Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Student in High School? You Don't Get A Student Discount

Student in High School? You Don't Get A Student Discount (Page 3)
goMac
Posting Junkie
Apr 7, 2006, 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by FireWire
Seconded. What's up with all these non-relevant "IF" ? We're talking about a very tangible situation. Absolutely. Now what IF () Apple were to give discount to the white students only, or only those attending private school? Just because etchnicity isn't involved doesn't mean that the word discrimination doesn't apply.
Huh? Saying that the discount should be only given to students of any sort is discrimination alone.

Weird argument.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2006, 01:01 AM

My son doesn't have "a $6000 burning a hole" in his pocket, Wiskdjek.

HE WORKED FOR IT.

What I don't get is the fact that some people here seem to think that he's less deserving because he's a kid...or because he saved his money from mowing lawn, tutoring, working in a school library, or a school computer lab...for two solid years...his money is worth less because...why?

He worked for it and he worked hard and why in the hell should he just give it to Apple because he's 13? HE IS A STUDENT.

What I find incredible are the confessions here that people lied to GET the "student discount." I don't care, per se, but the point is that a lot of people apparently just PRETEND to be a student and get the money taken off. So, something is wrong, see?

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2006, 01:04 AM

Oh, and yes, I feel that Apple is discriminating against children and you want to know something?

I'm seeing a lawyer about it. I actually, for the first time in my life, intend to file a class action lawsuit on behalf of my son and all other STUDENTS that Apple discriminates against.

Apple is, basically, saying that children are less deserving, substandard, or unequal.

Yes, I'm going to see this through because I think it matters. A student is a student regardless of where he or she matriculates or his or her age.

Kids have rights also.

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2006, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by pintamino
Well, I agree that it is ridiculous that high-school students can't get a discount. I'm 16 and have to pay for EVERYTHING myself short of food and basic clothing. And when that's:

-$200 entry fees for horse shows
-Farrier and vet bills for 3 horses
-Car insurance (which isn't cheap, even for GOOD teen drivers!)
-Gas (shoot me here)
-Car maintenence
-Saving for tuition

It's not cheap!! I need -- and deserve -- a break as much as any of the college kids I know!

I understand the point about people abusing the privilidge, but people will abuse anything if given the oppourtunity.

WPI ( my college ):

Tuition and Fees $31,390
My portion of rent 3,900
My portion of bills 1,200
Books 500 (if i buy used and get books from friends)
Fraternity Dues 930
Meal Plan at Fraternity 2200 (lunch + dinner + snacks catered food service)
Social Activities $$$$$

and next year I am going to london for a term which is about 7000 on top of the tuition.

Cry me a river...
AXP
ΔΣΦ

FireWire
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2006, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by goMac
Huh? Saying that the discount should be only given to students of any sort is discrimination alone.

Weird argument.
It's called an incentive. Or a reward. "We understand that you don't have large revenue (or any revenue at all) and we encourage you to pursue your education, here's our way of giving you a little help". Yes it's is "discrimination", but for a good cause, and I hope nobody will come forward against that... We're talking about our future! Don't we want to give them the proper tools so they can learn "better" (for lack of a "better" word). I suppose you're also opposed to senior discount? I think it's a natural thing that we help those who have less.

A little "Only in America™" anecdote. When I visited the states, I encountered many venues that gave well-paid soldiers generous rebates, but nothing for cash-strapped students. This demonstrates where some peoples's values are...

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2006, 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by Cody Dawg
I'm seeing a lawyer about it. I actually, for the first time in my life, intend to file a class action lawsuit on behalf of my son and all other STUDENTS that Apple discriminates against.

Apple is, basically, saying that children are less deserving, substandard, or unequal.

Yes, I'm going to see this through because I think it matters. A student is a student regardless of where he or she matriculates or his or her age.

Kids have rights also.
Wow.

So Apple discriminates against students by charging them retail price? I'm not sure why you think Apple is required to give HS students a discount. It'd be nice. Hell, it'd be nice if they just lowered all their prices by 10% for everyone. But why do you think Apple should be legally required to give a discount to anyone?

Which "right" exactly are you talking about? Is that the 39th amendment to the constitution - kids have a right to Mac discounts?

You're just silly.

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 7, 2006, 01:19 AM

It is called a student discount, shortened from college student discount.

Education discounts came about because computers were first used in college, the computers were expensive, and the companies wanted to get students to buy their computer and then use brand loyalty to keep them.

