Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > [whine/buzz, ram, remote] Sunday mornings and my and new MB

[whine/buzz, ram, remote] Sunday mornings and my and new MB
jason24d
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 11, 2006, 03:20 PM

Hello,

I'm a new mac user with a new macbook (2.0, 1 gig in 1 slot). First off the apple experience has been pretty good. I understand what it is about macs that makes people happy. Just going from 512 to 1 gig has made the machine more responsive. 512 is nowhere near enough (in fact if I judged my macbook on 512 I'd say macs where damn slow).

The remote is awesome as it turns the macbook into a very decent media center (especially for students/travellers).

Lastly, the whine... I just heard it this morning and it was driving me crazy. Then I stepped out for a bit and did some grocery shopping... the whine is practically inaudible. I did download CHUD and turned on/off CPU2 and the noise does go away, as does holding down the mouse key and running photo booth in the background.

I want to make clear an alternative view on this whine/buzz issue. It's not loud for a normal office or home environment, in fact I would say it is practically inaudible compared to the fan noise and background noise. However, if you are a late at night worker, early morning riser or work in a quiet environment it can be quite annoying (high pitch electrical whining/buzz is not the same as harddrive or fan noise).

I was planning to return/exchange my macbook but I don't think I will. The whine will only be audible at the rare really quiet times and temporarily disabling CPU2 does the trick (I've seen some other silly little "spin" programs as well) [anyone know how to do this from the cmd line?]. Although, I am far from happy for having to deal with an issue like this especially when I was "lead" to believe that I wouldn't have this type of issue with an apple machine.

But overall, still a good experience. I've had a bit of a rant...

in_bed

Kyle Dreaden
Forum Regular
Jun 11, 2006, 03:27 PM

I'm really enjoying my new black Macbook (2GB RAM) despite the occasional moo.

Glad to hear you are as well!
Desktop: 24" Aluminum/Black iMac 2.4GHz | 4GB RAM

Notebook: None | Want to buy a 12" Powerbook | PM ME!

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2006, 03:32 PM

Out of interest, if you have 1 gig of RAM in 1 slot, why don't you use one of the 256 sticks that came with the MacBook in the other slot, giving you a max of 1.25 GB.

Also, to start with, why did you buy 1 x 1GB RAM stick. You loose a hell of a lot of graphics performance when not using 2 RAM sticks of the same size (ie 2 x 512 sticks).
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

jason24d  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 11, 2006, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by harrisjamieh
Out of interest, if you have 1 gig of RAM in 1 slot, why don't you use one of the 256 sticks that came with the MacBook in the other slot, giving you a max of 1.25 GB.

Also, to start with, why did you buy 1 x 1GB RAM stick. You loose a hell of a lot of graphics performance when not using 2 RAM sticks of the same size (ie 2 x 512 sticks).
Oh... I put the 512 in my old ASUS laptop... I know about the graphics performance issue but I just haven't had the time to buy another stick yet. But I should have made clear that I just wanted to say that the performance difference from 2x256 to 1x1gig is quite large.

http://www.kingston.com/newtech/MKF_...whitepaper.pdf

I'll ask your opinion on this... for slightly older intel chipsets dual channel needs pretty identical ram. Have any of the limitations changed for the 945 (specfically can we pair ram of different speeds 533 && 667)?

Thanks,

in_bed

HouseSold
Senior User
Jun 11, 2006, 04:49 PM

[QUOTE

I'll ask your opinion on this... for slightly older intel chipsets dual channel needs pretty identical ram. Have any of the limitations changed for the 945 (specfically can we pair ram of different speeds 533 && 667)?

Thanks,
in_bed[/QUOTE]

I was told that the slower speed will become your fastest possibility (bottleneck).

Kinda reminds me of the question of how fast is a convoy (ships)?

Only as fast as the slowest ship.

When you mix RAM types and sizes (capacities) you endure the consequences but may never notice till you see what might have been. ie. heavy iDVD or iMovie usage or even iTunes visualizer.

I tested this with my daughters' and my Macbook with 768mb and 2gb Ram respectfully.

We are now awaiting the 2nd 1gb stick for hers, as I type.

Be careful of RAM stating 667 but actually 533; my 1st Mushkins went back as 533 sold as 667.
System Profiler under memory will tell all.

Forum Links
Forum Rules