screensaver from the images on the camera, he tried to stop the demo, only to get a COMPLETELY frozen cursor on top of a spinning disc. This scares me, and I'm sure embarrassed him. Reminded me of the gates blue-screen-of-death incident. He looked pissed.

<manofsteel30>
Jul 19, 2001, 10:11 PM

do you people know if it will support the mpeg2 decoder cards that came with the bwg3? that will take some of the load off the processor for the g3.

AirSluf
Senior User
Jul 20, 2001, 04:30 AM

I have no idea what box was used onstage this time, but Apple has used un-announced and un-produced prototypes in the past if it could pass several rehearsals. Otherwise the standard is to use the fastest and bestest you got.

My guess is a Dual 800 was onstage.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 20, 2001, 06:35 AM

Originally posted by edddeduck:
<STRONG>I am waiting for my pay checks for this summer so I can get a tasty dual 800

10.1 looks very good to say the least esp as its was shown on a 733....</STRONG>
Wow, that would make it possible for you to see DVDs twice as fast !!!!
Too fast to see any lip-snyc problems

-t

Since EBCDIC
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 21, 2001, 04:45 AM

I was suprised that there was no speed bump in the TiPB (or the announcement of a dual-processor model).

Word on the street is that lots of folks, myself included, are holding off on purchasing because we need an incentive to move away from our 400- and 500-MHz Pismos and Wall Street models.

Oh well, a few more months then.
Since EBCDIC
Using Macs since they were Lisas.

<Too lazy to login>
Jul 25, 2001, 08:12 AM

What I hope with the DVD player is that it's not a complete hoax as it was on NeXTStep.

mrchin
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 25, 2001, 09:55 AM

I'm glad others noticed that they didn't show a talky scene of TS2, jubt flying with music.

I too was thinking that it was an old 733. It had the old case, unless they just used it to cover the fact that they had a redesign.
Dual 2.0 G5/2.5GB/ATI 9800 Pro | MacBook Pro 2.16 Gore Duo/2GB/ATI X1600

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 25, 2001, 10:20 AM

Originally posted by mrchin:
<STRONG>
Cocoa Krispies. Burning Pentiums to a Crisp!
Need help, or better yet, can you help me, [email protected]

</STRONG>
Hey, you stole my 777 !!! Give it back !!!

-t

davidmd
Forum Regular
Jul 25, 2001, 10:21 AM

Originally posted by mrchin:
<STRONG>I too was thinking that it was an old 733. It had the old case, unless they just used it to cover the fact that they had a redesign.</STRONG>
Actually, I'm almost absolutely certain that the machine Steve was using from the beginning of the keynote, and to demo OS X, had a new case. Strange, but I specifically remember noting that when looking at pictures of the keynote online:

Keynote Stage pic

davidmd

[ 07-25-2001: Message edited by: davidmd ]

Forum Links
Forum Rules