None of those apply anymore, but they still offer educational discounts. Stop whining.
( Last edited by Scotttheking; Apr 7, 2006 at 01:27 AM. )
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Apr 7, 2006, 01:22 AM

My son doesn't have "a $6000 burning a hole" in his pocket, Wiskdjek.

HE WORKED FOR IT.
You work for money. Congratulations, your son is learning about "working for things", like most of the population of the US does. Unfortunately, the act of working for something does not get you something. You have to work a certain amount until you can afford what you want. You don't stop midway through and whine about how hard you've worked and how you deserve it now. Apple's job isn't to reward hard work. That's YOUR job as a parent if you want to reward your son for hard work.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Apr 7, 2006, 01:23 AM

It's called an incentive. Or a reward. "We understand that you don't have large revenue (or any revenue at all) and we encourage you to pursue your education, here's our way of giving you a little help". Yes it's is "discrimination", but for a good cause, and I hope nobody will come forward against that... We're talking about our future! Don't we want to give them the proper tools so they can learn "better" (for lack of a "better" word). I suppose you're also opposed to senior discount? I think it's a natural thing that we help those who have less.
...high school students don't pay for their education. College students do. Why should Apple give a discount to high school students when they have nearly free education?

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2006, 01:32 AM

You're wrong you know.

Some high school students DO pay for their education.

Apparently quite a few of the "college students" here aren't even college students...they're LIARS because they call up and say that they're students and they're not.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Apr 7, 2006, 01:33 AM

You're wrong you know.

Some high school students DO pay for their education.

Apparently quite a few of the "college students" here aren't even college students...they're LIARS because they call up and say that they're students and they're not.
Let's lay this out here.

Cost to go to 1 class in high school: $0
Cost to go to 1 class at a University: $2000 (Edit: assuming semesters, which is what I do)

Are we getting this yet?

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2006, 01:36 AM

Education discounts came about because computers were first used in college, the computers were expensive, and the companies wanted to get students to buy their computer and then use brand loyalty to keep them.

None of those apply anymore, but they still offer educational discounts.
Then they can offer them to people getting an education: CHILDREN THROUGH 18 YEARS OF AGE IN SCHOOL.

Or else they can discontinue it completely.

I think a little CNN bad press about this might be a good thing. It's just wrong for Apple to say to students all over the United States, "You don't matter. You may be a student, but you don't get a student discount. Why? Because you're a student...but not the kind we value. We only value a certain sector."

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2006, 01:37 AM

You think that students go to school for free?

WHAT ABOUT OUR TAXES?

No child goes to school for free!

Not one. The money comes from somewhere...even if it's taxes. In my son's school district the cost to educate each child annually is $21K.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Apr 7, 2006, 01:39 AM

Then they can offer them to people getting an education: CHILDREN THROUGH 18 YEARS OF AGE IN SCHOOL.

Or else they can discontinue it completely.

I think a little CNN bad press about this might be a good thing. It's just wrong for Apple to say to students all over the United States, "You don't matter. You may be a student, but you don't get a student discount. Why? Because you're a student...but not the kind we value. We only value a certain sector."
Ok... let's put it this way...

College students live on their own, pay for their own things, are often poor, and do not have parents to buy them things.

High school kids do not live on their own, are not forced to pay for their own things, often don't have money issues, and have parents to buy them things they cannot afford.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2006, 01:42 AM

Oh, you're presuming a LOT.

You PRESUME that high school kids don't live on their own. I DID. You presume that high school kids don't pay for their own things. THEY DO - A LOT OF PEOPLE HERE WILL TELL YOU THAT THEMSELVES. You presume that they don't have money issues - THAT IS LAUGHABLE. You presume that their parents just buy them things - ALSO LAUGHABLE.

Wake up and smell the roses, goMac. Life is not the way you THINK it is and students - ANY STUDENT - matters.

To discriminate against KIDS is just plain wrong.

And I intend to make some points about this issue with Apple through an attorney.

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 7, 2006, 01:43 AM

Lesson from Cody to kid: If you don't think it if fair, sue them.

Nice...

Why don't you have your son buy a Dell. Of course, he'll be paying full price, because just like Apple, Dell only has a higher education student discount.

Or, teach him an even better lesson, and buy a used laptop for less.
My website

goMac
Posting Junkie
Apr 7, 2006, 01:46 AM

Oh, you're presuming a LOT.

