Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > VPN connection over AirPort always gets interrupted after 25min

VPN connection over AirPort always gets interrupted after 25min
Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 17, 2006, 03:49 AM

This morning a colleague of mine came to my office and described a rather weird problem. He has a PB at home hooked up to an AP base station (white) and has recently started using VPN to connect to our lab from home. But the VPN connection gets interrupted roughly every 25 minutes. He then has to manually re-establish the connection. He said that if he then just plugged the PB into the base station's LAN port and turned off the PB's AirPort interface the VPN connection would work perfectly fine over Ethernet.

That didn't immediately ring a bell. I asked him a couple of simple things that came to mind. He claims he's installed the latest firmware on the base station. He's also updated the PB to 10.4.7. He didn't know of any interference issues (wireless phones, etc.), that is, he has never observed any Airport traffic interruptions other than with VPN connections.

On the base station he's using NAT since he only gets two IP addresses from his provider but wants to connect 3 Macs.

Do you guys have any ideas where this could be coming from?

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 18, 2006, 03:49 AM

Nobody?

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 18, 2006, 07:41 AM

It could be that his broadband connection is getting interrupted every 25 minutes and the ethernet LAN handles this ok while wireless does not. What kind of broadband does he have?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 18, 2006, 10:25 AM

It's a cable modem connection. I have the same cable provider and haven't noticed periodic interruptions.

Moose
Senior User
Aug 18, 2006, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter
It could be that his broadband connection is getting interrupted every 25 minutes and the ethernet LAN handles this ok while wireless does not.
It could also be solar flares....

Is it every 25 minutes on the button? Or just "about" every 25 minutes?

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 18, 2006, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Simon
It's a cable modem connection. I have the same cable provider and haven't noticed periodic interruptions.
Cable shouldn't have any periodic interruptions-it's not uncommon for DSL to have them though. I want to hear Moose's question answered too: what is the timing for these drop outs?

I wonder if there's something about the DHCP address lease time involved here, which leads to another question: does your friend experience dropouts when surfing wirelessly WITHOUT the VPN?

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 19, 2006, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by Moose
Is it every 25 minutes on the button? Or just "about" every 25 minutes?
Yeah, I should have made that more clear. It is roughly every 25 minutes.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 19, 2006, 05:52 AM

I wonder if there's something about the DHCP address lease time involved here, which leads to another question: does your friend experience dropouts when surfing wirelessly WITHOUT the VPN?
He claims that he never experiences wireless dropouts otherwise.

He also says that VPN directly over the cable modem works, it just gets interrupted when the AP base station is in between and he's using AP to connect. I'm wondering if this is some kind of incompatibility between VPN and the AP base station...

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 19, 2006, 08:48 AM

Double

I hate mysteries without enough clues to get going on-or when all the clues are negative, like now.

I can't think of how a VPN would be incompatible with the ABS-it's got to be a tunneling-like protocol of some kind. What VPN is it specifically?

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 20, 2006, 09:58 AM

Yeah, it's really not a "nice" problem.

It's a Cisco VPN client software. Normal Mac OS X installer. Doesn't mention any incompatibility with AP.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 20, 2006, 11:13 AM

The Cisco VPN is reputed to be quite compatible with everything. Very odd.

One thought: is your friend's Mac configured with a larger or smaller than normal MTU? If the Maximum Transmission Unit is too small it could cause problems through the wireless link. And if it's still set at the default 1500, that could goober up traffic too.

All tunneling protocols (including PPPoE) take a bite out of the data packet (the "transmission unit" by another name), so if your friend's machine is trying to put 1500 bytes through a tube that only can hold say 1400 due to tunneling wrapper data, the authentication of the packets could be completely lost. If he's trying to put 500 bytes through it could mess up the VPN's error management too.

Moose
Senior User
Aug 20, 2006, 04:20 PM

Yeah, I should have made that more clear. It is roughly every 25 minutes.
So he'll be actively sending data over the VPN connection and it will just drop? He's absolutely positive he's not hitting an idle timeout?

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 21, 2006, 03:08 AM

The Cisco VPN is reputed to be quite compatible with everything. Very odd.
Good to know. He thought it might be the client software, since it's not Apple's built-in VPN client. So that's probably not it.

One thought: is your friend's Mac configured with a larger or smaller than normal MTU? If the Maximum Transmission Unit is too small it could cause problems through the wireless link. And if it's still set at the default 1500, that could goober up traffic too.
I doubt he messed around with that, at least not deliberately. He's certainly not a 'power-user'. I can ask him. I don't know this Cisco VPN client (because I prefer to use remote ssh logins, port forwarding, etc. rather than VPN) - where would he change the MTU in the Cisco client?

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 21, 2006, 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by Moose
So he'll be actively sending data over the VPN connection and it will just drop? He's absolutely positive he's not hitting an idle timeout?
He says he's reading and sending email. From what I understand, he's not just letting the connection idle for 25 min. But I'll ask again to make sure.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 21, 2006, 03:11 AM

Btw, thanks for your help guys, I really appreciate it. I know it's definitely not a very entertaining problem.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 21, 2006, 04:18 AM

Here's an update:

• He didn't fool around with any MTU setting at all.
• It is definitely a timeout, but it only happens when connected over AP. He says he gets a message like 'The connection has been closed by the server because the timeout has been reached', but he only gets it when connected over AP. When he does the exact same VPN connection but over Ethernet (direct cable connection between PB and cable modem) he doesn't get the timeout.

Is there some kind of communication to keep the VPN connection alive that happens on a port that isn't forwarded by the APBS's NAT?

Moose
Senior User
Aug 21, 2006, 05:47 AM

When he does the exact same VPN connection but over Ethernet (direct cable connection between PB and cable modem) he doesn't get the timeout.
Does he get it when he's wired to the Airport's internal ethernet interface?

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 21, 2006, 07:46 AM

He's tried that as well and it works. He doesn't get the timeouts when he connects the PB to the base station's LAN port.

Moose
Senior User
Aug 21, 2006, 07:53 AM

He's tried that as well and it works. He doesn't get the timeouts when he connects the PB to the base station's LAN port.
Curious.

Is it possible to download a large file from a host on the network to which he's connecting?

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 21, 2006, 08:09 AM

I don't think he can do that. The quota there is barely enough for email.

ink
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2006, 10:00 PM

Here's an update:

• He didn't fool around with any MTU setting at all.
• It is definitely a timeout, but it only happens when connected over AP. He says he gets a message like 'The connection has been closed by the server because the timeout has been reached', but he only gets it when connected over AP. When he does the exact same VPN connection but over Ethernet (direct cable connection between PB and cable modem) he doesn't get the timeout.

Is there some kind of communication to keep the VPN connection alive that happens on a port that isn't forwarded by the APBS's NAT?
I wonder if the Airport filters out TCP keepalive packets....?

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 26, 2006, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by ink
I wonder if the Airport filters out TCP keepalive packets....?
Now that sounds like something that could explain this strange behavior! Does anybody know AP well enough to comment on that?

Forum Links
Forum Rules