Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > HD TV recommendations

HD TV recommendations
Kyle Dreaden
Forum Regular
Dec 7, 2006, 02:52 PM

Hey everyone -

I'm looking at getting a new TV for my bedroom around the holidays. I finally got tired of my computer display (23" ACD) being bigger and nicer than my TV (20" SDTV), hah!

So, I'd like recommendations in the range of $500 - $800 USD, 30" or bigger, LCD, projection, or Tube. As long as it's HD I'm fine. Not exactly hurting to save space.

So, anyone?

Kyle
Desktop: 24" Aluminum/Black iMac 2.4GHz | 4GB RAM

Notebook: None | Want to buy a 12" Powerbook | PM ME!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 7, 2006, 02:57 PM

HD tube ? Does that exist ?

Also, no HD projection (if you mean a projector) in that pricerange. Rear projection, possible, but wouldn't go that route.

-t

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Dec 7, 2006, 02:58 PM

well, you probably won't get a set that does true 1080p for that price...

but both Phillips and LG make 32" LCD HDTV's for around $1100 list; bet you can find them close to $850 at some local stores. $50 more than you want to spend though, i understand.

at the 30" range and in your price range, you can get Phillips tube

Buy the Philips 30" Widescreen Tube HDTV (30PW9110D) and other Tube TVs at circuitcity.com

or a 30" slimfit tube from Samsung...

Buy the Samsung 30" Slimfit HDTV (TXS3082W) and other Tube TVs at circuitcity.com

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 7, 2006, 03:02 PM

Not Plasma and not DLP if it uses a colour wheel.

LCOS (front or rear projection) looks the best followed by LCD rear projection, then LCD flat panel.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

Kyle Dreaden  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 7, 2006, 03:04 PM

Thanks for the quick response guys! I meant Rear Projection, not a projector, but thanks for clarifying.

In regards to the resolution I can get for that price, let me put it this way. The only HD sources I'll be viewing will be coming from my DirecTV service (ESPN, HBO, etc.) as well as my XBox 360. I may add the HD-DVD player to my xbox as well.

What will not having 1080p mean in those senses?

Kyle

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Dec 7, 2006, 03:11 PM

You will be just fine; was just throwing that out there that you won't get 1080p is all in that price range..

LCD flat panel though, for a major brand, will start just above the $800 range you mentioned. Those two tube TVs linked above will do you fine if you want to stay within your budget.

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Dec 7, 2006, 03:12 PM

The best picture (w/ HD and SD) is still a tube, if you don't need to save space or don't mind the weight.

Sony KD-34XBR970 34" 16:9 XBR Hi-Scan TV
"It's weird the way 'finger puppets' sounds ok as a noun..."

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2006, 03:17 PM

The other day I was in Walmart and decided to look at the tv's and I saw a 32" Panasonic for 750. I was stunned because that same tv goes for almost $200 more at best buy. I think I might have to break down and pick one of those up actually...

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 7, 2006, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by cjrivera View Post
The best picture (w/ HD and SD) is still a tube, if you don't need to save space or don't mind the weight.

Sony KD-34XBR970 34" 16:9 XBR Hi-Scan TV
Well yes and no. CRTs do have the best black levels but as far as sharpness they are not as good as the more modern technologies.

SVass
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2006, 05:41 PM

Sharp makes a good 32" LCD set that is available at Costco for around $1k. Their 37" 1080p set is less than 2k. sam

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 7, 2006, 05:49 PM

If you have an Xbox make sure you get a set that supports 1080p over COMPONENT as the 360 has no HDMI and many TV's don't accept 1080p over component.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Dec 7, 2006, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
If you have an Xbox make sure you get a set that supports 1080p over COMPONENT as the 360 has no HDMI and many TV's don't accept 1080p over component.
I highly doubt that he'll be getting 1080p in that price range.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Dec 7, 2006, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by what_the_heck View Post
HD tube ? Does that exist ?
Absolutely, and they have the best picture. They're big and heavy, but they look fantastic.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 7, 2006, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
I highly doubt that he'll be getting 1080p in that price range.
That was an "in the event of you're going to persuade yourself into something better" post as if he gets HD-DVD he might want to spend more for 1080p.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 7, 2006, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by wallinbl View Post
Absolutely, and they have the best picture. They're big and heavy, but they look fantastic.
Again, for the most part best black levels but in brightness and sharpness they are beat by LCD, DLP etc.