You PRESUME that high school kids don't live on their own. I DID. You presume that high school kids don't pay for their own things. THEY DO - A LOT OF PEOPLE HERE WILL TELL YOU THAT THEMSELVES. You presume that they don't have money issues - THAT IS LAUGHABLE. You presume that their parents just buy them things - ALSO LAUGHABLE.

Wake up and smell the roses, goMac. Life is not the way you THINK it is and students - ANY STUDENT - matters.

To discriminate against KIDS is just plain wrong.

And I intend to make some points about this issue with Apple through an attorney.
Maybe some kids do. Your kid isn't one of them.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2006, 01:47 AM

By the way? Why did all of this start some of you may ask?

Because my son, a 13-year old, received a SOLICITATION from Apple today that said, "Get your student discount today." It was an email sent to him! He was excited about it and when we called this morning to take advantage of Apple's offer - that they sent to him BECAUSE THEY KNOW THAT HE IS A STUDENT - they said, "Uh, sorry. You don't really matter. You're not old enough to have this offer."

That's exactly what "Stephanie" in Apple Education Sales said to us.

And you know what? She completely agreed that it was not right for our son to not qualify!

goMac
Posting Junkie
Apr 7, 2006, 01:49 AM

By the way? Why did all of this start some of you may ask?

Because my son, a 13-year old, received a SOLICITATION from Apple today that said, "Get your student discount today." It was an email sent to him! He was excited about it and when we called this morning to take advantage of Apple's offer - that they sent to him BECAUSE THEY KNOW THAT HE IS A STUDENT - they said, "Uh, sorry. You don't really matter. You're not old enough to have this offer."

That's exactly what "Stephanie" in Apple Education Sales said to us.

And you know what? She completely agreed that it was not right for our son to not qualify!

I'm going to go off and do other things. But I think it comes down to this. It's not Apple's job to reward your kid for hard work. That is your job as a parent. If you want to push your duties on Apple, well, good luck with that...

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 7, 2006, 01:50 AM

Cody, I suggest you take all of this energy, get a job, use it to help your kid buy his laptop, and be done with it. I didn't get a student discount when I bought my computer as a 13 year old. I also spent many thousands more than your son will, because back then computers cost a whole lot more. You know what, I dealt with it. I bought a refurbished computer to fit within my budget, and went with less than what I wanted.
So your son got an email by mistake. Big deal. I got a sales brochure in the mail today offering a free month for a product I already have. I didn't get a free month when I signed up. Should I threaten to sue them for not giving it to me?
My website

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2006, 01:52 AM

Scotttheking:

What does a Dell have to do with anything? ANYTHING?

Check it out: They solicited my son for an educational discount...and then they reneged when they found out that he's only 13. "Uh, high schoolers don't qualify for a discount" is what we were told.

Now, to some people this is a minor thing. A blip on the screen of life. You can assume that I'm just crazy, lawsuit happy, whatever.

Not only is it ethically more correct to offer it to ALL "students," but it makes good business sense also, you see?

I think a lot of the arguments here have been pretty lame and some people see my point which is only that Apple should care more about the student that is 18 and under and not solicit them for an educational discount when they're going to get the Apple door slammed in their faces.

FireWire
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2006, 01:53 AM

Exactly!

And for the other people, I have only one word to say: SELFISH. How do you explain that in almost every other area I can think of, students discount applies to everyone that has a valid student card? And in some cases, the discount is not applicable if you are, say 21 or older.

Again, nobody responded to my question about the situation in which the father pays for his child for an entrance fee, without being refused the student discount? 10$ there and there quickly amount to the 100$ Apple is offering. And what about the fact that even a janitor, or the board president can get the rebate? Fair?

And please stop quoting pintamino.. let's not let the one rotten apple spoil the entire basket...

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 7, 2006, 01:56 AM

Scotttheking:

What does a Dell have to do with anything? ANYTHING?
Go buy one. They are cheaper. Teach your son about not having enough to buy the most expensive things.

Check it out: They solicited my son for an educational discount...and then they reneged when they found out that he's only 13. "Uh, high schoolers don't qualify for a discount" is what we were told.
Big deal. It is called blanket advertising. You get offers for credit cards, but then get denied when you try and use it. Oh no!

Now, to some people this is a minor thing. A blip on the screen of life. You can assume that I'm just crazy, lawsuit happy, whatever.
You are.

