Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Lacie ethernet mini

Lacie ethernet mini
EricDD
Mar 16, 2005, 04:11 PM

hi - i have a question about the lacie ethernet mini.

http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10034

specifically, is it possible to store your itunes library on it and then use it to stream and access via itunes sharing, in the way that you can access itunes from another computer and stream.

i'm thinking of purchasing one of these if this is possible, rather than, for example, using a firewire drive attached to another networked computer to store itunes and then access it via my powerbook.

i wrote to lacie and their answer was yes, if itunes allows this.

thanks, eric

larkost
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2005, 06:26 PM

No: it will not function as an iTunes sharing source. You could put your files on the drive, then mount it and play the files, and with a bit of messing around you might even designate it as your iTunes music library locations (caution: this will break), but it is not a good solution for this.

There are a few projects that implement DAAP (the protocol that iTunes sharing is built on) and a forums for such things, but things are still really getting going on that front.

EricDD  (op)
Mar 16, 2005, 07:05 PM

thanks for the reply. i'll read up on what you posted. eric

ctlq
Mar 20, 2005, 09:10 AM

An alternative to the LaCie that can function as an iTunes server is the Linksys NSLU2. Since it runs on linux, it can be easily modified with added functionality. Check out www.nslu2-linux.org

Forum Links
Forum Rules