Plus they get burn in and are big sons a bitches.

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 7, 2006, 06:49 PM

Again, for the most part best black levels but in brightness and sharpness they are beat by LCD, DLP etc.

Plus they get burn in and are big sons a bitches.
Really? Cause my tube never got burn ins. I thought only CRT projections and plasmas get burn ins.
iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 7, 2006, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Velocity211 View Post
Really? Cause my tube never got burn ins. I thought only CRT projections and plasmas get burn ins.
Nope. Ever see ATM's?

gethigh
Forum Regular
Dec 7, 2006, 07:46 PM

From here:
People confused about High Definition TV's look here. - Jinxworld Forums

People confused about High Definition TV's look here.

I know a lot of people go cross eyed when hearing about 480p this and 1080i that. DLP, LCD, Plasma, CRT...who can keep all this crap straight?

Well if you are looking to get a fancy new HDTV for your gaming, then hopefully this helps.(It should help out if you are looking for an HDTV in general, just ignore the bits about gaming.)

1080p is the best of the best right now. Not a lot of the launch titles (PS3)support 1080p, but there are a few, and most likely a few months to a year down the road they will all be 1080p. 360 can now do 1080p so while it will take a while, it looks like this is the resolution we are moving towards if people want the best of the best when it comes to screen displays.

If you can't afford a 1080p make sure that the tv at least goes to 720p. While not as good as 1080p, it is still a hell of a nice looking resolution.

Which leads us to 1080i, almost identical to 720p...however as of right now the PS3 does NOT support 1080i, and will downscale the resolution to 480p(the lowest of high def resolutions, and just barely high def) if your tv does not have 720p. There may be a patch one day to let the PS3 play in 1080i, but right now that's not been confirmed. They say they are working on it, but they may never perfect it, or a number of other things that might prevent it from being released. Or it may come out next week, but I wouldn't take the chance if you are buying a new set now.

If you have a 360 then it will upscale to 1080i, so no worries there. But if you have or are looking to get a PS3 then I'd avoid a tv that does not have 720p.

So if you are on a budget make sure the tv has 720p. If you have the extra cash go for the 1080p set(Do NOT get a plasma tv, they have bad burn in ratios when used for video games...in layman's terms if you play video games on a plasma screen you will destroy the set in a short period of time). So go for LCD or DLP as the screen type if you plan on playing lots of games on the set.

Readers digest version. No plasma. Get LCD or DLP. MUST at least have 720p, but 1080p is the best option if you can afford it. Avoid 1080i tv's that do NOT have 720p.

As for the screen types: Projection screens are the lowest of the totem pole when it comes to picture quality. Now this doesn't mean they are bad looking by any stretch of the imagination. LCD is next best with DLP and Plasma rounding out the best of the best when it comes to picture quality.
However be very aware, as stated above, that while the Plasma picture is about the best you can get, if you plan on using the tv for gaming, you will get pixel burn in very quickly, so avoid Plasma if you are a gamer. DLP is the way to go. It's more expensive, but it has a better picture than the LCD, and doesn't have the burn in of Plasma.

Hope this helps.

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Dec 7, 2006, 08:13 PM

"It's weird the way 'finger puppets' sounds ok as a noun..."

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2006, 08:15 PM

goMac
Posting Junkie
Dec 7, 2006, 08:22 PM

It's a decent tv. The contrast ratio is a little lower than average, but the price can't be beat.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Dec 7, 2006, 09:14 PM

So here's a question. If my TV is native 720P and can also display 1080i signals, should I allow my XBox 360 to upconvert to 1080i or output directly to 720P? Or does it automatically upconvert to 1080i if it can?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 7, 2006, 09:29 PM

16 ms response time? 800:1 contrast ratio? No thanks.