Not only is it ethically more correct to offer it to ALL "students," but it makes good business sense also, you see?
1) Ethics don't matter in business.
2) Actually there is little reason to offer education discounts any more, period. The reason they were once offered is no longer valid, as I stated above.
3) Instead of being sue happy, speak with your [son's] money and take your [son's] business elsewhere instead of wasting everyone's money by filing a lawsuit.

I think a lot of the arguments here have been pretty lame and some people see my point which is only that Apple should care more about the student that is 18 and under and not solicit them for an educational discount when they're going to get the Apple door slammed in their faces.

Welcome to the real world.
My website

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2006, 01:58 AM

Scotttheking: I HAVE A JOB. I raise children, work full time, volunteer at the school, etc.

My son DOES use a "used" computer, also. Why can't he buy something new...with the DISCOUNT that Apple offers STUDENTS? HE IS A STUDENT.

You just want to defend Apple at any and all expense and not take into consideration that Apple MIGHT just be a little wrong about this. Bringing up Dell and how I should get a job is just not the point, is it?

The point is that Apple should be more equitable, that's all.

They won't be. They have 5% of the market and of that they target a minority percent of COLLEGE students and tout educational discounts when in fact they really don't want to provide ALL students with a discount, just a very narrow sector of the market.

What I've heard here at this thread are a couple of kids who said, "Yes, I deserve a student discount also - I'm a student," and others who said, "Just call up and lie about it and get it anyway."

And as far as using my energy towards other issues, I do. If everyone was apathetic and said, "I'll just do xxx instead of what I think is right," then the world would be a pretty lame place wouldn't it?

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2006, 01:59 AM

Why not give preschool students discounts? Hell, babies go through a hard crapping in their diapers and all. They have to work to learn to walk. They should have discounts too!

...Well, you have to draw the line somewhere. And Apple (among all others) drew it at the ~18yo age, when you're on your own. The way our society is, kids rely on their parents all the way until they graduate high school.

Cody Dawg, your son may work as hard and act like a college student, but he is an exception. Maybe you're right in thinking Apple should give a discount to your son in particular, but the majority of high school students don't deserve the discount.

You don't win if you're nice to everyone.

Kyle Dreaden
Forum Regular
Apr 7, 2006, 02:00 AM

Let me get this straight, and please, correct me if I'm wrong. You're going to sue Apple because they "discriminate" against kids? Your case being the fact that they give college students a 10-15% discount on products they manufacture and force anyone not under that classification to pay the retail value of said product?

Yeah, I guess that makes sense. Sounds like a great reason to sue Apple.

Are you serious? *looking around* An Attorney? Brother, I applaud you're dedication to your son and your positive reinforcement of his hard work, but let's get real here.

Life isn't fair and a frivolous lawsuit isn't going to change that. Spare yourself the extra expense and just cover the $100 discount for your kid if you feel so strongly about it.

I'm a recent high school graduate and a (soon to be) sophomore in college and honestly, I think you're going to embarrass yourself by trying to litigate this.
Desktop: 24" Aluminum/Black iMac 2.4GHz | 4GB RAM

Notebook: None | Want to buy a 12" Powerbook | PM ME!

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 7, 2006, 02:00 AM

While you are complaining about prices, could you please click the link in my sig to help pay for college, and sign up on the other end? The darn supermarket won't give me a student discount, and neither will the apartment complex. It is getting quite costly. Much appreciated.
My website

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2006, 02:02 AM

Scotttheking: Why don't YOU buy a Dell then get back to me with some real logic?

Because your logic just sucks.

You can't argue this point - you're on the verge of attacking me. Telling me to go buy a Dell and get a job and all that crap.

Let me tell you something: I've worked my way through college and lived on plenty of pizza. I worked at Microsoft for many years. I have several children and I STILL work and I have a blue collar WORKING mentality. I don't ask for handouts. Heck, I don't even owe money on a credit card. I worked several jobs while in college one of them at Microsoft that turned into a full time job.

I do demand that if someone is given privilege based on certain standards that those privileges are shared by many, not few. A student is a student is a student. What about the 16-year old emancipated student who doesn't live at home? They don't matter? There are plenty of them.

You assumed a lot about me and most of it is wrong.

I know all about Dell and yes they're CHEAPER. But this isn't about money. This is principle.

And you, Scotttheking, are also saying that kids don't matter, apparently? Wow. That sucks. Because you know what? A lot of them are dying for you in Iraq right now. (Clarified to say that there are quite a few kids that are 17 years old in the military - they were students also - students who wouldn't qualify for an Apple STUDENT discount.)

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 7, 2006, 02:07 AM

Scotttheking: Why don't YOU buy a Dell then get back to me with some real logic?

Because your logic just sucks.

You can't argue this point - you're on the verge of attacking me. Telling me to go buy a Dell and get a job and all that crap.

Let me tell you something: I've worked my way through college and lived on plenty of pizza. I worked at Microsoft for many years. I have several children and I STILL work and I have a blue collar WORKING mentality. I don't ask for handouts. I do demand that if someone is given privilege based on certain standards that those privileges are shared by many, not few. A student is a student is a student. What about the 16-year old emancipated student who doesn't live at home? They don't matter? There are plenty of them.

You assume a lot about me and most of it is wrong.

I know all about Dell and yes they're CHEAPER. But this isn't about money. This is principle.

And you, Scotttheking, are also saying that kids don't matter, apparently? Wow. That sucks. Because you know what? A lot of them are dying for you in Iraq right now.

I bought a used Mac. Thanks, but, no.

Then teach your kids to work. Teach them to only deal with companies who have policies they agree with. Teach them that sometimes they will not get their way. Teach them that throwing a temper tantrum and filing a lawsuit is not the way to go about getting what they want. Teach them to ignore marketing. Teach them that life is not always fair.

As for Iraq, I'm sorry, but no one is there dying for me. They are dying because they made the choice to join the military, and their boss (aka the president) made the decision to send them there. I did not ask them to go, I do not agree with them being there, they are not doing anything for me. Nice try. They are not kids, they are adults who made the choice to join the military.
My website

FireWire
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2006, 02:08 AM

Cost to go to 1 class in high school: $0
Cost to go to 1 class at a University: $2000 (Edit: assuming semesters, which is what I do)
- poor high-school student with poor parents = 0$ rebate
- rich college student with rich parents, lots of nice clothes, car, etc = 100$ rebate

where do you draw the line? Based on the age alone? Or the education level, ignoring the real needs?

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2006, 02:09 AM

Cody Dawg, I'm sure Apple thinks it's wrong. But they don't care that it's wrong.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Apr 7, 2006, 02:09 AM

And you, Scotttheking, are also saying that kids don't matter, apparently? Wow. That sucks. Because you know what? A lot of them are dying for you in Iraq right now. (Clarified to say that there are quite a few kids that are 17 years old in the military - they were students also - students who wouldn't qualify for an Apple STUDENT discount.)
Fortunately the kids in Iraq can get a discount with Apple.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2006, 02:10 AM

I guess I'm out of the conversation because it's going nowhere and I don't want to get to the point where I insult people here.

But the thing is that, yes, some kids can afford to spend an extra $200 if they buy a NEW iBook. Some cannot.

I just think that Apple needs to change their wording to "College Discount" instead of calling it a "Student Discount" if they don't intend to extend this to all STUDENTS.

Kyle Dreaden
Forum Regular
Apr 7, 2006, 02:10 AM

And you, Scotttheking, are also saying that kids don't matter, apparently? Wow. That sucks. Because you know what? A lot of them are dying for you in Iraq right now.
You've got to be kidding me.

(Clarified to say that there are quite a few kids that are 17 years old in the military - they were students also - students who wouldn't qualify for an Apple STUDENT discount.)
That's why there's a federal employee/military discount of the same amount.

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2006, 02:11 AM

- rich college student with rich parents, lots of nice clothes, car, etc = 100$ rebate

where do you draw the line? Based on the age alone? Or the education level, ignoring the real needs?
My argument is that if you're rich, you deserve all the benefits the rich get. This is an equal opportunity society now, come on. Let's stop complaining and feeling sorry for ourselves.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Apr 7, 2006, 02:12 AM

Ummmm... Apple already supports organizations which give computers away on a need based basis.

The real problem here is that Cody's son is not one of those kids.

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 7, 2006, 02:13 AM

I just think that Apple needs to change their wording to "College Discount" instead of calling it a "Student Discount" if they don't intend to extend this to all STUDENTS.

It says that on their site.

Personal Purchases

To buy for yourself, first choose your category.
College or university student
College or university faculty, administration, or staff member
K-12 teacher or staff member
Find out about homeschool pricing
That is who the discount applies to.
Or in other words: It is a student discount. It is a student discount for college students.
My website

Kyle Dreaden
Forum Regular
Apr 7, 2006, 02:14 AM

Nevermind.