I'm trying to get a 32" Westinghouse - $699 at Best Buy. 8 ms response time, 1000:1 contrast ratio, 720p. I'm not playing my 360 on a screen with a 16 ms response time.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 7, 2006, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
So here's a question. If my TV is native 720P and can also display 1080i signals, should I allow my XBox 360 to upconvert to 1080i or output directly to 720P? Or does it automatically upconvert to 1080i if it can?
This is said to be a matter of preference, but I'd much rather stay at 720p.

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2006, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
16 ms response time? 800:1 contrast ratio? No thanks.

I'm trying to get a 32" Westinghouse - $699 at Best Buy. 8 ms response time, 1000:1 contrast ratio, 720p. I'm not playing my 360 on a screen with a 16 ms response time.
I wouldn't play a 360 on any LCD.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Dec 7, 2006, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by the_glassman View Post
I wouldn't play a 360 on any LCD.
Any reason why? I play on an LCD (8 ms response time) and it's fantastic.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 7, 2006, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
Any reason why? I play on an LCD (8 ms response time) and it's fantastic.
I think it was a dig on 360, not LCDs. Then again, I could be wrong. Please clarify, glassman.

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 7, 2006, 10:36 PM

Nope. Ever see ATM's?

you watch movies on ATMs?

thats bad ass

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

goMac
Posting Junkie
Dec 7, 2006, 10:41 PM

Nope. Ever see ATM's?
You only get burn in with still images. I doubt this is much of a problem with CRT TV's.

I've never had a CRT get burn in. ATM's on the other hand display static-ish images often, which is why those get burn in. Same thing on the train where they have a GPS screen constantly going that is not very dynamic.

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 7, 2006, 11:16 PM

Nope. Ever see ATM's?
What? you better not be talking about the thing at the bank

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 7, 2006, 11:40 PM

You only get burn in with still images.
Uh, how else would you get them?

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2006, 12:51 AM

still curious, do you watch movies on ATM screens? if so, what happens if there is a line of people behind you wanting to get some cash?

and are you comparing a CRT at an ATM to a HD CRT?

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2006, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by G4ME View Post
still curious, do you watch movies on ATM screens? if so, what happens if there is a line of people behind you wanting to get some cash?

and are you comparing a CRT at an ATM to a HD CRT?
What in the world are you going on about.

Someone didn't think CRT's got burn in, I mentioned ATM's are CRT's and do.

HD-CRT's rear projector and tube get burn in, so does plasma.

What's the problem?

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 8, 2006, 01:09 AM

Well we're talking about the CRTs in tube tvs and computer monitors, not the ones in ATMs. These usually don't get burn ins

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2006, 01:32 AM

or not as noticable at that on an ATM,

I have never noticed burn in on any of the CRTs i have owned

granted i don't play video games endlessly

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2006, 01:37 AM

When's the last time you saw a CRT TV that had burn-in? I'm not saying it couldn't happen but it just isn't an issue. If you let fear of burn-in keep you from getting a CRT tube TV you need to go outside and hit yourself in the head with a brick, 'cuz you are a retard.

All HDTV's have their advantages and drawbacks. It's just a matter of which ones you can live with.

In your price range you are probably gonna be limited to CRT tube or CRT rear projection. I personally wouldn't take a CRT rear projection for free. (except maybe to sell)
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2006, 01:54 AM

Well we're talking about the CRTs in tube tvs and computer monitors, not the ones in ATMs. These usually don't get burn ins
You're right, not 4:3 ones.

But when 16:9 widescreens came out many people still watch 4:3 shows and don't stretch the picture. This DOES EASILY cause burn in by making the centre part of the TV brighter.

You also see it in bars as the TV's there have the station logo burnt on the screen.

My friends father's had had the CNN logo burnt onto the CRT RP screen 8 months after taking it out of the box.

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2006, 02:00 AM

My friends father's had had the CNN logo burnt onto the CRT RP screen 8 months after taking it out of the box.

is that uncommon?

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2006, 02:27 AM

You're right, not 4:3 ones.

But when 16:9 widescreens came out many people still watch 4:3 shows and don't stretch the picture. This DOES EASILY cause burn in by making the centre part of the TV brighter.