Edit.

FireWire
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2006, 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by jamil5454
Cody Dawg, I'm sure Apple thinks it's wrong. But they don't care that it's wrong.
Originally Posted by jamil5454
My argument is that if you're rich, you deserve all the benefits the rich get. This is an equal opportunity society now, come on. Let's stop complaining and feeling sorry for ourselves.
You see, that's exactly the kind of attitude we're complaining about now. You know it's wrong, everybody thinks it's wrong, but they DEFEND that position nonetheless... We need to stand up and unite from time to time. Eh, this reminds me the thread about the AppleCare warranty... still getting nowhere with that brainwashed mentality. "That's the way it is man, we can't change nothing, why aim higher, for a better place"
Originally Posted by Scotttheking
It says that on their site. [...] Or in other words: It is a student discount. It is a student discount for college students.
I think we all know that already. But we think it should change. In all honesty, why spend so much energy to prevent students, kids, from getting a little break?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 7, 2006, 02:33 AM

On what grounds? High school students are not a protected class. The only point you're making is that you have an absurd sense of entitlement.

Along the same vein, high school and college seniors don't necessarily qualify for a "senior discount." Just in case you feel like whining about that inequity in a few years.

To be fair, though, your son sounds like a good kid. It sounds like he realizes he isn't some kind of superior being that just inherently deserves crap from Apple any more than the rest of us hard-working Joes. That's a good attitude that encourages hard work and I'm sure will lead to honest success later in life.
( Last edited by Chuckit; Apr 7, 2006 at 03:17 AM. )
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

goMac
Posting Junkie
Apr 7, 2006, 02:36 AM

You see, that's exactly the kind of attitude we're complaining about now. You know it's wrong, everybody thinks it's wrong, but they DEFEND that position nonetheless... We need to stand up and unite from time to time. Eh, this reminds me the thread about the AppleCare warranty... still getting nowhere with that brainwashed mentality. "That's the way it is man, we can't change nothing, why aim higher, for a better place" I think we all know that already. But we think it should change. In all honesty, why spend so much energy to prevent students, kids, from getting a little break?
Didn't I just tell you Apple already donates to children in need? There are already computer's in Cody's household. It's not like poor Cody's son is going without a computer to do his school work on. Cody has already said he has one, it's just not new.

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 7, 2006, 02:37 AM

Thanks for the entertainment.
My website

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2006, 02:40 AM

You see, that's exactly the kind of attitude we're complaining about now. You know it's wrong, everybody thinks it's wrong, but they DEFEND that position nonetheless... We need to stand up and unite from time to time. Eh, this reminds me the thread about the AppleCare warranty... still getting nowhere with that brainwashed mentality. "That's the way it is man, we can't change nothing, why aim higher, for a better place"
Interesting point. I was only joking. But...

Do you really think you've put more thought into this than Apple has? I'm all for changing something when it needs to be changed. I think the people at Apple, though, for the most part, are doing things right.

It's not that I don't think we can change anything. I'm all for us coming together to solve a common problem, but I don't really think this is a problem.

FireWire
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2006, 02:48 AM

Didn't I just tell you Apple already donates to children in need? There are already computer's in Cody's household. It's not like poor Cody's son is going without a computer to do his school work on. Cody has already said he has one, it's just not new.
It's a good thing, but I don't think many poor kids will qualify for this donation. We're not asking for the moon, we just want some form of recognition, or reward for the students. "You're a student? Great! Good thing! Here's for you" For the part about Cody, that's the problem with the people on this board, and the actual society to a larger extent: all you care is the local, under your nose situation. It's not about Cody's child. The thread was started because of that, but the problem reaches ALL high-school students. Please! Think a little more farther...

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 7, 2006, 02:54 AM

Wow, you manage to turn a rich white woman's grab for freebies for her son into some kind of economic disparity issue? When were we even discussing whether Apple should turn into a charity offering handouts based on economic stratum?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 7, 2006, 02:58 AM

Apple should charge based on your income.
Submit your last 5 years of tax returns, and they'll take your AGI and calculate how much the comp should cost. If you are listed as a dependent of anyone else, take their tax return and use it. Cody's son might end up paying $5,000 or $20,000 or so (depending on income, of course) for the laptop based on the fact that his parents list him as a dependent, but hey, the poor kids will get a cheaper computer. Hmm...
My website

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2006, 03:03 AM

I bought my first Mac when I was 14. I knew I couldn't get any discount through Apple, so I bought it from J&R. Without tax, it ended up being close to the same price as the Edu discount, plus I got a free printer out of it. Perhaps this would be a better way for your son to go? It'll show him how to make the most out of the money he has, rather than teaching him to sue as the first course of action.

I'm sure your son worked hard for that money, and is a good student who would make good use of a Mac for his education. I would say I was in the same situation when I got my PowerBook. The problem is, they have to draw a line somewhere. This is true of age restrictions of any kind. The fact is, people vary so widely that every restriction is going to have exceptions on both sides. Some people will be left out who deserved the discount, and some people will be given it even though they're in a financial situation where they could afford to pay full price.

If they could evaluate every person on a case-by-case basis, everyone would be happy, but that'll never happen, so they have to find a point where they can strike a balance between the cost of running the discount, and the number of people who really benefit from it. The group that benefits most is college students.

The same principal can be applied to any age restriction. I have no doubt that, at 15 years old, I would have been a competent driver. The state of New Jersey happened to disagree with me, however. Should I have sued them for age discrimination? I'm sure, if they allowed me a learner's permit, I could have shown them that I could be a competent driver, just as your son could show Apple that he deserves the discount. New Jersey could come right back to me with all sorts of studies that show that the average 15-year-old should not be driving a car, and they'd probably be right. Likewise, Apple could probably come up with customer demographics showing you that the group of high school students buying their own computers (not family computers), while it may be growing in recent years, is not large enough to grow brand loyalty by any measurable amount and outweigh the number of families who use their kids' discount to get a new family computer.

I understand your frustration with age restrictions. I graduated high school a year early, and am now finishing my first year of college. I'm living on my own, and doing quite well. I can't, however, get a credit card, or even a bank account in my own name, not to mention everything else that requires being 18. I also understand, however, that these limits were picked for a reason. You can never satisfy everybody, so you have to find the point at which you're satisfying the most people you can afford to, or public safety can afford to (in the case of drivers licenses).

"I start fires!"

goMac
Posting Junkie
Apr 7, 2006, 03:04 AM

It's a good thing, but I don't think many poor kids will qualify for this donation. We're not asking for the moon, we just want some form of recognition, or reward for the students. "You're a student? Great! Good thing! Here's for you" For the part about Cody, that's the problem with the people on this board, and the actual society to a larger extent: all you care is the local, under your nose situation. It's not about Cody's child. The thread was started because of that, but the problem reaches ALL high-school students. Please! Think a little more farther...
...Would you like Apple to give recognition to kids who can tie their shoes too? Most likely the kid did not decide to go to school. Most likely the family would be in trouble from the CPS if the kid did not go to school.

You should go to High School so you can get a good job someday so then you can afford all the computer gear you want. High school is not a discount center for getting everything you want. The reason a college discount is offered because a computer is a necessity to college students, not a want.

And like I said, if there are no computer's in the students house for the student to use... there are programs that deal with that. Either way, you can't accuse Apple of not thinking of those poor students with no computer in the house, because they are.

Demonhood
Administrator
Apr 7, 2006, 04:24 AM

it's not a "student" discount. it's an education discount.
it is provided to those who educate (teachers & college faculty).
it is provided to those seeking to further their education beyond that required by the government (college students).

that's all there is to it.

FireWire
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2006, 04:46 AM

I understand your point. However, that doesn't explain why in general society except for Apple, a student is someone who attend a school, any school, and can show a proof of enrollement. Many places offer discount for toddler (free), kids (5$), student (10$), adult (15$) and senior (12$) for example.
Originally Posted by Demonhood
it's not a "student" discount. it's an education discount.
it is provided to those who educate (teachers & college faculty).
it is provided to those seeking to further their education beyond that required by the government (college students).
That's what you (and Apple) say, but that doesn't mean that we should not ask for a more comprehensive pricing. You honestly don't think it would be better if more people could obtain a discount? Really nice... Beside, look what Apple says in big letter, on the top of their Store for education page:
Apple Store for Education
If you’re a student, teacher, administrator, or staff member, you’ll get special pricing on a full range of Apple and third-party products. Buy for yourself or for your school.
It clearly talks about being a student. Only further in the page, in smaller letters, they specify College or University. Come on!

Forum Links
Forum Rules