You also see it in bars as the TV's there have the station logo burnt on the screen.

There is a difference between RP and standard CRT tube, which one are we talking about here because no was was questioning the burn-in issues of CRT RP TV's.

CRT TUBE TV's have NO burn-in issues to speak of.

CRT RP TV's burn-in like a motherf*cker.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

Visnaut
Senior User
Dec 8, 2006, 02:55 AM

If you can stretch your budget, I'd seriously recommend one of Westinghouse's 1080p monitors.

I have the 42" Model and the picture and brightness are absolutely stunning. There is a huge noticeable difference between 1080i content and 720p. Don't get me wrong, 720p is worlds better than standard def television, but the sharpness and detail you see in 1080i/p images is out of this world.

My rationale is, if you're going to go high-def, why go halfway? Go for a set that can handle the highest res possible and as more content becomes available in that format, you won't feel left out.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Dec 8, 2006, 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by Visnaut View Post
If you can stretch your budget, I'd seriously recommend one of Westinghouse's 1080p monitors.
These are the ones I am looking at (the 37 and 42 inchers). The catch with these is you need a cable box, no built in tuner. You can find the 37" for around $1100-$1200 and the 42" for $1500.

Spectre or whatever has a 42" you can get for $1300 on Newegg. It is 1080p and has a built in tuner.

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2006, 03:20 AM

i'd hate to pay shipping from new egg on that

goMac
Posting Junkie
Dec 8, 2006, 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by G4ME View Post
i'd hate to pay shipping from new egg on that
Yeah, I'm probably going to try to get a TV in Portland (no tax) and get it brought up here on the train with me. Or, if I go start school back up in Portland like I'm thinking, I'll just keep it down there. It might be better in since I expect by mid next year when moving would happen, HD-TV prices will have lowered considerably.

Edit: Oh, the Sceptre or whatever has free shipping.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2006, 03:30 AM

Crutchfield has the 42" for $1500 with free shipping.

cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 8, 2006, 07:09 AM

I've had my plasma (panasonic) for a year now and I don't have the any burn-in issues.
-How pumped would you be driving home from work, knowing someplace in your house there's a monkey you're gonna battle?

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Dec 8, 2006, 08:29 AM

It's a decent tv. The contrast ratio is a little lower than average, but the price can't be beat.
The manufacturers all determine contrast ratio in their own way, so they're not really comparable from one to another.

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2006, 08:37 AM

I got a Toshiba 32 WL66 after looking at all of the options. It's "HD Ready" as opposed to full HD. 2hdmi inputs which is a bonus. I got it for around 800Eur after some bargain hunting. It was rated in all of the pro magazines as the best in its class even though it was cheaper than some of the competition. So far I'm very happy with it.

The one I would say that is that it's very difficult to find any HD content. I'm very glad I didn't get full HD (which was available from 37" up). Most of the stuff you see on TV isn't broadcast in HD (in France anyway) and unless you've got a blue ray or HD DVD drive, you're pretty limited in what you can do with it. I figure that by the time full HD content is readily available, it'll be time to upgrade the TV.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Dec 8, 2006, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Troll View Post
The one I would say that is that it's very difficult to find any HD content.
I hardly watch any SD content anymore. I get all the local channels, Discovery and ESPN in HD, and that's all I really need.

Kyle Dreaden  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 8, 2006, 11:23 AM

Wow! Thanks guys.

After hearing everything that was said, I think I may reevaluate my budget and go for one with 1080p, just so I only have to buy once for a while.

Thanks again!

Kyle

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2006, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by wallinbl View Post
I hardly watch any SD content anymore. I get all the local channels, Discovery and ESPN in HD, and that's all I really need.
Is that full HD (1080p) or 1080i?

I get a lot of HD channels too but that doesn't help if the content wasn't recorded in HD. HD cameras haven't been around for that long so we don't get the full benefit. The Football World Cup was the first sports event to be broadcast in HD and since then I haven't seen any sports events broadcast in full HD. ESPN might be capable of broadcasting in full HD but I bet a lot of the content isn't being recorded in full HD.

Forum Links
Forum Rules